Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Taxi drivers experiencing racism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

tmc86 wrote: »

I was out on harcourt street, Dublin last week (midweek) and there was a rank of taxis the whole way down waiting for fares. Two or three taxis hovered alongside the rank and one fella with his window down was leaning across the passegnger seat shouting "taxi" at me trying to get me to get in. Well I promptly told him to F right off and queue like the rest of them. Walked down to the very first taxi and a sound Polish fella was happy to drop me home after waiting his turn.

don't think I've ever met a Polish taxi driver in Waterford, or any eastern european driver that I'm aware of. Have never had any problem working with Lithuanian/Croation/Czech/Polish folk, have had a few good sessions with them though. Think the problem here is limited to Nigerian or African drivers and I don't know if it comes down to attitude or communication difficulties or just complete contempt for Irish society, but it mostly feels like the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Kanoe wrote: »
    kano ..now you know..and I only tell people who ask. ;)
    Jaysus I thought it was pronounced canoe haha. Was wondering why anyone would choose a canoe as their username and try cool it up by changing the c to a k.

Don't get taxis often. Doesn't bother me if the driver is white black or purple. Saying that, if I did see a purple driver I would definitely pick him just to question him about how he got purple skin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Pains me to write it and I hate having to, this is a rant but when it comes down to it after the most recent excursions I will go out of my way to avoid a non national taxi driver. I would rather walk home pi$$ed and in the rain and brave the chance of getting raped or assualted than get in another taxi with one of them. The crap they deal ranges from never having the right change (last guy asked if I had anything smaller when I gave him 6 euro the fare was 4.90) and getting shouted at when I say which way to go (because they obviously know better) to not moving off the rank when the light goes green, the look of disgust they give you if you are female and you've been *gasp, drinking.. to talking loudly in native language on the fone for the entire journey.

Friday was the last straw, 3 of us heading to our respective places, mine being a 2 minute journey to the townside of the park, literally around the corner and the others being to kilcohan and then to the far side of that. The driver decided he was going to the furthest destination first. I asked him where he was going and he bellowed at me that he was going to such and such. I explained I was only around the corner and could he change lanes and he practically spat at me for suggesting it, I mean he was really angry and shouted through clenched teeth. There was no shít from any of us when we got in, none of us were leery or drunk, we asked him specifically to just drop me off first but he chose to ignore it. So the guy in the back got angry and yelled at him and then he shut the fup up and did as he was asked but it was only when a bloke entered the arena did he pay any attention. These guys are fúcking sexist pricks, will not listen to or heed a request from a female in this country. They shout at us, tut and moan like its our fault when they don't have the right change and they try take advantage at every opportunity and I'm sick of giving my money over to them for a service they don't even pretend to provide properly. If an Irish driver did any of this they wouldn't be driving a taxi for long and would probably have been reported earlier.

(I generally use hackneys and only ever use the rank if I'm in town at the weekends but I swear I will never again get into another taxi with a non national at the wheel. If they want to keep treating us like dirt then they deserve every bit of shít they get. )

Yes you are having a go by singling out all NN drivers as rude, ignorant, sexist etc. In my many years of using taxis all over the country, I can count numerous times I have been ripped off and verbally abused by native Irish drivers. I have only had ONE "bad" experience from a NN driver and that was from a Nigerian guy who got lost but when he realised his mistake, he stopped the clock, apologising profusely for his error. Another ocassion, a friend of mine was injured in an accident on a night on the tiles. We waived down a taxi for her and a NN driver pulled up and when we arrived at St James Hospital, the Cameroonian driver refused to take a fare from us. After we dropped the girl into A&E where she stayed with a friend, he drove us back into town and did not charge us for that either. I took the driver's number and managed to track him down. We gave him a gift and thanked him for his deed.

Those are my two positive incidents that I have got from NN drivers. IMHO they tend to be more friendlier and chatty than alot of the native Irish drivers. Granted, there are bad apples in every society, but to brand them all as rude, sexist, etc. on the basis of a bad experience with one smacks of racism. Maybe the guy in question had a stressful day.

don't think I've ever met a Polish taxi driver in Waterford, or any eastern european driver that I'm aware of. Have never had any problem working with Lithuanian/Croation/Czech/Polish folk, have had a few good sessions with them though. Think the problem here is limited to Nigerian or African drivers and I don't know if it comes down to attitude or communication difficulties or just complete contempt for Irish society, but it mostly feels like the latter.

I have a met a few, from Slovakia, Poland and Kosovo to name but a few and unlike yourself, I have no hang ups about getting into a car just because the driver is Black.

and yes, you are a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

wow i never realised out racist some of you people really are

listen if you get a taxi then request a recipt when you are paying. this is something that should be done no matter if you think your getting a cheap deal or being ripped off. it doesnt matter recipts are suppose to be handed over everytime.

if you have a complaint about a driver being rude/over charging/cursing at you etc. there are ways of reporting this. a recipt will help you in your complaint as its proof of the taxi and the cost incurred.

if you are rude to a taxi driver then you cant expect them to be nice back. it costs nothing to be nice. but it costs integrity to be a tool.

putting taxi drivers into categories such as Black/polish/nigerian/irish/woman/bald/wears glasses/old/young and so on is wrong. you are an idiot if you say you wont get a nigerian taxi and think your not being racist. of course you are being racist.

EVERY taxi driver is an individual. not all "blacks" are evil. talking the way you people are is acting like scum.

for the record an irish taxi driver will rip you off just as much. as far as im concerend all taxi drivers are chancers:P dont put them into categories. lets not segragate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Not racist at all and never had any trouble with any taxi driver of any race.However recently one of my mothers elderly friends got a taxi from a non national, she happened to mention on her way into town that it was the first time in ages the house was empty and she had a chance to go off by herself.On getting into town she remembers she forgot something so got a different taxi back out home, only to find the the non national taxi driver breaking in to her house. Needless to say the fella was caught,but he's still driving a taxi around the town.Stricter regulations need to be brought in with screening of every one regardless of race.

Meatwad wrote: »
    Not racist at all and never had any trouble with any taxi driver of any race.However recently one of my mothers elderly friends got a taxi from a non national, she happened to mention on her way into town that it was the first time in ages the house was empty and she had a chance to go off by herself.On getting into town she remembers she forgot something so got a different taxi back out home, only to find the the non national taxi driver breaking in to her house. Needless to say the fella was caught,but he's still driving a taxi around the town.Stricter regulations need to be brought in with screening of every one regardless of race.

My friend's elderly father was ripped off by an Irish taxi driver a few years ago when he wanted to get from town to Ballymacaw. The driver charged him €30, the old dude handed over the cash, took his number and the driver was reprimanded.

No matter who is driving, always keep on the lookout and be vigilant.

Meatwad wrote: »
    Do you know this person that it happened to and can confirm it's authenticity or is it one of them "swans can break your arm" stories but nobody knows anyone who actually got a broken arm from a swan. Your story does sound like one of them rumours is all. If its true then Utah bad. Yer one was thick to tell a stranger her house was empty anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Yeah totally true, not one of the old buggy left on the side of the road stories. The woman is in her 70's, and like alot her age she's fairly innocent or a bit naive.She was told by the taxi driver that was bringing her home that it wasn't the first time that something like that had happened. Not sayng that its a non national thing cause I think there's a fair few dodgy irish drivers around as well, just thought I'd bring it up cause there's so much ****e happening around the town people only end up hearing bout a quarter of the stuff that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Icky Thump wrote: »
    for the record an irish taxi driver will rip you off ....

racist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Yahew wrote: »
    racist.
    for the record an irish taxi driver will rip you off just as much.

Not racist.

What a difference context makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

seanybiker wrote: »
    Do you know this person that it happened to and can confirm it's authenticity or is it one of them "swans can break your arm" stories but nobody knows anyone who actually got a broken arm from a swan.

If it's not Nigerians its swans your givin' out about ya racist basterd.

dayshah wrote: »
    If it's not Nigerians its swans your givin' out about ya racist basterd.

I love swans. stick 3 of them together and forget your worries. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Will never know how insulting or hurtful the N word would/could be... but if some toerag Spat in my face I'll be doing time .Not trying to be a keyboard warrior or anything but spitting in my face would make me see red big time...

As for other posters choice of drivers... it's their choice and their money

That's strange, it's usually the Nigerian who does the spitting, they're known for it, and as a poster above has mentioned, a lot of the African (maybe just Nigerian?) drivers have a truly dreadful attitude towards females. I've actually rescued girls from taxi's being driven by NN's on three separate occasions.
    And lets not even get started on the quality of their driving, I watched one African guy take 15 (yes 15) minutes to reverse 50 mtrs up Balfe st in Dublin, he hadn't a fukking clue what he was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I love swans. stick 3 of them together and forget your worries. :)

So, any thoughts on this :D

29 seconds in is as far as I got :P:P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Kepti wrote: »
    Not racist.

What a difference context makes.

Context schmontext. I'll put my ellipsis where I want, like the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

I'm glad I'm not racist....I fookin hate everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Andrew33 wrote: »
    That's strange, it's usually the Nigerian who does the spitting, they're known for it, and as a poster above has mentioned, a lot of the African (maybe just Nigerian?) drivers have a truly dreadful attitude towards females. I've actually rescued girls from taxi's being driven by NN's on three separate occasions.
    And lets not even get started on the quality of their driving, I watched one African guy take 15 (yes 15) minutes to reverse 50 mtrs up Balfe st in Dublin, he hadn't a fukking clue what he was doing.

Don't forget the nigerian drivers that need a satnav to drive a straight road, many of them don't have a clue where they're going but if you try to tell them a quicker way to go than the sacred satnav then they get in a right huff.

Also I've experienced a number incidences of overcharging with nigerian drivers, a common one is to try charging €8 for a €6 route. Since I changed to local hackneys I've never had anyone try to over charge me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

Don't forget the nigerian drivers that need a satnav to drive a straight road, many of them don't have a clue where they're going but if you try to tell them a quicker way to go than the sacred satnav then they get in a right huff.

Also I've experienced a number incidences of overcharging with nigerian drivers, a common one is to try charging €8 for a €6 route. Since I changed to local hackneys I've never had anyone try to over charge me.

Lets get a reality check here, before deregulation of the Irish taxi industry there were 39 taxis operation in Waterford and about 60 hackneys. The Garda were the enforcement officials at that time. There were more complaints of overcharging then, even with such small numbers than now today with Waterford taxi numbers at 350 and Hackneys at almost 100, I Remember having to pay pay a Taxi driver 70 punts just to get to stradbally now 11 years later it just costs 55euro. There was a crisis then hence deregulation, nobody from the country could get home until the lucrative city runs were finished. My Brother had to pay an Irish driver at Christmas 100 punts to get to Stradbally. Memories are short in Ireland. People here claim to have paid almost 20 euro to get from the city center to a point just 3 miles further. Whats wrong with you , your either an Idiot or you never heard of the Garda, who deal with over charging.

• Advertisement

chelloveks wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not racist....I fookin hate everybody!

I thought you where calling into me when ya was over

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I hear your a racist now father

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

I thought you where calling into me when ya was over

I didn't get up to Hillview....was afraid the tinker horses would come in from the fields and trample me.

Serious, I had such a short visit I was visiting relatives the whole time and didn't get up dat way....next time my friend....good reason to come over mr litvinov!

Do you ever travel to this side of the puddle?

chelloveks wrote: »
    I didn't get up to Hillview....was afraid the tinker horses would come in from the fields and trample me.

Serious, I had such a short visit I was visiting relatives the whole time and didn't get up dat way....next time my friend....good reason to come over mr litvinov!

Do you ever travel to this side of the puddle?

No worries bud I thought ya be busy alright.
    Read up on me pal I don't go passed the puddles outside me house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Yahew wrote: »
    I'll put my ... where I want.

You sick puppy.

Kepti wrote: »
    You sick puppy.

Lol horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

To add to it I will only get what appears to be a white irish :rolleyes:

Several times before I have gotten a foreign national who goes every back road possible, plus I rather support "our own" as some call it so I now only look for an Irish taxi driver cos you can have the bant with them. I would always have said that I'm in no way racist but if we are honest, I think alot of us, though we dont like to admit it, are a little racist, maybe not in the sense of calling him a black bast-*rd or nigg€r but by refusing to get a taxi driver.

They're not all bad though ;)

Partizan wrote: »
    I have a met a few, from Slovakia, Poland and Kosovo to name but a few and unlike yourself, I have no hang ups about getting into a car just because the driver is Black.

and yes, you are a racist.

don't really give a fup what you think I am but when it comes to getting into a taxi driven by a Nigerian yes, I will choose not to based on the colour of his skin, because experience has taught me better. It would be like asking me to choose to buy sour milk from a rip off shop when I know I can buy fresh stuff for half the price elsewhere.
    This is about providing a service and they are responsible for their own reputation.

(my friends daughter is Jamaican Irish, I've known her since she was a baby and watched her grow up into an adult. this isn't about being prejudiced because I don't like what's not white Irish, my discrimination is born out of receiving shítty treatment from a segment of service providers that happen to be Black.)

don't really give a fup what you think I am but when it comes to getting into a taxi driven by a Nigerian yes, I will choose not to based on the colour of his skin, because experience has taught me better. It would be like asking me to choose to buy sour milk from a rip off shop when I know I can buy fresh stuff for half the price elsewhere.
    This is about providing a service and they are responsible for their own reputation.

(my friends daughter is Jamaican Irish, I've known her since she was a baby and watched her grow up into an adult. this isn't about being prejudiced because I don't like what's not white Irish, my discrimination is born out of receiving shítty treatment from a segment of service providers that happen to be Black.)

You're a racist.

• Advertisement

cool, just ignore the facts like.

Advertisement