Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striploin Vension receipe

Options
  • 13-11-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Was looking around for a nice receipe for a piece of striploin vension that i have to cook and nothing really getting the juices going for me . Any suggestions out there or also on the best way to cook it ? All ideas welcome. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

My favourite would be to substitute the venison for the beef in a boeuf bourguignon recipe. Venison bourguignon I suppose you would call it.

This one is particularly good:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/06/nigel-slater-classic-boeuf-bourguignon

I would be using the oven to cook this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

nompere wrote: »
    My favourite would be to substitute the venison for the beef in a boeuf bourguignon recipe. Venison bourguignon I suppose you would call it.

This one is particularly good:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/06/nigel-slater-classic-boeuf-bourguignon

I would be using the oven to cook this.

Would that not be a waste of striploin?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Itsdacraic wrote: »

It would be imo.
    I think the striploin would be too lean for stewing.

Probably too late for op but:
    Lean venison cooks very quickly - best served rare.
    This is what I like with venison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Itsdacraic wrote: »

All I can say is that it has been delicious and tender each time I've done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm sure its tasty. And its slow cooked, so any cut will be tender.
    But I think his point was that venison striploin is suitable for lot of other stuff that tougher cuts wouldn't be.
    So use it for something suitable for a lean cut and get a different cut for the stew. Then again, soem people might jsut perfer leans cuts, even in a stew, its up to you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

nompere wrote: »
    All I can say is that it has been delicious and tender each time I've done it.

It would still taste fine and be very soft, but the thing about stewing is, it much better suits pieces of venison like neck and shoulder which had more fat and connective tissues to break down and enrich the stew.

Striploin venison is an amazingly tender piece of meat and IMO is best used when cooked hot and fast.

I'd treak it like a very good beef steak and either cook it on a very hot pan or griddle.

Grind some salt, pepper and juniper berries in a pestal and mortar, season the venison with it and then drizzle a tiny bit of rapeseed oil on it and rub it in, throw it onto your griddle and cook for 2 minutes, turning every 30 seconds.

Let it rest for 5 minutes in a warm plate somewhere warm.

You could make a very good pan jus with the fondt from the cooking, add a knob of butter to the pan/griddle with a finely chopped shallot, let it sweat a little and then add some good stock and a teaspoon of good cranberry sauce, let it all recude and season, u could serve it with something like pureed parsnip or celeriac mash or just some creamy mashed spuds and some nice wilted kale.

Might be a bit late for the OP but a worth a try for anyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It would be imo.
    I think the striploin would be too lean for stewing.

Probably too late for op but:
    Lean venison cooks very quickly - best served rare.
    This is what I like with venison.

must try that risotto, sounds like it would go amazingly with a bottle of Goose Island IPA :)

Advertisement