Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on Trap / Skeet Gun

Options
  • 13-11-2011 9:57pm

Hi all.

Im looking to purchase a second Shotgun for the use of Trap / Skeet Shooting as my current under and over is only really suitable for hunting. I have a max budget of 1000 so I'm not too sure what type of budget gun to puchase. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hi all.

Im looking to purchase a second Shotgun for the use of Trap / Skeet Shooting as my current under and over is only really suitable for hunting. I have a max budget of 1000 so I'm not too sure what type of budget gun to puchase. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

You should be able to get a Miroku for that money.

Alternatively you could sell your current shotgun and get a Beretta 682 Sporting and use it for both? I have one, I don't know if it would be fast enough for skeet, but it's great for down the line...

• Glensman wrote: »
    Hi all.

Thanks.

You should be able to get a Miroku for that money.

Alternatively you could sell your current shotgun and get a Beretta 682 Sporting and use it for both? I have one, I don't know if it would be fast enough for skeet, but it's great for down the line...

Just done some research on the mirokus, looks like a really nice gun. Specifically the mk70 sporter. I'm gonna tip down to the local gun shop first and get some prices, Il get back to you.

Just done some research on the mirokus, looks like a really nice gun. Specifically the mk70 sporter. I'm gonna tip down to the local gun shop first and get some prices, Il get back to you.

I like them. They come up fast and level for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Hi all.

Thanks.

Mick,

First you need to identify whether it will be trap or skeet that you will be shooting.
    Very few people are capable of shooting both of the disciplines with the same gun.
    Trap and skeet guns are generally at polar opposites to each other in their construction and balance and expected performance criterion.

May I suggest that you look for maybe a 30 inch barrel sporter with multi chokes and an adjustable comb that might reasonably cover all eventualities.

Mirokus are a nice gun, but initially Gunfit is the most important concern of any shooter before any particular make or model is considered.

Where in the country are you ?

• M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hi all.

Thanks.

Mick,

First you need to identify whether it will be trap or skeet that you will be shooting.
    Very few people are capable of shooting both of the disciplines with the same gun.
    Trap and skeet guns are generally at polar opposites to each other in their construction and balance and expected performance criterion.

May I suggest that you look for maybe a 30 inch barrel sporter with multi chokes and an adjustable comb that might reasonably cover all eventualities.

Mirokus are a nice gun, but initially Gunfit is the most important concern of any shooter before any particular make or model is considered.

I'm in Athlone, trap is what I enjoy the most. I have only started out this year (August) and am really enjoying it but I really require a better gun for the sport. My current gun baikal was not designed for firing hundreds of rounds at any one time. I have got a price on a miroku mk38, I'm not sure what grade but it has a fixed choke. He's looking for 700 second hand. I have a picture if I can upload it.
    316oo05.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

Miroku 38 are a great gun i had one and loved it and i will be buying another again when funds allow, Pat sludds would also fit an adjustable stock if you wanted it total cost would be 800/850 good gun for the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Mick,

+1 to all of that.

I did a fair bit of sporting and skeet during the last couple of months.

I was using a Bettinsoli Nexus Sporter 28" barrel.
    I love the gun and had great shooting with it. It was perfect for Skeet as it was gun to swing.
    I was looking into getting some extended chokes for it to make it better for sporting.

Gun Fit is a must!

I know the shop you were in from the picture. Make sure to shop around.

Try James McBride. He opens at 7.30 and always has a good selection of guns.

• I bought my first gun off mcbride although he kinda roverpriced me with the baikal over and under as i payed 450 for it..ouch!
    I would of had hardly any knowledge on guns back then.

I'm intending on holding onto the baikal and applying for second lisence.

The fit on the moroku feels good when mounted. The trigger is perfectly reached by my finger if thats what you mean.

Is it a good price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I bought my first gun off mcbride although he kinda roverpriced me with the baikal over and under as i payed 450 for it..ouch!
    I would of had hardly any knowledge on guns back then.

I'm intending on holding onto the baikal and applying for second lisence.

The fit on the moroku feels good when mounted. The trigger is perfectly reached by my finger if thats what you mean.

Is it a good price?

Are you able to travel?

What I have been taught about gun fit was you should be able to mount to your shoulder and then you should be able to look straight down the rib with no movements of the head or neck. Also you should be able to scratch the tip of your nose with your thumb when the gun is mounted.
    It is hard to explain without showing you what I mean.

I'm not sure on the price as I'm not sure on prices of moroku

dev110 wrote: »
    Are you able to travel?

It's dead easy to buy guns from England and import them if you want.
    I have bought 2 guns from england and I imported a .22lr to the south for the brother in law.

Unbelievably hassle-free.

It would give you a better selection. All you have to do is find the make/model you are after then shop around.

Of course if you buy Irish, you support Irish jobs.
    But I saved a lot in buying 2 rifles from england.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

Good tip M!ck,
    A multichoke trap gun is fine for skeet if you use skeet and 1/4" choke and no 8 or 9's.
    One gun can do all.

• dev110 wrote: »
    Are you able to travel?

What I have been taught about gun fit was you should be able to mount to your shoulder and then you should be able to look straight down the rib with no movements of the head or neck. Also you should be able to scratch the tip of your nose with your thumb when the gun is mounted.
    It is hard to explain without showing you what I mean.

I'm not sure on the price as I'm not sure on prices of moroku

I'm not willing to import to be honest. I am going to buy Irish.
    Travel to where btw?

• I rang [snipped], sound lad straight up but told me all his second hand are on a waiting list so he said had nothing suitable.

Also rang [snipped] and he said he had a Browning 425 sporter M/C 2nd hand for 800 Squids?

Any experiance with this gun?

• No other opinions? I was also looking at a Winchester Select Sporting 32"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

don't buy a 32" barrelled gun for skeet ;) if your going to shoot much of either sell your baikal and buy a skeet gun and a trap gun they are complete opposites
    yes you can shoot both with the same gun but it'll be a compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

No other opinions? I was also looking at a Winchester Select Sporting 32"

The browning seems a good option at that price, they are a superior quality gun to the Winchester select. Additionally, not too sure if the Winchester being a 32 in her would suit you, not everyone can get to grips with a 32.
    That 425 seems worth a look at that price.

• Opted to keep my own gun, for tipping around in the fields. Ended up buying the Browning 425 Grade 1 Trap M/C for proper clay shooting, gun fits really well, he was really helpful (Edmund O' Hara). It looks brand new. 850 Euros. Hopefully It shall not take too long for application to come through. Good Deal? BTW thanks for all the help.

Advertisement