Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Case Study 1st Year... Need Help!!!!!!

Options
  • 14-11-2011 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Just wondering is anyone else seriously struggling with the case study??
    Parts of it I haven't a clue how to attempt them and I feel like theres no-one I can ask at this stage!!
    It also doesn't help that i don't know a single person in the actual Accounting lecture :( so wondering does anyone in a similar situation want to arrange a meet up this week? *Fingers crossed* :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Heneghan?

There's a thread like this every year without exception.
    If you're having trouble and you didn't do accounting for the leaving cert and you don't know anyone then you should be availing of the excel classes and you should do the project through excel.

I'm guessing at this point though it's a bit late to do it that way if you haven't already been.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Skill

Ask whoever is teaching your tutorials about the peer supported learning for accounting

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

Sorry to hear that things aren't going so well for you chicgroovy.

As it so happened I had this exact conversation with a few friends I visited in UL during my mid-term break !

Polar Ice pointed out there's a thread like this every year. Heneghan sets tough exams/assignments and is called 'The Sheriff' for good reason :rolleyes:

Last year I was starting out as a 1st year student in Business & French in UL and I found myself in your situation. I didn't do accounting in the Leaving Certificate and didn't understand much of what was going on in lectures. I was a bit overwhelmed by the whole college experience, my French was very rusty and the case study literally was like Chinese to me :(

I felt like I didn't know anyone in the class that could sit down and help me with my difficulties. It was even hard to think of some lecturer/tutorial teacher that could possibly help me.

Here's my advice :

- Don't despair, give up on the project and/or stop going to lectures. Under pressure I made this mistake. In hindsight it was a very bad choice.

- Make full use of the accounting peer support group. They know their stuff and are happy to help. 1 or 2 hours a week might not be a lot but it would help you iron out a lot of those problems.

- Also, as Polar Ice suggested you should go to the Excel classes (if you haven't been already) and definitely do the project through Excel. If you aren't sure of yourself with accounting it's definitely the best way.

- Don't rely much on your textbook if you have it. It's not very helpful and I wasted hours searching through it for answers (and it's pretty damn long :p)

I don't mean to be depressing or anything but it is going to be a bit of an uphill battle ! If you're determined enough though you might get a reasonable grade. If worst comes to worst and you fail, at least mangerial accounting next semester will be far more theoretical. You can always study hard, get good support and do well in the repeats.

While the year didn't end well for me I gained plenty of experience from the whole thing.

Studying in IT Tralee now and accounting's a breeze !

Just did my mid-term exam there and got 95% in it :D

A lot of things will be difficult to understand and just have to be learned off. It's not ideal when you don't truly understand something but trust me, it's the best way for the moment. For a good share of people things don't really click into place until 2nd year.

So yeah, it's can be very stressful and painful trying to get your head around it but it can be done :)

If you need any help just PM me !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I did this last year and when I started I honestly had noo idea what to do. Just tkae it esay, section by section and it will start to come together, when you complete one section the next will start to come easier to you.
    The nominal ledgers at hte start are really just about putting each transaction in the right place, if you,ve been going to lectures you should be ok at that. I found that when I had them done the hardest part was over.
    Best advice I can give is reall whats already been said, go to lectures, tutorials and PSLG although its a bit late for that now.I was able to get advice from a friend in 2nd yr at the time which i found a great help, so maybe try that. And finally, do it in excel, its alot more work but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

Yes, I have Heneghan!

Thanks for all the advice guys! Unfortunately I didn't do it through excel but I did go to a few of the PSLG's which are finished now - while I'm still struggling along! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

If ur in plassey I can give you a hand for an hour I did this 2 years ago and I am fairly good with accounting.

I'm in Thomand....

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Hey!

I wish I saw this sooner, I would've been able to help you through the whole thing, im also in that lecture (well the exam was today) so if you need any help with the accounting next semester then let me know and Ill do my best to help you!

Hey!

I wish I saw this sooner, I would've been able to help you through the whole thing, im also in that lecture (well the exam was today) so if you need any help with the accounting next semester then let me know and Ill do my best to help you!

Thanks! :D
    How did you find the exam?

Thanks! :D
    How did you find the exam?

It wasn't too bad now, how was it for you? Are you studying Business or another course?

• Advertisement

It wasn't too bad now, how was it for you? Are you studying Business or another course?

Studying Law and Accounting, so I really should be good at Accounting :o But unfortunately I'm not!
    Though the exam was ok considering, think I could have done alot worse!!
    Whats your course?

Studying Law and Accounting, so I really should be good at Accounting :o But unfortunately I'm not!
    Though the exam was ok considering, think I could have done alot worse!!
    Whats your course?

Business and Japanese, i think we will have the same accounting module next semester. We can always study for that

Advertisement