Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyleaf

Options
  • 14-11-2011 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Possibly my favorite band ever, except the Beatles. Any flyleaf fans around here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Faith_+1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I remember seeing them support Korn in the Ambassador a few years back, cant remember what they sounded like. Singer looked hot enough though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Ah yeah, Lacey is lovely.

Not sure how to post youtube videos, so here you are :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I saw them at Download 2006 and, for what was obviously a young, unknown and relatively inexperienced band they played an absolutely storming set. Their self-titled debut album is well worth a listen. Lacey Mosley manages to produce some very frail yet powerful vocals. Memento Mori was a lot more polished and didn't grab me as much as the previous album but it's still worth a listen.

• Advertisement

I think memento Mori has some stand out songs, but their first album is better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Testament1 wrote: »
    I remember seeing them support Korn in the Ambassador a few years back, cant remember what they sounded like. Singer looked hot enough though!

What a gig that was eh? I like a few of their songs, "I'm So Sick" etc. They're decent but not favourite band material in my opinion!

Guess its down to opinion, I just love them :D Wish they'd play here, or the UK some time soon,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    What a gig that was eh? I like a few of their songs, "I'm So Sick" etc. They're decent but not favourite band material in my opinion!

Ya it was a good show alright. I'd listen to a good few of their songs but wouldnt go out of my way to check out more stuff from them. On a side note there were some pretty hot women in the crowd at that gig :cool:

• Advertisement

Guess I'm the only one here that loves them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I listened to them in passing kind of, I listened to a lot of their first album around the time of it's release, around '06/07 but I did what everyone does and just moved along and forgot about them. I have no qualms about them being a Christian rock band, while clearly there were Christian themes in the music, I didn't find that they were trying to push their religion in any overt way, it didn't feel like they were trying to sell it to you, so I didn't care. I do have a problem with the song Cassie though where they're propogating the lie about Cassie Bernall, victim of the Columbine Massacre, who became an inspiration and a martyr to the Christian communities of America. To this day they still refuse to believe the evidence that's presented to them that suggests otherwise. Other than that, savage first album, haven't checked out the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I saw them at KoRn in Ambassador, the only support act that ever made me actually want to listen to them and not go to the bar. Lacey was captivating, really passionate about her music. I love their stuff.

Numina wrote: »
    I do have a problem with the song Cassie though where they're propogating the lie about Cassie Bernall, victim of the Columbine Massacre, who became an inspiration and a martyr to the Christian communities of America.
    Interesting, I didn't know anything about her story. I had just assumed they were using artistic licence rather than basing the song around a real person.

Was the thing about cassie a lie?

Most likely. From the link I posted:
    Cassie René Bernall (November 6, 1981 – April 20, 1999) was a student killed in the Columbine High School massacre, at age 17.

Initial reports suggested that one of the assailants, either Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold, asked Bernall if she believed in God moments before fatally shooting her. She was reported to have answered "Yes, I believe". This story led to Bernall being presented as a martyr by some Christians, and served as the inspiration for several songs, including Michael W. Smith's "This Is Your Time" and Flyleaf's "Cassie."

In the months following Bernall's death, her mother, Misty Bernall, issued the book She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernall. In this book Misty Bernall discusses her daughter's turbulent teenage life, spiritual conversion and martyrdom.

Most examinations of witness testimony state that Cassie was not asked anything before she was shot. According to witness Emily Wyant, who was hiding under a wood table with Cassie, Eric Harris said "peek-a-boo" before shooting Cassie, while Cassie continued to pray silently. However, in her book "Day of Reckoning: Columbine and the Search for America's Soul," reporter Wenday Murray Zoba noted that Cassie's companion misidentified Cassie's shooter, which compromises her account. It has been documented that a similar exchange took place between Klebold and Valeen Schnurr, a student who was wounded in the library that day. Some have speculated that this exchange was mistakenly attributed to Bernall.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Possibly my favorite band ever, except the Beatles. Any flyleaf fans around here?

I like flyleaf too.

But, hilarious that for you, they're up there with The Beatles. :O

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I can listen to them, but they wouldn't be near a favourite band. Good, just not my usual style.

I just really like them :P Not a single song of theirs I don't like.

Topic resurrection here - Flyleaf have released their last album with Lacey, new horizons, and its awesome :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement