Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ringed finches

• 13-11-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I took photos of finches feeding at our bird table today near Sligo, and noticed that some of them have been ringed.

Do any of you experienced ornithologists know who ringed these birds, to what purpose or where they were ringed?

I checked the birds with a pair of 10 x 50 binoculars, but could not decipher any of the markings.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

A friend of mine does a lot of ringing in Sligo, especially around Tubbercurry. Could be some of his birds. Ringing studies are carried out to track migration routes and longevity.

You can contact him through this site: sligobirding.com

Also, they are Chaffinches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fid10

Thank you V Moth for your speedy reply. Information much appreciated - I have checked out the Bird Watch Ireland site as suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Those little rings are almost impossible to read without retrapping the bird - which you can only do as a licensed ringer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

V_Moth wrote: »
    A friend of mine does a lot of ringing in Sligo, especially around Tubbercurry.

I know two ringers, and I'm sure there are many more, who catch 100s of birds passing through their garden over autumn and winter. One has shown there is a continual passage of new birds through his garden.

Michael is doing his bit for swift conservation.

Mark

Advertisement