Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cupcake's 30 Day Challenge

Options
  • 14-11-2011 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hello!:)

Challenge 1: 300k in 30 Days

I have a very simple goal - Run/Jog/(Walk if needs be) an average of 10k a day for 30 days! I'm relatively fit already but i'm very inconsistent! My aim is to be consistent, get a bit fitter and perhaps shed a couple of pounds pre christmas!

I'll also be doing a bit of strenght training on the side but that's not my focus.

Fingers crossed logging it will keep me accountable;)

DAY.........KM's Done.........KM's Remaining
    1.............. 11km...............289km (Today was a run @ 10.5km p.h. on treadmill)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭marathonic

Good luck on your goals. What distance has your furthest run been over the past few months? If it's not significantly higher than 10k, you may find out that you'll burn out pretty quickly.

I was going to talk about weather but I see you're doing it on the treadmill - you should consider getting outdoors on days when the weather's good (or even on set days - possibly the weekends).

Consistency is the key and, like you, I've been very inconsistent this year. I've made progress - just not at a pace that I'd like.

I'm going on a 3 week holiday this week and then the Xmas season is here. 2012 is going to be a big, consistent year for me though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cupcake.

Thanks Marathonic! Enjoy your hols! If this works out for me I'll be fitness logging away *consistently* with you in the New Year :)

My furthest distance of late has been 14k so you're absolutely right there's a chance i'll burn out. So far so good - if it gets tough I hope to just get the distance covered even if I end up walking/crawling the last couple of km's some days!!

1..............11km...............289km (Today was a run @ 10.5km p.h. on treadmill)
    1..............9.5km..............279.5km (Today was run 5k @11km p.h on tread + 4.5k outside)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭marathonic

Cupcake. wrote: »
    My furthest distance of late has been 14k so you're absolutely right there's a chance i'll burn out. So far so good - if it gets tough I hope to just get the distance covered even if I end up walking/crawling the last couple of km's some days!!

Yeah, there's no harm in continuing on until you encounter any problems. If you notice yourself drained of energy during your normal day, you could consider adding in rest days with longer runs the following days - maybe do 11k on standard days and a 16k day at the weekend (a nice 10 miler) :D

I see you're in Australia so you'll not have the snowy, icy weather problems that we're sure to have in the next few weeks. I've that killer journey ahead of me on Thursday (Dublin - Dubai - Sydney). That's all assumming the let me past Dubai after the free bar on the plane :D

Just in case you're interested in the maths, running burns around 110 calories per mile (walking burns a similar amount - just takes longer) and a pound of fat equates to 3500 calories.

This means that your 300k goal is (300 / 8 * 5) * 110 / 3500 = 5.9lbs of fat.

Obviously, you may be eating a little more than usual to sustain the running but, considering a 10k run is about 620 calories, don't overdo it. A lot of newbies to fitness go out for a 3 mile walk which takes about an hour and then, being so proud of themselves, eat a bar of chocolate without realising that they’ve just undone their hard work.

When I was in my ‘losing weight’ phase, I usually tried not to eat extra on a daily basis and save up those couple of hundred daily calories for a treat at the weekend. I think most people would enjoy a pizza once a week or fortnight more than a daily pack of crisps.

Marathonic - Thanks - great reminder!! you're so right, I've fallen into that trap before actually...doing lots of exercise, not losing weight and then realising it's because i've been eating like a two tonne warthog :o So i'm keeping an eye on my appetite!

Oooohh and thanks for doing out the maths for me, that's really quite motivational! I'll bear it in mind when i'm reaching for my post-run tim-tam!

The long flight will be worth it! The weather is unbelievable at the minute so you're coming at the right time. Ethiad are good to fly with so if you a pop a few sleeping pills you'll be laughing all the way to the beach :)

Well TODAY I felt just like Forest!:D ...wandered up to the park to do a 5km run around the lake and just kept on running and running....gonna feel it tomorrow i'm sure!!

1..............11km...............289km (Today was a run @ 10.5km p.h. on treadmill)
    2..............9.5km..............279.5km (Today was run 5k @11km p.h on tread + 4.5k outside)
    3..............17.5km.............262km (Today was an outside run 10k @aprox10kph + 7.5k @aprox8kph)

Feeling good but took it easier today to avoid burning out!!:)

Also tried upping my strength game by incorporating "surrender"s ...gosh i'm a weak a*s...2 was tough!:o

2..............9.5km..............279.5km (Today was run 5k @11km p.h on tread + 4.5k outside)
    3..............17.5km.............262km (Today was an outside run 10k @aprox10kph + 7.5k @aprox8kph)
    4................7.5km.............254.5km (Today was a run @ 10.5km p.h. on treadmill)

• Advertisement

Found it tough to get my bum to the gym today but feel fantastic after it...thank you endorphins:D!! 6k ahead of schedule which is nice as a buffer.

4................7.5km.............254.5km (Today was a run @ 10.5km p.h. on treadmill)
    5................10.5km.............244km (Today was a run @ 10.5km p.h. on treadmill)

Advertisement