Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby swimming

Options
  • 14-11-2011 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    my little boy is 5months old and i would love to take him swimming to the local pool. Just a few questions though ; is he too young to be in a swimming pool at 5 months, would the water be warm enough and would the amount of chlorine and other water treatments be safe for a baby his age? Is a swimming nappy and trunks enough for him to wear, should he have a swimming cap or arm bands/swimming ring? If there is Any thing esle you think i need to know, please feel free to fill me in!
    Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've been aking mini HM since just after the two month jabs. Some suggestions

- check with your local pool. some like them to have their 6 month jabs before you take them, some are happy after the first set. As I understand it, the main "concern" (if you can even call it that) is polio which isn't exactly common. The NHS have no advice saying to wait until a particular time but I have seen some HSE stuff saying 6 months

- temperature: the pol should be able to tell you the temperature of the water. Some pools have a seperate baby pool and this will generally be warmer. When we started we only went in for 10 minutes but now do 30 minutes and it's fine. Keep most of baby's body in the water as it's actually the cool air that lets them get cold

- chlorine: I take the baby into the shower with me after getting out to get the chlorne off, I also use a moisturising cream after a swim and no problems so far

- ears: babies ears are not as developed so if he/she gets water in them, make sure to empty it out by tilting them on the side

-equipement: I would avoid arms bands etc and get baby used to the feel of water and learn about safety without artifical props. Maybe some toys to make it interesting though

-consider a class: many pools run parent and baby classes, these are a great way to learn about water safety with baby, meet other parents and get aby used to "swimming" in a safe environment. Many pools run them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Hi Qwertytlk. I've been bringing my daughter on and off since she was about 3 months. If there is a therapy pool near you see if they have public swims. They are generally bath temperature. If not you could get a wetsuit type swimsuit. We put her in one with 2 swim nappies and she's always toasty even if the pool is cold.

I agree with hunnymonster about arm bands or rings. If you hold him he'll sort of bob along in the water. I'd also agree about a class. We went to one in our local pool and it was great to have an idea of what to do with her in the pool rather than just hold her.

Make sure to change him just before getting in the pool and as soon as you get out. I bring a towelling dressing gown with a hood for me so I don't drip water all over her. The first time went she was soaked by the time she was dressed from all the water coming off my hair.

Also bring your buggy or at least the car seat into the changing area so you've somewhere to put him when you're getting dressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

I got a card at a baby market yesterday for baby swimming. The website is www.aquababies.ie, seems a bit dear but might be something you'd like to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have been bring our daughter swimming since about 3 1/2 months. She is 8 months now and loves it. We did start a class in cork but cancelled it because it was really cold, and they wanted us to get armband and rings. I didnt want to use those at this young age.

We bring her to the lavanagh center now in cork, which is a lovely temperature and good facilitied for changing. Leisureworld in cork had the worst facilities for newborns... Changing table is in a drafty hallway, not in a family changing room. No place to put a baby when you get changed yourself, i ended up puttin a coat on over my swimsuit!

The oriel and fota facilites were good, but required membership.

Baby always sleeps so well after a swim!
    10 minutes is plenty at the start, she can do up to 45 mins now.

I just use swim nappy, and dont bother with a suit, babies are slippery when wet, it is tricky to get them in and out of an elasticated suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I got one of those baby wetsuit things. The one I got opens flat so you just open it out, lie baby on top of it, and then it velcros between the legs, along the sides and above the shoulders. That makes it much easier to get them out of it as well then.
    We brought our little one swimming around 5 or 6 months and she loved it and have meant to go back every week since but something always comes up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I use the same type of suit as sillysocks. They don't seem to be available in the shops at the moment, need a bigger one, but they have them on the aquababies website and the waterbabies website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

There are quite a few on eBay as well if you search for Baby Wetsuit.
    This listing seems great value. No point spending a lot on it as the baby will be growing so fast! If your baby is 5 months old you'd be as well to get one for 6-9/6-12 months rather than a 3-6 month one. The one we had was too big by a month or two but it was still fine and lasted much longer then.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TWF-Baby-Toddler-Wrap-Wetsuit-0-24-Months-3-Colours-/190369116029?pt=Boy_s_Clothing&var=&hash=item72165a5471#ht_1624wt_1344

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I got a card at a baby market yesterday for baby swimming. The website is www.aquababies.ie, seems a bit dear but might be something you'd like to do

Did it mention the cost of the classes? I can't see it mentioned on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

Toots* wrote: »
    Did it mention the cost of the classes? I can't see it mentioned on the site.

When the woman gave me the card she said that it was 95euro for 5 lessons I think. She said that if you booked two groups of lessons that you could get it for 170. I think that they supply wetsuits for babies and do the lessons in heated pools.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bashful

I do swimming lessons with my daughter with waterbabies.
    I started when she was 4 months she is 18 months and loves it.
    She goes under the water no problem and I get to go under with her and see her swim. You can also get her photo taken under the water which I highly recommend I was so happy with mine.
    They have a website with all the information. It is a bit expensive but well worth it I love going with my daughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

pwurple wrote: »

We bring her to the lavanagh center now in cork, which is a lovely temperature and good facilitied for changing. Leisureworld in cork had the worst facilities for newborns... Changing table is in a drafty hallway, not in a family changing room. No place to put a baby when you get changed yourself, i ended up puttin a coat on over my swimsuit!

Hi Pwurple, can I ask is the Lavanagh centre open to everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

For the Lavanagh center you need to be a member of a group as it is a private pool. We joined the Cuidiu Cork group for access. It was 25 euro membership for the year, and then 4.50 per swim per person.

There are posters stuck on the wall in there advertising other groups as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I like to know how much for a day for three kids

Advertisement