Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much roughly would I need to spend...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Moar megahurtz!

I went from 6000 ish in 3DMark 11 to 7.800 going from 772 to 975 on my 580. Definitely worth it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Serephucus wrote: »
    Moar megahurtz!

I went from 6000 ish in 3DMark 11 to 7.800 going from 772 to 975 on my 580. Definitely worth it. :)

did you changed stock cooler? or added extra fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I have mine under water. You can get to 900 in most cases with the stock cooler though. (But you'll need to increase the fan speed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

I have my 2x 6970`s @ 925.... But have aftermarket coolers....
    They get to around 65-70c while on BF3 maxed out... depending on how much coal I have put in the fire they can get to 75c..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dwighet wrote: »
    I have my 2x 6970`s @ 925.... But have aftermarket coolers....
    They get to around 65-70c while on BF3 maxed out... depending on how much coal I have put in the fire they can get to 75c..

What cooler are you using with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

I think good few people still live in pentuim 1 and 2 times.

I got my pc 5 years and in costed me 1.2k so far. I still able to play any game out there on maxish settings. I could see atleast 1-2 years of life for this old girl.

Those 2500k are such a briliant bargains. They give so much performance for such low price. I would not be surprised to see them still be alive and kicking in next 3 years atleast!

Op, if you will be chasing new technology all the time, you will end up with no system at all.

Echoing this sentiment. Using a stock Phenom X4 965 BE and GTX 460 - the only game that really gives it pause is BF3 on Ultra - but the differences between Ultra and Medium are (to my eye at least) so minimal its not worth the headache. Honestly don't think I've spent more than €800 on my setup and its still powering along just fine.

To the OP: just buy whats good now and it'll still be good in a few years. Sure, there'll be better stuff out - but that doesn't mean what you have is still decent.

kfish2oo2 wrote: »
    Echoing this sentiment. Using a stock Phenom X4 965 BE and GTX 460 - the only game that really gives it pause is BF3 on Ultra - but the differences between Ultra and Medium are (to my eye at least) so minimal its not worth the headache. Honestly don't think I've spent more than €800 on my setup and its still powering along just fine.

To the OP: just buy whats good now and it'll still be good in a few years. Sure, there'll be better stuff out - but that doesn't mean what you have is still decent.

Depends on the resolution you play at unfortunately. When you start pushing a lot of pixels technology ages a lot quicker and bottlenecks show up faster. On a 21" or smaller monitor, yeah you can get away with much older technology compared to if you're running a 27" or 30" monitor.

nesf wrote: »
    What cooler are you using with them?

https://www2.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp

There not great but they do the job and wont break the bank...

Ive noticed a drop of about 15-20c but they are a hell of a lot quieter than stock coolers....

My idle is 32c and bf3 maxxed and both cards maxxed @ 930, 65-72c

There a pain in the hole to install though..

kfish2oo2 wrote: »

Aye but on medium and high settings there is a lot of detail that one is missing out on....(bf3)

I understand what your saying but myself likes to get the full visual experience out of a game...

Thats why Im skint:eek:

NESF..
    what cards did you end up getting? 6950`s or 70`s?

• Advertisement

NESF..
    what cards did you end up getting? 6950`s or 70`s?

70s. Getting 50-60fps on bf3 on Ultra atm at 2560 x 1440. Which I'm happy enough with. Will overclock the cards a bit and see if I can improve things.

70s. Getting 50-60fps on bf3 on Ultra atm at 2560 x 1440. Which I'm happy enough with. Will overclock the cards a bit and see if I can improve things.

nice...what monitor/monitors are you running?
    You should be able to push out 920/1420 easy on the 70`s...thats what I run em at

nice...what monitor/monitors are you running?
    You should be able to push out 920/1420 easy on the 70`s...thats what I run em at

Using a 27" iMac as a monitor. Handy, work PC and gaming PC on same desk with minimal fuss. CMD + F2 and you can switch from target display mode to regular iMac mode.

Using a 27" iMac as a monitor. Handy, work PC and gaming PC on same desk with minimal fuss. CMD + F2 and you can switch from target display mode to regular iMac mode.

you lost me there..Mac and me are total strangers...

Im dwighet on bf3 if you want to shoot a few..:cool:

you lost me there..Mac and me are total strangers...

Im dwighet on bf3 if you want to shoot a few..:cool:

You don't want to play with me, my skill in FPS games is abysmal. :D

Apple Monitors are lovely, just iMacs have mobile graphics cards so they can't do them justice when gaming (they're not designed for this purpose anyway). Here's a review of a monitor by Apple based on the same technology (iirc): http://reviews.cnet.com/apple-led-cinema-display-review?tag=mncol;lst

You don't want to play with me, my skill in FPS games is abysmal. :D

Your not the lone soldier there:o

I get a kick out of getting my throught cut all the time..

Aye but on medium and high settings there is a lot of detail that one is missing out on....(bf3)

I understand what your saying but myself likes to get the full visual experience out of a game...

Thats why Im skint:eek:

I think you guys missing te point.

What he nd me ment that technology is not ageing so stupidly fast as it did before. Even with old system you can still enjoy games on satisfying level.
    Yes it's not the ultra setting, but it still great!

I think you guys missing te point.

What he nd me ment that technology is not ageing so stupidly fast as it did before. Even with old system you can still enjoy games on satisfying level.
    Yes it's not the ultra setting, but it still great!

Ah but it's not just about playing games at an acceptable level! Some people want to see an engine do its absolute best and see very pretty pictures and are willing to spend some extra money to do this. Same as having a taste for craft beers and not just drinking Heiniken or having a nice big flatscreen TV instead of a smaller one despite both being perfectly good at showing films etc. Or having surround sound with very good speakers rather than merely good ones. I'm not saying that everyone should do this but there's nothing wrong with desiring excellent performance in things.

For years and years I squeezed every little bit of performance I could out of tech because I couldn't afford to upgrade regularly. I've a bit more money now so I'm treating myself. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Ah but it's not just about playing games at an acceptable level! Some people want to see an engine do its absolute best and see very pretty pictures and are willing to spend some extra money to do this. Same as having a taste for craft beers and not just drinking Heiniken or having a nice big flatscreen TV instead of a smaller one despite both being perfectly good at showing films etc. Or having surround sound with very good speakers rather than merely good ones. I'm not saying that everyone should do this but there's nothing wrong with desiring excellent performance in things.

For years and years I squeezed every little bit of performance I could out of tech because I couldn't afford to upgrade regularly. I've a bit more money now so I'm treating myself. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Well said sir..

Nothing wrong with that m8. That's why I am buying new rig too. And as much as anyone I love to have best pc out there. All I am saying that even this 2500k won't age so fast and it will be competitive kit even after 2-3 years.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with that m8. That's why I am buying new rig too. And as much as anyone I love to have best pc out there. All I am saying that even this 2500k won't age so fast and it will be competitive kit even after 2-3 years.

your dead right there...Im still running a I5 760 and its working a treat...overclocks well..4.2ghz
    Yes I would like a 2500k but a better monitor and water cooling is on the list first before I beef up the cpu/mobo...

I doubt if i`ll need to upgrade the 760 for a good while for gaming but its hard trying not to keep up with the Jones`s..:o

Yeah my problem would have been with my old PC was built around a (by this time) ageing processor and a 21" display and optimised for that. The GFX etc was never bought with high resolutions in mind (4870, a very good card in its day but not designed for modern games at high resolutions). It just wasn't worth keeping the processor with how annoying getting a SLI board for it would be and it'd just be a big fat bottleneck in the system anyway. Even the i5 2500K is a bit of a bottleneck in this one at this resolution in some games (Skyrim for example).

Rar, 6970s overclocked to 950/1450 and perfectly stable under Heaven Benchmark. GPU 2 is running a little hotter than I'd like at 80 degrees but it doesn't seem to be affecting stability. I've read you can push the cards well over 90 without affecting stability but it can vary from card to card.

Rar, 6970s overclocked to 950/1450 and perfectly stable under Heaven Benchmark. GPU 2 is running a little hotter than I'd like at 80 degrees but it doesn't seem to be affecting stability. I've read you can push the cards well over 90 without affecting stability but it can vary from card to card.

Do you have the power control setting @ 20%?

Do you have the power control setting @ 20%?

I didn't touch power control settings, I just used MSI Afterburner to overclock the cards. So it's at 0%. I'll set it to 20% and retest the cards for stability and heat.

I didn't touch power control settings, I just used MSI Afterburner to overclock the cards. So it's at 0%. I'll set it to 20% and retest the cards for stability and heat.

So you have CCC at default and used afterburner for your OC...???

So you have CCC at default and used afterburner for your OC...???

No CCC is automatically adjusted by Afterburner, the thing is doesn't touch is the power setting.

Found instability anyway, you do not want to run these cards overclocked to this point with auto fan control on!

Bored: So overclocked CPU to 4.7 @ 1.335V with advice from Serephucus. 4.8 would need a bigger bump in vcore and 81 is about as hot as I want to see under IBT.

Temps: 72 under OOCT, 81 under IBT x 20 and under 60 in-game. Stable under Intel Burn Test and OOCT. Going to do an overnight OOCT run tonight but don't expect any instability after the IBT test.

Edit:

Can't sleep so more tests:

4.7 again under ICT: CPU fans at full speed. 76 Degrees.
    4.3 under ICT: Fans full speed again. 59 degrees.

Under real world test (i.e. video converting with Handbrake): 4.7, 59 degrees. 4.3, 47 degrees. Very acceptable temps here from a relatively cheap cooler.

4.3 will be my everyday overclock. 4.7 was done out of curiosity to see how far I can push this chip within a reasonable thermal envelope. All cooling done with a Corsair A70. (The Noctua D14 was out of stock when I needed to order a cooler, might pick one up in the future if I get bored and want to hit 4.8+) It's not a bad cooler for 35 quid.

• Advertisement

Have same cooler m8. It's great for the price.
    Did you put half speed resistors on your cooler?
    I oced it only to 4.2 and even so, I don't see much point in that as I play 99% on my pc and 1% random crap.

Jesus, I wish i could get bored at that time m8. Can't remember last time I wasnt in bed by 22:00 :))).

Advertisement