Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Taxi drivers experiencing racism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

uppishhauk wrote: »
    I'm shocked at the amount of racists on boards

If you refuse a taxi because the person is of the same ethnicity as the driver with whom you had a bad experience in the past (even if multiple times) then you're a racist, there is no buts about that

You're also a disgrace to Waterford, Ireland and humanity

If you keep exposing yourself to the source of bad expierences your just dumb, in this instance it just happens to be coloured drivers, so bang up pops the race card.
    If I choose to not get I the car then that is my choice.
    If those of you looking down from your ivory towers class me a racist than so be it,
    If I have an extra few bob in my pocket at the end of it, who gives a ****e what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

uppishhauk wrote: »
    I'm shocked at the amount of racists on boards

How is that a bad thing??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 galdon

Ok...and, just out of curiosity, if the first taxi on the rank is a black lad and spends the journey on the phone and then when he gets to your house and the fare is 10.20 and you only have a tenner cause it's never cause more than 9 to get to your house before this...and he makes you go into your house at 3am and come back out with 20 cent...and acts like the worse kind of ignorant prick...

Do you then give the next black lad a chance in case he's sound?

I'm just wondering...

Personally...I'll go for the local lad cause I like to have an auld chat on the way home. I wouldn't refuse to get in a cab with a black driver but I'll know what to expect once I'm in (although I was once brought home by a black lad who was full of chat and gave out about local stuff as much as a local lad. That was fun).

I think it's about time that Irish people admitted that they were a bit racist. This whole crap "I'm not racist...but..." really annoys me. Irish people are generally wary of people that are on the fringes of society. Polish...russian...latvian...we can never be sure which one is going to come at us with an axe. Black lads...we can never be sure which one is a doctor and which one is a rapist. It's, of course, ignorance of the highest order, but it's to be expected when we went so long with the only people we were wary of being travellers.
    HaHaHa...fantastic post...couldn't agree more! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Just thought I'd share my experiences with a few taxi drivers last night.
    I was trying to flag down a taxi at the Grotto on the Cork Road, was going to the entrance to Norwood. At night time with no traffic, that is a 2 minute journey at most, literally 120 seconds. I wanted to see if any taxi drivers would bring me there for 5 euro.

I flagged down 3 drivers. The first 2 were African. They said 5 euro would not get me to Norwood. I asked would it get me to the top of Keane's road, they said no. I asked how far would 5 euro get me. Both of them responded that 5 euro would get me "nowhere".

Third driver was Irish. He said 5 euro grand. Took less than 2 minutes.

What I also can't understand is there were maybe 3 other taxis who passed me, lights on to say they were available, I waved and called (I wasn't in a bad way now just to say, I wasn't stumbling onto the road or anything like that) and they didn't stop. Are they looking for a fare or what? The same taxi drivers who complain about too many taxis and they are turning down fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I was trying to flag down a taxi at the Grotto on the Cork Road, was going to the entrance to Norwood. At night time with no traffic, that is a 2 minute journey at most, literally 120 seconds. I wanted to see if any taxi drivers would bring me there for 5 euro.

I flagged down 3 drivers. The first 2 were African. They said 5 euro would not get me to Norwood. I asked would it get me to the top of Keane's road, they said no. I asked how far would 5 euro get me. Both of them responded that 5 euro would get me "nowhere".

Third driver was Irish. He said 5 euro grand. Took less than 2 minutes.

What I also can't understand is there were maybe 3 other taxis who passed me, lights on to say they were available, I waved and called (I wasn't in a bad way now just to say, I wasn't stumbling onto the road or anything like that) and they didn't stop. Are they looking for a fare or what? The same taxi drivers who complain about too many taxis and they are turning down fares.

tell me this cheapskate,
    did you haggle with the barman over the price of the pints or the fella in the kebab shop for your food, i bet not,
    the taxi drivers who refused you were 100% right,
    offering a man a poxy fiver on a new yeas eve night to bring you home, ya hungry fcuker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

offering a man a poxy fiver on a new yeas eve night to bring you home, ya hungry fcuker.

I think you will find that most taxis have an initial charge and at night time it's a premium rate. According to Rapid Cabs website:
    http://www.rapidcabs.com/TaxiPrices.htm

4.45 would have gotten him 1km or 170 seconds whichever comes first. So his fiver would have gotten him home, or close enough with most standard taxi companies. So the first two taxi drivers that refused his custom lost out on a valid fare.

tell me this cheapskate,
    did you haggle with the barman over the price of the pints or the fella in the kebab shop for your food, i bet not,

No, I didn't haggle with the barman or the fella in the chipper. What I did do however, was leave Harveys because they were expensive in comparison to the Foundry, so I voted with my feet.

As pointed out above, it was a valid fare that I was offering. How is 5 euro "poxy"? As I stated, it is literally less than a 2 minute drive, i don't think offering 5 euro is bad for that. That works out as 150 euro an hour.

How is the fact that it is New Years Eve relevant? Maybe in times gone past when the whole town was out for the night, taxis were in short supply and so the demand becomes greater and the prices goes up, but that is no longer the case. A product or service's value is determined by demand. There wasn't many people out last night and no shortage of taxis from what I could see.

As regards the taxis drivers being 100% right, whether they accepted my offer for a fare or not is their prerogative. Saying that they are right for telling me 5 euro will get me nowhere is a bit questionable in terms of professionalism to say the least.

In principle, I see nothing wrong with haggling. As I said though, I wouldn't try it for a pint or a burger, but I would do it on other products or services, especially the way things are now. Taxi drivers have been ripping people off for years, and it's perfectly reasonable that I try to negotiate what I think is a fair price for a journey. If everyone simply paid the set price for a product or service without questioning whether it was cheap or dear, then there would be no value for money. This is the exact principle that has allowed your pubs to do so well. People were fed up payinh through the nose for drink and so they decided to go to your places for 3 euro pints. This has allowed you to line your pockets quite nicely. And while we're on the subject of being a hungry fcuker, I would hazard a guess that you're minted at this stage and you've openly stated you will not pay the household charge. To me, that is stingey.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

No, I didn't haggle with the barman or the fella in the chipper. What I did do however, was leave Harveys because they were expensive in comparison to the Foundry, so I voted with my feet.

As pointed out above, it was a valid fare that I was offering. How is 5 euro "poxy"? As I stated, it is literally less than a 2 minute drive, i don't think offering 5 euro is bad for that. That works out as 150 euro an hour.

How is the fact that it is New Years Eve relevant? Maybe in times gone past when the whole town was out for the night, taxis were in short supply and so the demand becomes greater and the prices goes up, but that is no longer the case. A product or service's value is determined by demand. There wasn't many people out last night and no shortage of taxis from what I could see.

As regards the taxis drivers being 100% right, whether they accepted my offer for a fare or not is their prerogative. Saying that they are right for telling me 5 euro will get me nowhere is a bit questionable in terms of professionalism to say the least.

In principle, I see nothing wrong with haggling. As I said though, I wouldn't try it for a pint or a burger, but I would do it on other products or services, especially the way things are now. Taxi drivers have been ripping people off for years, and it's perfectly reasonable that I try to negotiate what I think is a fair price for a journey. If everyone simply paid the set price for a product or service without questioning whether it was cheap or dear, then there would be no value for money. This is the exact principle that has allowed your pubs to do so well. People were fed up payinh through the nose for drink and so they decided to go to your places for 3 euro pints. This has allowed you to line your pockets quite nicely. And while we're on the subject of being a hungry fcuker, I would hazard a guess that you're minted at this stage and you've openly stated you will not pay the household charge. To me, that is stingey.

Well said dan, I completely agree with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

five euro would get ya anywhere in tramore with the hackney company out there so why not be the same with a taxi in waterford???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

If the non-irish drivers had accepted your offer of a fiver they could be accused of (illegally)under cutting the Irish drivers.

No win situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Chiparus wrote: »
    If the non-irish drivers had accepted your offer of a fiver they could be accused of (illegally)under cutting the Irish drivers.

No win situation
    The prices set by the regulator are a maximum.

That said, anti social hours bank holiday rate is almost a fiver for allowing you in the car. If someone was crazy enough to ask for a two minute spin who knows what **** they might pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I thought it was well known that "Irish" taxi drivers invariably give a discount to "Irish" passengers (e.g., meter says €5.70, driver says €5 is grand).

So called "non-Irish" taxi drivers, quite lawfully, charge what the meter says - no more, no less.

..and so there is the incentive for Irish passengers to choose "Irish" taxi drivers over the others. It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

tell me this cheapskate,

How exactly does billythepig get away with posts like this?? I've watched people being banned for alot less. I thought it was attack the post and not the poster??

dayshah wrote: »
    If someone was crazy enough to ask for a two minute spin who knows what **** they might pull.

Eh?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Placebofan

I will go the complete opposite way of most people on this topic and say that the rampant racism against black taxi drivers absolutely disgusts me.

Honestly the amount of times I've been in a taxi and the Irish taxi driver suddenly starts talking derogatorily about black taxi drivers it has become such a common occurrence, I outright refuse to participate in such a conversation whereas others will.

Not only that but the claims are bloody ridiculous. I've never been ripped off by a black taxi driver, never had a bad experience of any kind. I can only speak positively about them, the same can't be said for these casually racist Irish taxi drivers who feel it is their God given right to be given a job ahead of someone with a different skin colour. I find a decent percentage of Irish drivers I've had to be small minded, loud mouthed, morons who belong in a different century. A cruel indictment of just how backward Ireland still is in certain respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

<snipped>

Would you plonkers ever get it into your heads that it would only be €150 an hour if you were in it for an hour, you never take into account the amount of time taxis are empty.

Even in your case 2 mins up the road---2 mins back ( EMPTY) drops it down to €75 and there's many a time when it takes far far longer than 2 mins to find your next fare....

BTW Just for the record if I'd been there I would have told you straight, I'll take you but it's on the meter and if your not happy then tough, get another cab

Next time walk you stingy moaning git!!!! and happy new year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

why are people complaining, if you dont like it dont get in, i have a sound guy been using about five years drops me to outside ferrybank for eight quid everytime if hes busy hell get a mate to come and do it for the same price

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Would you plonkers ever get it into your heads that it would only be €150 an hour if you were in it for an hour, you never take into account the amount of time taxis are empty.

Even in your case 2 mins up the road---2 mins back ( EMPTY) drops it down to €75 and there's many a time when it takes far far longer than 2 mins to find your next fare....

Well obviously, plonker!

only 75 euro an hour for unskilled work? My heart bleeds.
    And anyway, a taxi driver might easily find a fare on the way back from a journey with someone flagging them down.

It sounds like you work as a taxi driver? And here you are saying next time I should walk, that's great advertisement for your profession anyway. Offering a fair price and just because it's not up to your perceived threshold of what is enough (even though it matches the price rules as pointed out earlier) you prefer to throw your toys out of the pram and call me stingey. The very idea of a taxi driver calling anyone else stingey when I've met so many taxi drivers who are thieves, is beyond hypocritical.

Now if you're unprepared to engage in intelligent conversation, I suggest you go preach elsewhere keyboard warrior, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

The way things are gone now I wouldnt recommend anyone to walk anywhere in the depths of night even if it is just 2 minute drive

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

I was trying to flag down a taxi at the Grotto on the Cork Road, was going to the entrance to Norwood. At night time with no traffic, that is a 2 minute journey at most, literally 120 seconds.

are you sure about that? i reckon you'd be hard pushed to do that in 4mins- from what i gather its a 2km trip. during the typical route
    (hennesy's rd., mattie's hill,keanes rd. onto cleaboy rd.)
    you have to navigate through 3 roundabouts,2traffic lights and all at 50kmph.
    as posted earlier, tariff C which was in effect at the time would have gotten you the 1st km for 4.45 but each km after that is charged at a rate of 1.77 which would mean the fare should be at least 6.23.

personally i would have had no problem picking you up. i used to do some hackney work in tramore until recently and all local fares are 5euro which could be up to 4.5km sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

How exactly does billythepig get away with posts like this?? I've watched people being banned for alot less. I thought it was attack the post and not the poster??

im telling teacher on you :mad:

Well obviously, plonker!

And anyway, a taxi driver might easily find a fare on the way back from a journey with someone flagging them down.

It sounds like you work as a taxi driver? And here you are saying next time I should walk, that's great advertisement for your profession anyway. Offering a fair price and just because it's not up to your perceived threshold of what is enough (even though it matches the price rules as pointed out earlier) you prefer to throw your toys out of the pram and call me stingey. The very idea of a taxi driver calling anyone else stingey when I've met so many taxi drivers who are thieves, is beyond hypocritical.

Now if you're unprepared to engage in intelligent conversation, I suggest you go preach elsewhere keyboard warrior, alright.

Here we go again €75 for unskilled work, it's NOT work it's a business with business overheads etc. It realy galls me when people look at their own fare and think "mmmm that'd be a nice earner €10 for 10 mins works" and don't bother to think about the €0 for 20+mins of no work.

As to you walking if I ever get anyone in my cab that produces even a modicum of the "sneer down my nose at you , mere taxi driver man" then that's business I'd prefer not to have and a walk is what you deserve

As I said I run a business not hold out a begging bowl or run a charity for people who've overspent in the pub or takeaway.

As to what is enough, the metered fare is enough, that's why I have a meter, and if you wanna try negotiating it down then find a more desperate business man because if it's me you ask you're getting as close to a €5 metered ride and walking the rest of the way

Edited bit

I assume from the date of your post that you are refereing to a NYE as well, for information purposes

€5 would get you 1.3 Km give or take, if you are further than that then you walk the rest of the way, if you're not, then lucky you, you get to get home for less than a €5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

im telling teacher on you :mad:

Well boards.ie is supposed to be moderated so we don't have to read pathetic namecalling and trolling. However, some tits will always use it as a method of displaying their ignorance.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Here we go again €75 for unskilled work, it's NOT work it's a business with business overheads etc. It realy galls me when people look at their own fare and think "mmmm that'd be a nice earner €10 for 10 mins works" and don't bother to think about the €0 for 20+mins of no work.

As to you walking if I ever get anyone in my cab that produces even a modicum of the "sneer down my nose at you , mere taxi driver man" then that's business I'd prefer not to have and a walk is what you deserve

As I said I run a business not hold out a begging bowl or run a charity for people who've overspent in the pub or takeaway.

As to what is enough, the metered fare is enough, that's why I have a meter, and if you wanna try negotiating it down then find a more desperate business man because if it's me you ask you're getting as close to a €5 metered ride and walking the rest of the way

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Well boards.ie is supposed to be moderated so we don't have to read pathetic namecalling and trolling. However, some tits will always use it as a method of displaying their ignorance.:rolleyes:

Tombliboo83 I completely agree with what your saying! His posts are rude, ignorant and just bloody pointless. I'd swear he only says what he says to get a reaction from people!

Now I'll sit back and wait for my disciplining from the mods...

Edited bit

I assume from the date of your post that you are refereing to a NYE as well, for information purposes

€5 would get you 1.3 Km give or take, if you are further than that then you walk the rest of the way, if you're not, then lucky you, you get to get home for less than a €5

Ok you are making points and responding to things that I have not said.

I never said the amount of money goes straight in your pocket, but whatever amount of money in question (75 euro for the sake of argument) is paid entirely by the customer. What I'm saying is that it is a lot of money for an unskilled service for such a short period of time.

5 euro would get me 1.3 kilometres give or take, grand. If you read my posts, you will see that this is what I asked the first 2 drivers, how far will it get me. They didn't seem interested at all, told me it would get me nowhere.

As for me sneering down my nose at a taxi driver, show me where I said that, or else retract your statement.

As regards the reason for having a meter, how often do taxi drivers fiddle around with the meter, add extra passengers, callout charge or whatever else they can add. If you deny that this happens, which you probably will, please explain the huge discrepancies in meter readings between different taxis from the same company for the same journey. Taxis from town to norwood after a night out have ranged from 6 euro to 13 euro on different occasions.

daaave wrote: »
    are you sure about that? i reckon you'd be hard pushed to do that in 4mins- from what i gather its a 2km trip. during the typical route
    (hennesy's rd., mattie's hill,keanes rd. onto cleaboy rd.)
    you have to navigate through 3 roundabouts,2traffic lights and all at 50kmph.

Yes, less than 2 minutes, now I wasn't recording it on a stop watch but I'd put my house on it. There was no traffic at any junction or roundabout, and the lights were green for us. Taxi driver was pushing it too.

Ok you are making points and responding to things that I have not said.

I never said the amount of money goes straight in your pocket, but whatever amount of money in question (75 euro for the sake of argument) is paid entirely by the customer. What I'm saying is that it is a lot of money for an unskilled service for such a short period of time.

5 euro would get me 1.3 kilometres give or take, grand. If you read my posts, you will see that this is what I asked the first 2 drivers, how far will it get me. They didn't seem interested at all, told me it would get me nowhere.

As for me sneering down my nose at a taxi driver, show me where I said that, or else retract your statement.

Your entire attitude stinks of sneering
    The very fact that you decided that it would be interesting to
    I wanted to see if any taxi drivers would bring me there for 5 euro.
    stinks of sneering

And again you're not reading the posts, €75 an hour IF ( notice it's a big "if" ) you are engaged for an entire hour, depending on where you're going and what average speed you can attain. There are not many jobs that would take up an hour and those that do would (more often than not ) take you outside of any areas where there was a liklihood of a return fare or even outside of the area where you were entitled to work, so that's 2 hours for €75 which is far closer than your initial €150 per hour, if you're lucky

Look up the figures and use a calculator, you'd be surprised at how much taxi drivers earn turnover as opposed to what they could theoreticly earn turnover

Your entire attitude stinks of sneering

The very fact that you decided that it would be interesting to
    stinks of sneering

And again you're not reading the posts, €75 an hour IF ( notice it's a big "if" ) you are engaged for an entire hour, depending on where you're going and what average speed you can attain. There are not many jobs that would take up an hour and those that do would (more often than not ) take you outside of any areas where there was a liklihood of a return fare or even outside of the area where you were entitled to work, so that's 2 hours for €75 which is far closer than your initial €150 per hour, if you're lucky

Look up the figures and use a calculator, you'd be surprised at how much taxi drivers earn turnover as opposed to what they could theoreticly earn turnover

Oh pleae teacher what's wrong with my attitude? Let's focus on the facts, shall we, instead of what you perceive as my bad attitude. If you cannot support your libelous accusation with reference to objective statements by me, then I suggest you either retract it or think twice about making them in the future. If you have a chip on your shoulder about other people looking down on you because you're a taxi driver, don't project those insecurities onto me.

First of all, only 75 euro an hour for unskilled work, yes I stand by what I said. I understand that a taxi driver is not earning money for every minute that goes by as he does not have a fare, but the time when he does have a fare the charge is 75 euro per hour or whatever it is, either way I think it's excessive. When I said my heart bleeds, that was in response to you saying "only 75 euro an hour" (emphasis added).

The very fact I thought it would be interesting to see if a taxi driver would take me home for 5 euro? That is pure speculation on your part and factually untrue. Where did I say I did it just because it's interesting? Let's see you back this one up too. Not that it's any of your fcuking business, but I'm completely broke at the moment, and every few euro counts. I'm sick of getting in a taxi and having no idea how much the fare will be. I know guidelines and rules exist but as I have pointed out already (another point which you conveniently failed to address) there are huge discrepancies in the prices I have been charged for the same journey. So, I merely tried to negotiate what I felt is a fair price for the trip. 5 euro for 120 seconds, as I said. The first Irish taxi driver I asked said no problem.

• Advertisement

Oh pleae teacher what's wrong with my attitude? Let's focus on the facts, shall we, instead of what you perceive as my bad attitude. If you cannot support your libelous accusation with reference to objective statements by me, then I suggest you either retract it or think twice about making them in the future. If you have a chip on your shoulder about other people looking down on you because you're a taxi driver, don't project those insecurities onto me.

First of all, only 75 euro an hour for unskilled work, yes I stand by what I said. I understand that a taxi driver is not earning money for every minute that goes by as he does not have a fare, but the time when he does have a fare the charge is 75 euro per hour or whatever it is, either way I think it's excessive. When I said my heart bleeds, that was in response to you saying "only 75 euro an hour" (emphasis added).

The very fact I thought it would be interesting to see if a taxi driver would take me home for 5 euro? That is pure speculation on your part and factually untrue. Where did I say I did it just because it's interesting? Let's see you back this one up too. Not that it's any of your fcuking business, but I'm completely broke at the moment, and every few euro counts. I'm sick of getting in a taxi and having no idea how much the fare will be. I know guidelines and rules exist but as I have pointed out already (another point which you conveniently failed to address) there are huge discrepancies in the prices I have been charged for the same journey. So, I merely tried to negotiate what I felt is a fair price for the trip. 5 euro for 120 seconds, as I said. The first Irish taxi driver I asked said no problem.

And there goes your whole attitude problem again, not once have i resorted to using expletives
    Not that it's any of your fcuking business
    That's what makes me think you have an attitude problem.

BTW if you are going to add an edit to a post at least tell me about it as I don't often re-read threads
    As regards the reason for having a meter, how often do taxi drivers fiddle around with the meter, add extra passengers, callout charge or whatever else they can add. If you deny that this happens, which you probably will, please explain the huge discrepancies in meter readings between different taxis from the same company for the same journey. Taxis from town to norwood after a night out have ranged from 6 euro to 13 euro on different occasions.

What you get from the taxi drivers you use I know nothing of, but you get in my cab you pay what's on the meter including extras if they are applicable.
    If you find a taxidriver is adding extras that are not applicable then you should ask for a receipt and take it up with the TRD, if you find a metered journey is significantly different, again you shoulld get a receipt and complain to the TRD, it is "plausible" that someone may have a meter that is deliberately overclocked as it is also plausible that you have such an attitude towards taxi drivers that no matter what I say you will still complain

EDIT

You realy think I have insecurities.....boy oh boy, you have a lot to learn about people

Further Edit

And again you relate to this €75 per hour, the fact is it's €5 for whatever length of time your journey was, until such time as the taxi driver gets another fare that works out at €5 for an hour, now if the taxidriver is lucky he might push that average up to €30-€35 by getting more fares, maybe even higher on the busy period of NYE, but still nowhere near your mythical €75

Advertisement