Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do people find the time

Options
  • 13-11-2011 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I bought a PS3 6 weeks ago and I have 4 games

Fifa 2012
    Dark Souls
    Batman
    Uncharted 3

I have barely touched fifa, Dark Souls took up a good bit of my time until Batman Arkham city came out and then when Uncharted 3 came out I stopped playing batman.I am eyeing up getting Skyrim next, I have decided to focus all my attention on Uncharted 3 for now as I think it will be the easiest to complete, its certainly the shortest. Once thats finished ill trade it in for Skyrim, the thing is though I have a fulltime job and dont spend my whole evening playing games, how long will it take to complete Dark Souls, Batman and Skyrim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I bought a PS3 6 weeks ago and I have 4 games

Fifa 2012
    Dark Souls
    Batman
    Uncharted 3

I have barely touched fifa, Dark Souls took up a good bit of my time until Batman Arkham city came out and then when Uncharted 3 came out I stopped playing batman.I am eyeing up getting Skyrim next, I have decided to focus all my attention on Uncharted 3 for now as I think it will be the easiest to complete, its certainly the shortest. Once thats finished ill trade it in for Skyrim, the thing is though I have a fulltime job and dont spend my whole evening playing games, how long will it take to complete Dark Souls, Batman and Skyrim?
    Depends on what you want outta the game, how many hours you put in, but for skyrim and dark souls easily 200 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

There was a poster in the Dark Souls thread who'd beaten it in 45 hours which is pretty good going (although he missed a lot of areas) so you're lookign at that as the minimum. I'm near the end with 78 hours clocked up!

I know what you're saying though, it is hard to find the time with so many worthwhile games out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Having a girlfriend and a job is really hurting my Skyrim playing time right now... DAMN YOU REAL LIFE //sobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I just wait until I've gotten all I want out of a game before I move on to the next. I don't really feel the need to play everything immediately, Skyrim will be just as good in a few months time.

I've noticed lately that many people seem to view gaming as an obligation, rather than a passtime. I love games as much as anyone here, but whole "gotta play it now" mentality has started to irk me lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr. K wrote: »
    I just wait until I've gotten all I want out of a game before I move on to the next. I don't really feel the need to play everything immediately, Skyrim will be just as good in a few months time.

I've noticed lately that many people seem to view gaming as an obligation, rather than a passtime. I love games as much as anyone here, but whole "gotta play it now" mentality has started to irk me lately!

I know what you mean to an extent but at the same time some games really are enhanced when you can discuss them blow-by-blow on boards (Dark Souls).

If I wait 3 months to get it cheap or whatever, there isn't that same hive of activity on the threads..."omg did you see that boss?" etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

noodler wrote: »
    I know what you mean to an extent but at the same time some games really are enhanced when you can discuss them blow-by-blow on boards (Dark Souls).

If I wait 3 months to get it cheap or whatever, there isn't that same hive of activity on the threads..."omg did you see that boss?" etc etc

this really, some games I want to play on day one, like Uncharted, otherwise it wont hae the same impact later on when you find out about segments or get spoilers a few months down the line.

Lately I finished Arkham, Uncharted, MW3's campaign, (you can do that in a day though) and have started Skyrim, which will take forever but I'll plot along in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Have to agree with Mr K, dont know how people manage to afford to be buying all these game at release but that aside people just seem to rush through games so they can get onto the next as soon as possible.

I rarely buy games at release and I'm usually about a year behind, currently playing Arkham Asylum and Dead Space, got Deus Ex lined up afterwards before eventually getting to Skyrim. I prefer to enjoy a game at my own pace and just pick up a new game when I'm done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Its just a really bad time of year, All the good game releases are/were in and around the same time period resulting in.. well your problem.

While there is still 2 big releases to come(Assassins Creed and Saints Row) the next few months have nothing major being released so don't feel you have to complete them all as fast as you can as you will have plenty of time to do so;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I don't mind waiting to play certain games tbh. If I find myself playing one for a while, like me and BF3 multiplayer at the moment and I know that I won't be able to pull myself away from it for at least another few months, then I'll hold off buying anything else until my interest in what I am playing wanes.

Just as an example of myself, I bought BF3 and Batman AC at the exact same time. Probably played Batman for about half an hour or so when I had to reset my router several times over during the week. BF3 on the other hand, I'm nearing 20 hours on it since I got them both last Monday evening.

For the few games that I've an interest in over the coming and recent months; Assassins Creed, Saints Row 3, Uncharted 3, Deus Ex and Mass Effect 3 being the main ones, I think I'll hold out until the annual game lull before purchasing them. I still have Batman to play after all.

I didn't buy Portal 2 for months (only got it in September) just because I was still too busy playing BF:BC2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I had to put Skyrim on the long finger, as i know i'm going to want to play nothing but it once i get it. I'll get it early next year i'd say.

Still haven't played Gears of War 3, and no intention of playing it until i can get it cheap.

Any game with multiplayer usually needs to be played on or near release, as some games lost the online following fairly soon after release due to other releases, and as such you don't get to experience it properly. Dead Rising 2 for example, the online was quite fun but i haven't been able to get a game on it for ages.

But, i don't have any other pastimes or interests really, so all my spare time is on gaming. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The best thing I did this autumn:

I just ignored most of the releases, got only bare essentials.

I got only:

Space marine
    Heroes 6
    Bf3
    Mw3 ( only because it was very very cheap, so don't judge me :) )

Even with just these games I only play bf3 now... I can't find more time for heroes 6 and I really love them!!

I skipped on everything else and saved alot of money. I am looking at the pile of good games that I played for 2-5 hours and started on next hot game... Not anymore.

Multiplayer games like bf3 are the worst! I am going near 40h played already! And I got misses and full time job!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

noodler wrote: »

Yeah, that makes sense. But it's really just getting caught up in the buzz, isn't it? Does the Boards discussion really enhance the experience that much? So many single player game threads just become people sounding off once they finish it and talking about how much they loved/hated the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I wouldn't look at a discussion post once a game is out until I finish because people play at different paces. I know a friend who could have most games finished the weekend they come out. Last thing I need is him posting here about something amazing. At least if I meet him in person I can quieten him pretty lively!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have a fulltime job. Problem is, my girlfriend dumped me, so the line between employment/games, suddenly became an iron curtain. Suddenly, with no significant other half, even with a full time job, my life's become a whirlwind of 'I can afford anything -consoles, games, pc's, monitors, tv's, accesories....'...it's a scary feeling to be quite brutally honest, once which I wouldn't wish upon anyone, regardless of the associations they may have...The world is my oyster. Currently I have the 250g Xbox, 40" HD tv, another bedroom 28" Hd tv, 24" 3D TV, Xbox, Marantz Amp plus speakers, But....it's not enough. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Tell me about it I still have:
    bioshock,
    knights of the old republic,
    Psychonauts,
    Neverwinter Nights 2,
    and others,

that I bought on the steam sale to get through.I have a new job and and evening course my game time has dribbled to an hour a day if i'm lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

I find staying up till ungodly hours works...getting use to having 4 hours sleep and droopy eyes...its a good look!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

At the moment I'm working on Alan Wake, Dead Space 2, and Bulletstorm. That's not including still having things to do in Vanquish, and there being a few DS titles on the side. In fairness though, I'm in no rush with any of them, so I'm kinda taking them at my leasure

I am STILL working through Deadly Premonition, collecting those darned trading cards.

I bought Metro 2033 in January, it's still in its packaging....

Advertisement