Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student seeking accommodation on 9 month recurrent leases

Options
  • 13-11-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, im looking at renting next year. I have found some nice places that Id like. The common trend is them all being 12 month leases. Im a student so I will only be there for 9 months. Would it be possible to get them down to 9 months in your experiences? I was thinking that I would move back come September for another 9 months and so on for about 6 years. So theres plenty of money to be made from me. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Moved- to its own thread from the FAQ thread.
    No sarcastic comments about 9 month leases or renting to a student please.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You are looking for somebody to give you a real on a years rent in return for making it available 3 months a year.

You will either need to pay a little over the odds, or find a place that'll be easy (and possible) for you to sublet during the summer, or get really lucky.

• Administrators Posts: 53,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Never in my experience.

The only students I know that are able to get these sort of leases are ones who go to University's in holiday areas (such as the north coast and the University of Ulster up there), where the landlords will rent to students during term time and then rent them out as holiday homes during the summer.

As far as I know things like UPC require an initial 12 month contract too, you will have to take that into account. I am not sure about other service/utility providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

UPC are actually providing a 9 month contract specifically for students.
    the only internet/phone company who do 9 months, all others are 12

• Administrators Posts: 53,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jagle wrote: »
    UPC are actually providing a 9 month contract specifically for students.
    the only internet/phone company who do 9 months, all others are 12
    That's handy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

yep it is, but amazing they are the only one doing it

time for the rest to wake the fcuk up i believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

I got one last year, but only because the place was kind of a dive and the LL was desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think Eircom do a one month rolling contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 flatjab

Why don't you look for a place that is purposely built for students? They take any type of lease (to suit students) and you can move back there when College starts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

flatjab wrote: »
    Why don't you look for a place that is purposely built for students? They take any type of lease (to suit students) and you can move back there when College starts again.

Few reason but main ones are, ill be living with the gf, and I need to get somewhere midway for the two of us. We start coming away form all the student accom then.

Second, Im not interested living around other students, not to go stereotyping them all, but with the hassle going on in the rented houses in Waterford. Seems like something I should stay away from

Lastly, It would be nice top have the same place for the few years that you like and don't have to worry about getting somewhere new each year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Doylers wrote: »
    Hi guys, im looking at renting next year. I have found some nice places that Id like. The common trend is them all being 12 month leases. Im a student so I will only be there for 9 months. Would it be possible to get them down to 9 months in your experiences? I was thinking that I would move back come September for another 9 months and so on for about 6 years. So theres plenty of money to be made from me. Any ideas?

When I was in University in Cork years ago, used to work in the Accomodation Office as student help. All the student accomodation centres work on that basis. Most private landlords as well. Not sure about rest of country but contact the Accomadation office in the University.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Sounds like your best option would be to go for a normal 12 months lease, with being allowed to find a sub-tenant for the three months you won't be there in the summer. Another thing to consider: how sure are you you won't be there in the summer? You might find a part-time job in the area, and build a social life there that means you'll stay anyway

Advertisement