Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Taxi drivers experiencing racism

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Just to reinforce my suspicions abut their driving skills, an NN driver managed to crash into the back of my car last night while I was parked on a rank!!! A couple of scratches is all the damage he did.
    I didn't make a big deal about it or start ranting and raving at him (maybe I should have) but this guy should not have been behind the wheel of a public service vehicle. I'd be 99% sure it was a "rented" taxi too.
    I see them every weekend, bunny hopping the taxi away from traffic lights, running over paths when taking corners, completely ignoring cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians rights. It's fukkin scary to watch.
    A lot of them are barely able to drive yet they have PSV licences! how?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Kanoe wrote: »
    Pains me to write it and I hate having to, this is a rant but when it comes down to it after the most recent excursions I will go out of my way to avoid a non national taxi driver. I would rather walk home pi$$ed and in the rain and brave the chance of getting raped or assualted than get in another taxi with one of them. ....

Friday was the last straw, 3 of us heading to our respective places, mine being a 2 minute journey to the townside of the park, literally around the corner and the others being to kilcohan and then to the far side of that. The driver decided he was going to the furthest destination first. I asked him where he was going and he bellowed at me that he was going to such and such. ..........

So the guy in the back got angry and yelled at him and then he shut the fup up and did as he was asked but it was only when a bloke entered the arena did he pay any attention. These guys are fúcking sexist pricks, will not listen to or heed a request from a female in this country. They shout at us, tut and moan like its our fault when they don't have the right change and they try take advantage at every opportunity and I'm sick of giving my money over to them for a service they don't even pretend to provide properly. If an Irish driver did any of this they wouldn't be driving a taxi for long and would probably have been reported earlier.

There seems to be a problem in Waterford with taxi drivers and xenophobia. It extends to"indigenous" members of the taxi profession who resent the influx of new drivers mucking around with what was once a cosy monopoly.

I remember a couple of years ago during a taxi "strike" seeing an altercation on the news between striking (white, presumably Irish) taxi drivers in Waterford and a black driver who was working and picking up a fare. The TV reporter asked the African guy why he wasn't on strike. He replied that he had tried to join the union but had been told that membership was only open to local Waterford men. "There's the union guy who wouldn't let me in" he gestured to one of the guys on the picket line. "Go and ask him yourself."

So the reporter did. The union guy was a caricature from the set of the Riordans in the 1960s: All farmer's hat, and Benjy sideburns and anorak. He didn't deny the straightforward question put to him and made it clear that the "outsider" would not have been able to join the union. (I'm sure there's a thread about it here somewhere)

If that's the background, then it's not surprising that some black taxi drivers have a chippy attitude.

Which is not to say that the actions you described are justifiable or excusable. They are not and although it's all very well sounding off on a Forum I would urge you, especially if you had witnesses, to make a complaint to the carriage office. If half of what you describe is an accurate account of what happened, that guy will be in serious trouble.

I know it's not very "Irish" to complain through proper channels but in the long run, it's the best way of effecting change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

There seems to be a problem in Waterford with taxi drivers and xenophobia. It extends to"indigenous" members of the taxi profession who resent the influx of new drivers mucking around with what was once a cosy monopoly.

If that's the background, then it's not surprising that some black taxi drivers have a chippy attitude.

Which is not to say that the actions you described are justifiable or excusable. They are not and although it's all very well sounding off on a Forum I would urge you, especially if you had witnesses, to make a complaint to the carriage office. If half of what you describe is an accurate account of what happened, that guy will be in serious trouble.

I know it's not very "Irish" to complain through proper channels but in the long run, it's the best way of effecting change.
    Fair enough, I can understand that and I am aware that things may be difficult for them and in the past I always did take it into consideration. I recognise there may be elements of culture shock and was aware of doing your best to be respectful in the hope they might find Ireland is not such a bad place to be but it's been years now and that respect has always been thrown back in my face so many times there really is none left to give. and y'know maybe they need to understand this too.

There is a Waterford based taxi firm (if it hasn't already disbanded) that I would choose not to call too based on the state of the cars and the rip off merchants who used to drive them, but most of the drivers who didn't want to be associated with them left and drive for themselves or have moved to another office.
    As for reporting these events, I am genuinely considering recording every journey with them on camera, only I'd have to actually use them again and I don't particularly ever want to have to if I can help it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

As Eamon Dunphy once said 'It's not racism Bill, it's ethnic criticism'.
    Which, lets call a spade a spade, seems to be whats going on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

I remember a couple of years ago during a taxi "strike" seeing an altercation on the news between striking (white, presumably Irish) taxi drivers in Waterford and a black driver who was working and picking up a fare. The TV reporter asked the African guy why he wasn't on strike. He replied that he had tried to join the union but had been told that membership was only open to local Waterford men. "There's the union guy who wouldn't let me in" he gestured to one of the guys on the picket line. "Go and ask him yourself."

So the reporter did. The union guy was a caricature from the set of the Riordans in the 1960s: All farmer's hat, and Benjy sideburns and anorak. He didn't deny the straightforward question put to him and made it clear that the "outsider" would not have been able to join the union. (I'm sure there's a thread about it here somewhere)

No exactly aware of what topic your on, Remember it was a member of the general public that spat in the Nigerian drivers face, Also the incident your talking about on TV was not in Waterford it was in Galway where a report on racism was later carried out. Were all aware some Taxi drivers just like some members of the public are racists, Far be it for me to defend taxi drivers, but this is not what a taxi drivers did to this Nigerian driver, it a young guy passing the rank. How do you reach the conclusion striking workers are some how the blame for a young lad spitting in a guys face???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

longshanks wrote: »
    lets call a spade a spade

Rascist! :p

samsham wrote: »
    Whats wrong with you , your either an Idiot or you never heard of the Garda, who deal with over charging.

Why should anyone have to "deal" with overcharging when they can hire a taxi driver that they KNOW will not overcharge them.

Why should anyone have to "deal" with overcharging when they can hire a taxi driver that they KNOW will not overcharge them.

Why not give the full quote "People here claim to have paid almost 20 euro to get from the city center to a point just 3 miles further. Whats wrong with you , your either an Idiot or you never heard of the Garda, who deal with over charging."

I stand by this I would not pay 20 euro for a 7 euro fare. I doubt anyone would, That's what the Garda are there for. If all these cases of overcharging are going on, why can I not find a single case in the Waterford courts??

samsham wrote: »
    Why not give the full quote "People here claim to have paid almost 20 euro to get from the city center to a point just 3 miles further. Whats wrong with you , your either an Idiot or you never heard of the Garda, who deal with over charging."

I stand by this I would not pay 20 euro for a 7 euro fare. I doubt anyone would, That's what the Garda are there for. If all these cases of overcharging are going on, why can I not find a single case in the Waterford courts??

You think the guards are going to spend time and resources on going to court over a $10 or so overcharge? They would laugh in your face if you went to them with that or else just note it down while your there and then throw the note in the bin when your gone.

I didn't give the full quote because it wasn't relevant imo. My point still stands, Why should anyone have to "deal" with overcharging when they can hire a taxi driver that they KNOW will not overcharge them.

You think the guards are going to spend time and resources on going to court over a $10 or so overcharge? They would laugh in your face if you went to them with that or else just note it down while your there and then throw the note in the bin when your gone.

I didn't give the full quote because it wasn't relevant imo. My point still stands, Why should anyone have to "deal" with overcharging when they can hire a taxi driver that they KNOW will not overcharge them.

That's my point exactly. There can only be overcharging if people take the attitude, nothing can be don't about it. Plenty can be done about it a receipt holds the time and distance traveled. There is a Taxi commission there and a dedicated Garda PSV officer who is only too happy to take your case. My real point here is that the over charging for the most is an urban myth like the other one, social welfare bought their plates. Overcharging exists among all nationalities I am sure, but used by racists to excuse their disgusting behavior. Not everyone knows a Taxi driver, if you travel to Dublin and get out at the train station, what criteria to you apply when choosing a taxi, That's what were talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

I think its funny that everyone assumes that a "Black" taxi driver has to be Nigerian - Ah sure he must be Nigerian if he's black............
    Reminds me of years ago with the amount of non nationals coming in from Europe - Sure they definitely have to be Polish.............

On a serious note though as regards taxi service in Waterford one good thing I can say is I find Waterford Hackney to be excellent as regards service, never let down by them. (not associated with them in any way Sully so get it out of your head :) )
    On a bad note what i find pure ignorant is the way the taxi drivers take over John Street from the Kazbar back to the traffic lights on a busy night in town ,waiting to get a space in the rank and wont move until they get it - Ignorant pricks!!!

Elbows22 wrote: »
    I think its funny that everyone assumes that a "Black" taxi driver has to be Nigerian - Ah sure he must be Nigerian if he's black............
    Reminds me of years ago with the amount of non nationals coming in from Europe - Sure they definitely have to be Polish.............

On a serious note though as regards taxi service in Waterford one good thing I can say is I find Waterford Hackney to be excellent as regards service, never let down by them. (not associated with them in any way Sully so get it out of your head :) )
    On a bad note what i find pure ignorant is the way the taxi drivers take over John Street from the Kazbar back to the traffic lights on a busy night in town ,waiting to get a space in the rank and wont move until they get it - Ignorant pricks!!!

Dont know why its called a Hackney office, most of the cars are taxis. Anytime I have called, a Taxi comes. I got one from the holy cross bar to kilmeaden, charged me 20 euro, One of the lads asked why so much for what must be just 5 kilm ,said he had to come from town. The rest of our party came with Rapid, they were only charged 12. they were charged on the meter from the holy, not from the town

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

I found Waterford's black taxi drivers to be total chancers.
    Couple of incidents that come to mind...

Getting charged €8 to be brought from the bottom of the hill between waterford crystal and WIT to the top. literally a 30 second journey, while a taxi from town to the top of the hill costs somewhere between 7 and 8.

Being brought all the way up around the back of lismore park and god knows where the being charged about €15 for the trip from town, when i specifically told him how to get to my house (1st street as you go in from the wit side)

Being charged €17 for dropping someone off on the 1st street then going up to the back of the estate.

Group of 3 girls and one guy got a taxi back one night and didn't have enough change so the guy gave the taxi driver his phone and wallet (same €7/8 journey as all the above) while he went inside for money, but the taxi driver still locked the girls in as we tried to get out.

The night that we dropped someone off and went up to the top of the estate he asked who booked the taxi, we told him the girl that got dropped off on her own (also i had to get out of the taxi to open the door for her becuase there was nobody home and she forgot her keys, he heard us talking about this) the following day she told me he called her several times to "make sure she was ok"

I've also seen the racism side of it, but at the same time, nothing like any of the above has happened to me in Cork and I haven't seen much racism there.

Oh and one more I can think of, One of the lads I lived with walked to templars with a friend then walked up to lismore park on his own a while later, walking up the hill the gards were there with a black taxi driver and the taxi driver started accusing my friend of running away without paying (even though he was walking towards them?) and tried to get him arrested. Even the gards were having none of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I know a girl who nearly got raped by a white, Irish taxi driver. She always looks for "foreign" drivers now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

stacexD wrote: »

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying there all good but they shouldn't be judged on the colour of their skin - You would think in this day and age we'd be past all this racism.

In saying that I did have one incident with one of them where 1 lad in the taxi with us on the way home from town asked the driver repeatedly to stop because he felt sick - Driver locked the doors and sped up. Was probably his last fare of the night - so was hoping for him to get sick so he'd get the money which i think was about 100euro for getting sick and then probably clean the car himself. This other lad refused to pay because he was after asking the driver 3 or 4 times, Taxi driver started harassing him so he took his phone out to call guards, taxi driver grabbed the phone,into the car and sped off. I managed to find him in town when i drove in(non drinker and left car at home so i wouldnt be driving everyone everywhere :) ) He called guards over , they made him give phone back and clean taxi himself with no extra money paid.He apparently did the same thing 3 nights earlier.

But there all the same - Irish drivers would rob you blind if they thought they could get away with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

I hate to stereotype but to be honest an insane amount of African Taxi drivers are dodgey.
    I've never had problems with an Irish taxi driver before, whereas there's been a good few occasions i can remember off the top of my head where an African driver has taken a stupid round about route to pump up the fare.
    A lot have also been fine but it definitely seems like there's a trend here between my personal experience and what I've heard from friends.
    I feel Sorry for the decent African drivers (the majority) though whose job has been made more difficult by these pricks.
    I would still get into the first taxi on the rank regardless of nationality though, it's not really a huge issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

In saying that I did have one incident with one of them where 1 lad in the taxi with us on the way home from town asked the driver repeatedly to stop because he felt sick - Driver locked the doors and sped up. Was probably his last fare of the night - so was hoping for him to get sick so he'd get the money which i think was about 100euro for getting sick and then probably clean the car himself. This other lad refused to pay because he was after asking the driver 3 or 4 times, Taxi driver started harassing him so he took his phone out to call guards, taxi driver grabbed the phone,into the car and sped off. I managed to find him in town when i drove in(non drinker and left car at home so i wouldnt be driving everyone everywhere :) ) He called guards over , they made him give phone back and clean taxi himself with no extra money paid.He apparently did the same thing 3 nights earlier.

was this driver irish?

daaave wrote: »
    was this driver irish?

No - African, Just showing that im not completely defending them because there is a few bad ones there but it has nothing to do with the colour of their skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭blue note

daaave wrote: »
    was this driver irish?

No - African

African American. Please, can't stand these racist terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Couple of incidents that come to mind...

Getting charged €8 to be brought from the bottom of the hill between waterford crystal and WIT to the top. literally a 30 second journey, while a taxi from town to the top of the hill costs somewhere between 7 and 8.

Being brought all the way up around the back of lismore park and god knows where the being charged about €15 for the trip from town, when i specifically told him how to get to my house (1st street as you go in from the wit side)

Being charged €17 for dropping someone off on the 1st street then going up to the back of the estate.

Group of 3 girls and one guy got a taxi back one night and didn't have enough change so the guy gave the taxi driver his phone and wallet (same €7/8 journey as all the above) while he went inside for money, but the taxi driver still locked the girls in as we tried to get out.

The night that we dropped someone off and went up to the top of the estate he asked who booked the taxi, we told him the girl that got dropped off on her own (also i had to get out of the taxi to open the door for her becuase there was nobody home and she forgot her keys, he heard us talking about this) the following day she told me he called her several times to "make sure she was ok"

I've also seen the racism side of it, but at the same time, nothing like any of the above has happened to me in Cork and I haven't seen much racism there.

I actually could have written this same post myself, taxi driver tried charging me €15 was picked up near the Cleaboy and got dropped off at ballybricken one Friday eve no traffic or anything around. I think I gave him €8 no way was he getting €15.

On another occasion I got into a taxi at the rank on Johns Street, was heading up to the Cleaboy area again, Taxi driver refused to take a right turn and head out the manor. He proceeded to drive out passed Ballytruckle and wanted to head straight through to Johns Park to the dual carriage way. I had to order him to turn right at that roundabout by the Sacred Heart Church again wanted about €15... he knew exactly what he was doing though.

A close friend also had the same stunt pulled being locked in the car, the guards came along and they told my friend they are fed up of these incidents occuring. I have lived in both Cork and Dublin also, and used taxis regularly and never had this happen. Just seems to be a few bad eggs working as taxi drivers giving everybody else a bad name. I usually ring rapid now and arrange a pick up instead of flagging taxis.

blue note wrote: »
    African American. Please, can't stand these racist terms.

I think someone needs to get their head out of their backside and check out information before posting remarks like that.
    If your born in Ireland your Irish, If your born in Africa your African -now wait for it here goes............
    African Americans(also referred to as Black Americans or Afro-Americans, and formerly as American Negroes) are citizens or residents of the United States

Lesson number one - use your head before posting............. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I'd say that was a joke ;)

I'd say that was a joke ;)

No it was just pure stupidity but will be passed off as a joke to save embarrassment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Joke, or not it used to happen. American TV - where black is considered a bit of a racist term - used to call Mandela an African American. He wasn't American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Yahew wrote: »
    Joke, or not it used to happen. American TV - where black is considered a bit of a racist term - used to call Mandela an African American. He wasn't American.

Good job we are not on american Tv so.

I actually could have written this same post myself, taxi driver tried charging me €15 was picked up near the Cleaboy and got dropped off at ballybricken one Friday eve no traffic or anything around. I think I gave him €8 no way was he getting €15.

On another occasion I got into a taxi at the rank on Johns Street, was heading up to the Cleaboy area again, Taxi driver refused to take a right turn and head out the manor. He proceeded to drive out passed Ballytruckle and wanted to head straight through to Johns Park to the dual carriage way. I had to order him to turn right at that roundabout by the Sacred Heart Church again wanted about €15... he knew exactly what he was doing though.

A close friend also had the same stunt pulled being locked in the car, the guards came along and they told my friend they are fed up of these incidents occuring. I have lived in both Cork and Dublin also, and used taxis regularly and never had this happen. Just seems to be a few bad eggs working as taxi drivers giving everybody else a bad name. I usually ring rapid now and arrange a pick up instead of flagging taxis.
    Rapid cabs is the way to go alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Funny you say Rapid Cabs. I'd say I booked a taxi 3 times into town in the past year (I normally just flag one).

Twice the driver was black, and I had absolutely no problem whatsoever.

The other time the fella was white. He had an English accent, but as he told me his life story, but was Irish and in Waterford over 20 years. He just was a bit of a prick and I don't want to get a lift off him again.

A few posters said they never had any trouble with an Irish taxi driver. Either they hardly ever get taxis, or its complete BS. 90% of taxi drivers are grand, but 10% are a complete pain in the hole. You are bound to come across them now and again. Anyone who never had a problem with an Irish driver hasn't taken many taxi journeys.

The thing is, if someone gets poor service from an Irish taxi driver they say they got poor service from a taxi driver. But if the taxi driver was black this sticks in peoples minds.

Anyway, if someone is not satisfied get a receipt report itto the taxi regulator, instead of spouting racist non-sense on here. That's what the regulator is here for.

Rapid cabs? Are you kidding?

Waterford Hackney is the only way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

dayshah wrote: »
    Funny you say Rapid Cabs. I'd say I booked a taxi 3 times into town in the past year (I normally just flag one).

Twice the driver was black, and I had absolutely no problem whatsoever.

The other time the fella was white. He had an English accent, but as he told me his life story, but was Irish and in Waterford over 20 years. He just was a bit of a prick and I don't want to get a lift off him again.

A few posters said they never had any trouble with an Irish taxi driver. Either they hardly ever get taxis, or its complete BS. 90% of taxi drivers are grand, but 10% are a complete pain in the hole. You are bound to come across them now and again. Anyone who never had a problem with an Irish driver hasn't taken many taxi journeys.

The thing is, if someone gets poor service from an Irish taxi driver they say they got poor service from a taxi driver. But if the taxi driver was black this sticks in peoples minds.

Anyway, if someone is not satisfied get a receipt report itto the taxi regulator, instead of spouting racist non-sense on here. That's what the regulator is here for.
    Had he a shaven head?

Advertisement