Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for 3 mths+ on NZ WHV?

Options
  • 14-11-2011 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

This is a dumb question red alert:

I've been in NZ for a little over a month and I'm trying to find a job at the moment. I'm here on a 1 yr WHV and I've been operating on the basis that I can't work with one employer for longer than 3 months. I'm pretty sure that's what they told me in Trailfinders.

I've not been applying for jobs that require any commitment beyond three months. Having said that, I've looked online and looked at the T's & C's to see what the exact rules is and all I can find is that you can't study for longer than three months and I can't find any reference to a limit on how long you can work.

Was I given wrong info or does a limit actually exist for how long I can commit to a single job?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

No time limit in NZ only in OZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 joaneire

"When you’re here

• you must not take up permanent employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary work visa while you’re here)
    • you can enrol in one or more courses of training or study of up to three months’ duration in total during your visit."

You might be confusing this with the Australia WHV where you can only work with one employer for 6 months (used to be 3 months). Also, maybe you're concerned by principles, but the employer will choose to give you a job based on your visa, so I don't think there's any need to only apply for short-term contracts. Like home, a lot of companies have 3 month probation periods anyway so I wouldn't worry about it that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

I thought the nz WHV was 6 months for any one employer but i only did one 4 month contact during that time and after that applied for and got a three year work permit through my job.

I applied for IT work when i got here with the frame of mind that i was going to stay for a few years so I made that clear to potential employers and that seemed to open a lot more doors for me, they were all hesitant to commit to hiring someone that wasnt going to stick around but that was for me, i dont know what kind of work youre looking for or how long youre staying, why don't you just ring immigration nz and find out from the horses mouth :)

Advertisement