Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Taxi drivers experiencing racism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Had he a shaven head?

Could have, can't really remember. Had a few tatoos, probably in his 50s.

Didn't overcharge me or anything, he was just a bit of a pain in the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Yeah think thats the guy , he would bore for Ireland, nearly threw myself outof the car from listening to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Elbows22 wrote: »
    No it was just pure stupidity but will be passed off as a joke to save embarrassment :)

No, it was clearly a joke and you missed it. You may be projecting your feeling of embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

we were drunk one night and got taxi home by a black fella to kill st lawrence he literally robbed us 24euro from johns street to kill st lawrence never again will i get in a car with any of em, i,m an honest person and usually don,t question what i,m being charged but will from now on

If you were drunk are you sure it cost that much.. also do you remember traffic ? or get a receipt? or for that matter how much cash you left pub with rather then how much you wish you left with ;D

TBH OP My dads a taxi driver and irish, he says on some ranks doesn't matter what race you are, the other taxi lads there don't like you. Then there's the people who get into the car. If they don't like the driver it's their choice. Sure it might be racism but it's the fare's choice, if they want to stand around for another taxi then fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

No it was just pure stupidity but will be passed off as a joke to save embarrassment :)

Kepti wrote: »
    No, it was clearly a joke and you missed it. You may be projecting your feeling of embarrassment.

Point proven :)

• Advertisement

Point proven :)

How? I'm hardly embarrassed about it, since I didn't say it.

If you're looking to prove that you were right, you'll have to prove he was serious. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

No joke guys, Black = African American.

There are also terms that people should be using for a person of chinese / African American descent - a Chinegro, and for a person of African American / Hispanic descent - Hisblackispanic.

I'd appreciate if you would all use these terms in future to avoid further insults. It's difficult to understand how insulting words like African can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I think we should American in everywhere, not just for black people. All Irish people to now be known as Irish-American, the Cornish are now Cornish-American, and all Africans who are black are, as before, African-American. White africans are just too confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

I noticed an interesting point there whilst reading these posts. People are giving examples of times when they have had their doors locked when it comes time to pay/waiting to pay etc. Surely this is racism. Are the people in these situations not being tarred with the 'other people have done a runner on me', so these people will too! That is every bit as racist in my book as someone choosing to get a local driver because they had a bad experience in the past.

As someone said, there are a small minority destroying the reputation of these drivers. They know what is going on, if they want their business to be run fairly let the majority of fair drivers amongst them sort this problem out.

Excuses like, I ran out of change/printer paper/receipts won't wash with the public anymore, and rightly so. On the taxi regulators site, it states you are entitled to a hassle free journey to your destination. You are entitled to a warm clean car. You CAN pick whatever taxi you like, the same as when you buy anything else, the choice is YOURS. This is not being racist, this is everyones' right. If a taxi driver is working within the rules, being honest about the route they are taking you to your destination, then there should be no problem at all.

I think it is totally unacceptable, to take someone the long way home and then, when the PAYING person questions it, to have the bare faced cheek to threaten them with calling the police, when the driver instigated the situation they find themselves in, in the first place, it's a bloody cheek. To have the audacity to call that person a racist is taking the piss, big time. That is a fact.

parrai wrote: »
    I noticed an interesting point there whilst reading these posts. People are giving examples of times when they have had their doors locked when it comes time to pay/waiting to pay etc. Surely this is racism. Are the people in these situations not being tarred with the 'other people have done a runner on me', so these people will too! That is every bit as racist in my book as someone choosing to get a local driver because they had a bad experience in the past.

It can't be racism if a race isn't being singled out. If a taxi driver were to lock one race in his car until they paid, and not others, then that would count. Your example is closer to stereotyping.
    I think it is totally unacceptable, to take someone the long way home and then, when the PAYING person questions it, to have the bare faced cheek to threaten them with calling the police, when the driver instigated the situation they find themselves in, in the first place, it's a bloody cheek. To have the audacity to call that person a racist is taking the piss, big time. That is a fact.

I really think you have a poor grasp of racism. The example above is not racist. Nobody in the entire thread has claimed that, so I don't see who you're calling cheeky and audacious.

What is racist is avoiding all taxi drivers of a certain race, based on an encounter with a single member of that race.

• Advertisement

It can't be racism if a race isn't being singled out. If a taxi driver were to lock one race in his car until they paid, and not others, then that would count. Your example is closer to stereotyping.

Wrong. The examples given, that I am making my observation on are based on people who have given clear examples of non notional drivers, hence you call it stereotyping is wrong. It is clear racism on the part of the drivers.

They are assuming because a someone ran away without paying in the past, that the people they are locking into the car are going to do the same.

Really like the fact though that you think locking ANYONE into ANY car is acceptable, as you state 'if', as if 'if' could ever be an exceptable situation!

Wrong. The examples given, that I am making my observation on are based on people who have given clear examples of non notional drivers, hence you call it stereotyping is wrong. It is clear racism on the part of the drivers.

They are assuming because a someone ran away without paying in the past, that the people they are locking into the car are going to do the same.

If he isn't locking the door based on race, then it isn't racism. Him being a different race doesn't automatically make it racism. I don't understand what's hard to grasp about this.
    Really like the fact though that you think locking ANYONE into ANY car is acceptable, as you state 'if', as if 'if' could ever be an exceptable situation!

I don't think that's acceptable. You completely misinterpreted what I wrote.

Parrai:I think it is totally unacceptable, to take someone the long way home and then, when the PAYING person questions it, to have the bare faced cheek to threaten them with calling the police, when the driver instigated the situation they find themselves in, in the first place, it's a bloody cheek. To have the audacity to call that person a racist is taking the piss, big time. That is a fact.

I really think you have a poor grasp of racism. The example above is not racist. Nobody in the entire thread has claimed that, so I don't see who you're calling cheeky and audacious.

What is racist is avoiding all taxi drivers of a certain race, based on an encounter with a single member of that race.

The driver has done a test for the psv licence. In that test, he is required to demonstrate his knowledge of the shortest direction between to points.
    A driver that takes someone around the block to 'pump up' a fare, knowing the meter is calculated on distance is cheating the passenger.

When that passenger questions that driver bout why their fare is so much higher than usual, and gets the reply that the driver is going to call the police, for an incident, the driver has brought about, and then has the CHEEK to call the passenger a racist...The driver brought that incident on themselves!!! simple!

The part highlighted in bold... I don't think having the police brought around to someone who has done absolutely nothing wrong, just getting a taxi home or anywhere for that matter, and to have a trumped up charge, locked into a car, threatened, verbally abused, then to cry racist, is fair, it's just ludacris.

Tell me this, if the paying customer has an option of picking any taxi they like, akin to going into a shop and picking up a can of coke, rather than pepsi, (don't bother with saying I am not comparing like with like, cause the paying customer is buying a service/product) how can that be construed as racism? It is only racism when they actually abuse the person in question, not by passing them by, that is in the taxi drivers head.

The simple way to resolve this issue, like I have stated already, (and if you were to be fair and honest about it, and not be dealing in semantics,) is for the minority of the drivers who are crooked/corrupt, to be fair and honest in their dealings and gain the trust of the paying customer, like they had when they started, to stop ****hawking about and be fair/straight/honest/honourable/decent/mannerly... This is the truth, plain and simple

If he isn't locking the door based on race, then it isn't racism. Him being a different race doesn't automatically make it racism. I don't understand what's hard to grasp about this.

Why would he EVER have grounds to lock a passenger into a car?

Tell me this, if the paying customer has an option of picking any taxi they like, akin to going into a shop and picking up a can of coke, rather than pepsi, (don't bother with saying I am not comparing like with like, cause the paying customer is buying a service/product) how can that be construed as racism? It is only racism when they actually abuse the person in question, not by passing them by, that is in the taxi drivers head.

All cans of coke can be expected to taste the same. All members of a race are not the same. Racism can exist without actually expressing it or abusing someone.
    The simple way to resolve this issue, like I have stated already, (and if you were to be fair and honest about it, and not be dealing in semantics,) is for the minority of the drivers who are crooked/corrupt, to be fair and honest in their dealings and gain the trust of the paying customer, like they had when they started, to stop ****hawking about and be fair/straight/honest/honourable/decent/mannerly... This is the truth, plain and simple

People will stop being racist if the minority of offenders decide to start being nice guys? That is simple, but not in the sense you meant.

He wouldn't. I didn't say he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

Yahew wrote: »
    I think we should American in everywhere, not just for black people. All Irish people to now be known as Irish-American, the Cornish are now Cornish-American, and all Africans who are black are, as before, African-American. White africans are just too confusing.

Fair points and thank you on joining this important discussion.

Agree fully about White Africans. In fairness like, wtf! They should just go home and stop confusing people.

All cans of coke can be expected to taste the same. All members of a race are not the same. Racism can exist without actually expressing it or abusing someone.

This is not the point, we are talking about it being used it taxis...
    If I'm providing a service to you, that you know is X euros and I charge X+25%, are you not correct to challenge this, without being called a racist, have the police called for you, threatened, locked in a car, whatever race you are?
    People will stop being racist if the minority of offenders decide to start being nice guys? That is simple, but not in the sense you meant.

What does this mean? What sense do you think I meant it in?

He wouldn't. I didn't say he would.

Really, why this then?

This is not the point, we are talking about it being used it taxis...
    If I'm providing a service to you, that you know is X euros and I charge X+25%, are you not correct to challenge this, without being called a racist, have the police called for you, threatened, locked in a car, whatever race you are?

You would be correct to challenge this and it would not be racist to do so.

What does this mean? What sense do you think I meant it in?

Let's just say it's not a workable solution.

• Advertisement

Really, why this then?

There's nothing about what I wrote that suggests that a driver has any right to lock anyone in their taxi. Let me try to clarify.

If a taxi driver locks a person in his taxi, then that driver is in the wrong.

If a taxi driver locks a person in his taxi because of the person's race, then that driver is in the wrong and also a racist.

You would be correct to challenge this and it would not be racist to do so.

Fair enough, agreed.

The simple way to resolve this issue, like I have stated already, is for the minority of the drivers who are crooked/corrupt, to be fair and honest in their dealings and gain the trust of the paying customer, like they had when they started, to stop ****hawking about and be fair/straight/honest/honourable/decent/mannerly... This is the truth, plain and simple

Let's just say it's not a workable solution.

What is not workable about this suggestion?

There's nothing about what I wrote that suggests that a driver has any right to lock anyone in their taxi. Let me try to clarify.

If a taxi driver locks a person in his taxi, then that driver is in the wrong.

If a taxi driver locks a person in his taxi because of the person's race, then that driver is in the wrong and also a racist.

Fair play

What is not workable about this suggestion?

I can't see a bunch of people who you rightly describe as crooked and corrupt spontaneously deciding to lead honest lives. They will only change due to external pressure, not of their own accord.

I can't see a bunch of people who you rightly describe as crooked and corrupt spontaneously deciding to lead honest lives. They will only change due to external pressure, not of their own accord.

Exactly... So the the problem lies with the stone throwers.

Yahew wrote: »

Aaahhhh, mind fvck.

What's Charlize Theron?

white afro american?

caucasian african

caucasian african american

caucasian (despite not being from caucasuses or however that place near Georgia is spelt). Thats caucus georgia, not american georgia.

I think I;ll just call her toots.

If someone is locked in a taxi, why can't they unlock the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dayshah wrote: »
    If someone is locked in a taxi, why can't they unlock the door.

I never heard this one before...
    Gwon tell us :pac:

seanybiker wrote: »
    I never heard this one before...
    Gwon tell us :pac:

Maybe I misunderstood, and by 'locked' they mean drunk. Because you'd have to be fairly pissed not to figure out how to open a car door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

dayshah wrote: »

Shouldn't it be American african ? Cause if it's African American we are singling out one race or are we now singling out Americans,
    Fook am I being racist now !

It bugs the ****e out of me when the race card is used so flipintly,
    Anyone every turn it round and accuse coloured people of being racist.
    Can we not be subject to racism because of the colour of our skin ?

Advertisement