Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Taxi drivers experiencing racism

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Not that it's any of your fcuking business, but I'm completely broke at the moment, and every few euro counts. I'm sick of getting in a taxi and having no idea how much the fare will be.

I agree with you there Dan, Ive been unemployed the last 18 months and on the very few nights i go out i have to set aside money for a taxi home..

Ive had 4 bad experiences with NN and the one that sticks out is being charged €16 from town to my house, and i live nearer to town than Norwood, only for i saw my dad pulling down the blinds i rang him as he wouldnt leave me out of the taxi. When he saw my dad coming (Phil Mitchels twin) he snapped the fiver outta my hand after spitting at me...

And for that reason I will only use one taxi firm in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Your entire attitude stinks of sneering

The very fact that you decided that it would be interesting to
    stinks of sneering

And again you're not reading the posts, €75 an hour[SIZE="5"] IF[/SIZE] ( notice it's a big "if" ) you are engaged for an entire hour, depending on where you're going and what average speed you can attain. There are not many jobs that would take up an hour and those that do would (more often than not ) take you outside of any areas where there was a liklihood of a return fare or even outside of the area where you were entitled to work, so that's 2 hours for €75 which is far closer than your initial €150 per hour, if you're lucky

Look up the figures and use a calculator, you'd be surprised at how much taxi drivers earn turnover as opposed to what they could theoreticly earn turnover

Oh pleae teacher what's wrong with my attitude? Let's focus on the facts, shall we, instead of what you perceive as my bad attitude. If you cannot support your libelous accusation with reference to objective statements by me, then I suggest you either retract it or think twice about making them in the future. If you have a chip on your shoulder about other people looking down on you because you're a taxi driver, don't project those insecurities onto me.

First of all, only 75 euro an hour for unskilled work, yes I stand by what I said. I understand that a taxi driver is not earning money for every minute that goes by as he does not have a fare, but the time when he does have a fare the charge is 75 euro per hour or whatever it is, either way I think it's excessive. When I said my heart bleeds, that was in response to you saying "only 75 euro an hour" (emphasis added).

The very fact I thought it would be interesting to see if a taxi driver would take me home for 5 euro? That is pure speculation on your part and factually untrue. Where did I say I did it just because it's interesting? Let's see you back this one up too. Not that it's any of your fcuking business, but I'm completely broke at the moment, and every few euro counts. I'm sick of getting in a taxi and having no idea how much the fare will be. I know guidelines and rules exist but as I have pointed out already (another point which you conveniently failed to address) there are huge discrepancies in the prices I have been charged for the same journey. So, I merely tried to negotiate what I felt is a fair price for the trip. 5 euro for 120 seconds, as I said. The first Irish taxi driver I asked said no problem.

Your whole argument is based on it taking 2 mins to drive from the Cork road to Norwood, even at that hour of the night it would take you longer.
    Unless of course you demand that your poxy fiver buys you the right to set the legal driving speed aswell as the fare.

Nypd wrote: »
    your poxy fiverQUOTE]

:cool:

love that word... "poxy"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Your whole argument is based on it taking 2 mins to drive from the Cork road to Norwood, even at that hour of the night it would take you longer.
    Unless of course you demand that your poxy fiver buys you the right to set the legal driving speed aswell as the fare.

The problem with some people is that they believe that their fare, beit a poxy €5 or a poxy €20 gives them the right to dictate what laws you should ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

And there goes your whole attitude problem again, not once have i resorted to using expletives

That's what makes me think you have an attitude problem.

BTW if you are going to add an edit to a post at least tell me about it as I don't often re-read threads

What you get from the taxi drivers you use I know nothing of, but you get in my cab you pay what's on the meter including extras if they are applicable.
    If you find a taxidriver is adding extras that are not applicable then you should ask for a receipt and take it up with the TRD, if you find a metered journey is significantly different, again you shoulld get a receipt and complain to the TRD, it is "plausible" that someone may have a meter that is deliberately overclocked as it is also plausible that you have such an attitude towards taxi drivers that no matter what I say you will still complain

EDIT

You realy think I have insecurities.....boy oh boy, you have a lot to learn about people

Ok this is the last time I'm going to respond to you on this thread.

You say I have a bad attitude because I'm using expletives, you have called me a stingey git and a plonker pre-emptively just because I posted up a series of facts, and yet you have audacity to question my attitude. You are a hypocrite.

I did not say you have insecurities, I said if, again you have failed to understand what I said.

You are really having difficulty understanding this concept of why I am saying the taxi fees are excessive. I am talking from the point of view of the consumer paying the money, not from the business costs and related profit of the taxi driver/company after these costs have been deducted. This is the 3rd time I've explained this.

As regards me having a lot to learn about people, that may be the case. But for some random internet stranger to tell me that, it doesn't hold much weight. I couldn't care less tbh.

What do you mean "it would take you longer"? I have already stated, it did take 2 minutes. As I said, no traffic, lights were with us.
    The problem with some people is that they believe that their fare, beit a poxy €5 or a poxy €20 gives them the right to dictate what laws you should ignore.

This is the funniest part of the thread. The impression that Spookie and Nypd are giving is that I somehow encouraged or asked the taxi driver to drive over the speed limit. Are you people insane? More often than not, taxi drivers will break the speed limit at night time when there is not much traffic. This is something I haven't complained about but to say I somehow demanded that the taxi driver break the law just to make it home in under the 2 minute mark is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

just a quick note.....on the night in question it wasn't NYE it was NY Day (past midnight on 31st) so a Bank Holiday too.

Secondly, Dan133269 explained he asked how far a fiver would get him. Perfectly reasonable. What wasn't, was the first drivers turned him down stating that a fiver would get him "nowhere". Thats wrong! Surely if they stop they have an obligation to take the fare, no matter how far you are going or the cost of the trip.(unless their safety is in jeopardy etc)

I got a taxi from town to my house one night and was charged €11. The same trip the following week (at the same time in similar traffic conditions) cost me €6.

This isn't a question of race/ethnicity anymore. Its about our rights as a customer across the board!

I agree with Dan, think the posts should turn back from a personal slagging match and back to the point in question, and this is not about what the taxi drivers earn, its about the fare they charge for a journey. Back on topic anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I am not going to get into this slagging match, but my tuppence halpenny worth is that you find a guy/ company that treats you well and fairly and stick with them, I have done this for the last ten years and never have a problem getting a cab, they are always clean, both cabs and drivers, and they charge what the meter says.
    There are cowboys in every industry, probably more in the cab industry by the look of the previous posts, its your euro you don't have to take cr ap from people, only once, then vote with your feet, whether they are black blue, yellow or tango.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

What laws might that be? If you are pointing to the speed laws it's showing you don't understand the basic concept of the meter in relation to time, speed and distance. And we wonder why our fares vary when something so simple seems to be beyond most taxi drivers reasoning :rolleyes:

The initial charge is X amount OR Y number of seconds depending on tariffs in play. The OR is highlighted for emphasis. If he goes 20km/h or less the time rate applies with the distance rate kicking in once you go above 21 to whatever crazy speed they want to go at. It won't make a blind bit of difference to the initial charge because they still have to bypass their initial metric no matter how their driving style meets it. So any taxi driver breaking the speed limit are not only selfish but they are doing it for profit to squeeze as many trips into as short a space of time as possible. If you are on about another law let me know and apologies in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

id hate to be a taxi driver in this town having to put up with some people on here,
    my normal taxi fare comes to around 7 euro, but i always trow the driver a tenner,
    with the shyte they have to listen to i think they desreve it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

You always give your taxi driver a tenner, with a €3 tip in it?

*sniff sniff*

Smells...smells like bull****....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

id hate to be a taxi driver in this town having to put up with some people on here,
    my normal taxi fare comes to around 7 euro, but i always trow the driver a tenner,

so ya give the driver an extra €3 for listening to ya! now does that depend on the initial ****e + the duration of the ****e or the speed that it flies out ur mouth?

wud ya give him an extra few quid again if it was a bank holiday and u were full of €3 pints?

how much ****e can we listen to for a fiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

So you'd give a taxi driver a €3 tip but you wont pay the property tax??

Thats 33 taxi tips and your property tax is paid for.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056484003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Looks like Billy the muck is building up a bow wave of displeasure, maybe he should mend his ways for the new year and make a new years resolution, to be more diplomatic, nicer to people , less in yer face, we'll leave the spelling out, personally I'm off the pints three days and no bother other than the odd involuntary overall body twitch, and the infrequent projectile vomit.
    So William what's the chances?

For dan, note I wasn't just refering to your fare but in general, "do a U turn here", ""take that street ( pedestrianised) it's shorter" are 2 recent examples of customer instructions received by me, neither of which was executed
    Ok this is the last time I'm going to respond to you on this thread.

<snipped>

You are really having difficulty understanding this concept of why I am saying the taxi fees are excessive. I am talking from the point of view of the consumer paying the money, not from the business costs and related profit of the taxi driver/company after these costs have been deducted. This is the 3rd time I've explained this.

<snipped>

What do you mean "it would take you longer"? I have already stated, it did take 2 minutes. As I said, no traffic, lights were with us.

This is the funniest part of the thread. The impression that Spookie and Nypd are giving is that I somehow encouraged or asked the taxi driver to drive over the speed limit. Are you people insane? More often than not, taxi drivers will break the speed limit at night time when there is not much traffic. This is something I haven't complained about but to say I somehow demanded that the taxi driver break the law just to make it home in under the 2 minute mark is laughable.

So you would rather a business charge you below cost just to accomodate your stingy nature, that is in reality what you are saying. The costs are costs why should a business pay those costs just so you can enjoy a €5 fare because you want to save something like €1.50 on a metered fare.

The variance in fares from other taxis is nothing to do with this as a propetly metered taxi should have a meter that is calibrated and the same journey under the same conditions should vary by no more than probably 20/40c if it does then you should be involving the TRD not complaining on here
    watermark wrote: »
    just a quick note.....on the night in question it wasn't NYE it was NY Day (past midnight on 31st) so a Bank Holiday too.

Secondly, Dan133269 explained he asked how far a fiver would get him. Perfectly reasonable. What wasn't, was the first drivers turned him down stating that a fiver would get him "nowhere". Thats wrong! Surely if they stop they have an obligation to take the fare, no matter how far you are going or the cost of the trip.(unless their safety is in jeopardy etc)

I got a taxi from town to my house one night and was charged €11. The same trip the following week (at the same time in similar traffic conditions) cost me €6.

This isn't a question of race/ethnicity anymore. Its about our rights as a customer across the board!

I agree with Dan, think the posts should turn back from a personal slagging match and back to the point in question, and this is not about what the taxi drivers earn, its about the fare they charge for a journey. Back on topic anyone??

NYE from 20.00 and NYD until 8.00 would be at a higher premium than a normal BH.

As stated a €5 should get you as far as a €5, the implication is/was would a €5 get him home not "Sorry mate I've only a €5 can you take me as far as that will get me?" the very fact that if anyone offers me a €5 for a journey of indeterminate length would recieve a refusal anyway unless it was paid up front, too many runners happen that way.

Officialy the 1st 2 drivers were only obliged to take him "if" he stated take me as far as €5 will get me, they would not be obliged to sit there and work out how far that is (1.3Km give or take) that's why meters are in taxis, as to your variances in fares, again it's something you need to take up with the TRD instead of complaining to the next taxi driver or worse on here

watermark wrote: »
    so ya give the driver an extra €3 for listening to ya! now does that depend on the initial ****e + the duration of the ****e or the speed that it flies out ur mouth?

wud ya give him an extra few quid again if it was a bank holiday and u were full of €3 pints?

how much ****e can we listen to for a fiver?

Not very much because you'd be getting out after 1.3 Km or so

[/QUOTE] the very fact that if anyone offers me a €5 for a journey of indeterminate length would recieve a refusal anyway [/QUOTE]

if you let him in the taxi in the first place!

if i got in ur taxi, said nothing, waited until meter read about €5 and asked you to stop as all I had was €5, would you have a problem with that aswel spook?:rolleyes:

the very fact that if anyone offers me a €5 for a journey of indeterminate length would recieve a refusal anyway [/QUOTE]

if you let him in the taxi in the first place!

if i got in ur taxi, said nothing, waited until meter read about €5 and asked you to stop as all I had was €5, would you have a problem with that aswel spook?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Not realy, but then I wouldn't be taking you without a destination.....

Straight on bud...
    Where we going?
    Straight on bud!...
    Where we going?
    Straight on ...
    Get out, no destination, no going!

heres a little trick if you want to get one over on a taxi driver you dont like.

wait until hes near the end of the rank, say 6th.
    go to the 1st taxi and ask driver, will you bring me to johns park and il give you a blowjob.
    more then likely he will tell you to pis off,
    go to second taxi and offer the same, then 3rd, 4th and 5th,
    then when you get to yourman you hate, ask him to take you to johns park for a tenner,
    and watch the reaction of the other drivers when he except,:D

anyway, im giving up getting taxis for the new year.
    my avarage weekly taxi cost 25 yo yos, so that should save me 1,250 squid a year

anyway, im giving up getting taxis for the new year.
    my avarage weekly taxi cost 25 yo yos, so that should save me 1,250 squid a year
    Must be hard finding taxi drivers that accept yoyos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Must be hard finding taxi drivers that accept yoyos

And sea crustatians

And sea crustatians
    1250 squid is a lotta squid tbh

animated-gifs-yoyos-02.gif

yeah that would equate to about 25% of the cost of running a car based on under 1000cc/16000km a year over 8 years on 2009 pricing, so you'ld still be squids in taking a taxi :)

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Cost-of-motoring/Cost-of-Motoring-2009.aspx

yeah that would equate to about 25% of the cost of running a car based on under 1000cc/16000km a year over 8 years on 2009 pricing, so you'ld still be squids in taking a taxi :)

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Cost-of-motoring/Cost-of-Motoring-2009.aspx

im going to do all my travelling by foot this year, so thats a 100% saving

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

im going to do all my travelling by foot this year, so thats a 100% saving
    you'll need to invest in a good umbrella!:)

leduke wrote: »
    you'll need to invest in a good umbrella!:)

found one in the back of a taxi on stephens night ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

found one in the back of a taxi on stephens night ;)
    that was mine ya robbing bsatard lol

that was mine ya robbing bsatard lol

il sell it to ya for the price of a taxi:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement