Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sport for a Weak Back

Options
  • 13-11-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend used to do a lot of sport, particularly tennis, gaelic and soccer. He injured his back about a year ago and any time he's tried to go back playing any of these it has aggravated the injury.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a sport/activity he could try? He's starting to feel a bit lazy and unfit and it's frustrating him. We've tried swimming but he just gets bored doing laps of the pool.

Would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cycling - I've had 4 back operations (the last one nearly 10 years ago) - I've still managed to average getting on for 200km a week on the bike for the past couple of years, and taken it up competitively in my late forties.

Clearly getting a comfortable position on the bike is critical with back problems, but the weight is spread across the saddle and handlebars, putting less strain on the back than you might think.

I would suggest getting clearance from his doctor/physio before taking it up

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Definately pilates. Go to a well recommended one that preferably has a background in physio. A qualified instructor will do a full assessment and tailor lessons to help recovery from injuries. At the same time as recovery, your OH will be benefiting from the strength building at the same time.

Pilates is very low impact on the body, but has fantastic results.

I started doing it when I had pregnancy back problems and it totally sorted me out. I have continued with the classes and it really has been the best way of strengthening and toning up.

Alot of sports players do it and dancers.Worth looking into.

Advertisement