Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Drinking Problem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shattered Dreamer

From what I can tell Irish people are nervous, why do you think we drink so much?

Because we want too simple as! Stop looking for reasons where there are none

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ireland's Drinking Problem
    The reason imo Irish people drink so much is due higher levels of nervousness amongst Irish people.

Completely anecdotal from my own experiences, can't show you any proof.
    If you like I can change the title to "My drinking problem" to reflect this? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

From what I can tell Irish people are nervous, why do you think we drink so much?

I don't think Irish people are any more or less nervous than other nationalities.

That's not to say people don't drink to settle their nerves - there are probably many who do - I just doubt if it is in any way statistically significant when compared to other nations.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Irish people can turn into sarcastic cnuts when in packs.. drunk packs at that.. who wants to sit sober in such a situation?

I can sort of see where the OP is going with this.

Sort of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Because we want too simple as! Stop looking for reasons where there are none

and why do we want to? People do what feels good, people's emotions drive people to do what they do. People drink more here because it drink has more value to people than where people drink less. It has more value here because when sober we don't feel as good as in other countries where they drink less.

• Advertisement

xzanti wrote: »
    Irish people can turn into sarcastic cnuts when in packs.. drunk packs at that.. who wants to sit sober in such a situation?

I can sort of see where the OP is going with this.

Sort of.

If the OP feels that way then he/she or anybody should just go not hang out with drunk people & stop being a judgemental racist lol

and why do we want to? People do what feels good, people's emotions drive people to do what they do. People drink more here because it drink has more value to people than where people drink less. It has more value here because when sober we don't feel as good as in other countries where they drink less.

Seriously dude I think YOU need a drink! It might loosen up that knot you have in your jocks!

It's obvious you drink to claim your nerves so stop projecting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Another factor is, going on a session is so much f*cking fun!!

Man I tell ya, i've had some of my most fun times when I go to a party in my mate's gaff or have one in mine, loads of drink, loads of music, loads of fun! THen off out to a club or whatever.

No nervousness here, just the desire to have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The government seems to think taxes are the solution to reduce the excess drinking.

They really don't think that at all they are just afraid to address the real areas where public money is haemorrhaging out of the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

I don't think it's nerves I think it's due to custom or tradition but I do think the Irish are emotionally underdeveloped as a result of the eh..tradition. And tbf they would be terribly boring and would probably have nothing to talk about without it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

MrStuffins wrote: »

Man I tell ya, i've had some of my most fun times when I go to a party in my mate's gaff or have one in mine, loads of drink, loads of music, loads of fun! THen off out to a club or whatever.

Of course people will still drink for fun but it would be hugely reduced if people were completely relaxed when sober.

• Advertisement

Kanoe wrote: »
    I don't think it's nerves I think it's due to custom or tradition but I do think the Irish are emotionally underdeveloped as a result of the eh..tradition. And tbf they would be terribly boring and would probably have nothing to talk about without it.

The Irish are "emotionally underdeveloped" due to years of blind devotion to the Catholic church, but that's a topic for a whole other thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

We should be teaching our young people that drink isn't the answer.

Valium works better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

The Irish are "emotionally underdeveloped" due to years of blind devotion to the Catholic church, but that's a topic for a whole other thread!
    I dunno I'd say it's fairly relative. The church, and drink and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

By Irish you mean those born prior to 1970 though :pac:

foxyboxer wrote: »
    By Irish you mean those born prior to 1970 though :pac:

lol I suppose I do! But you'll have to admit the auld "Catholic guilt" is genetically Irish at this stage.

Kanoe wrote: »
    I dunno I'd say it's fairly relative. The church, and drink and all.

And can you blame them for being nervous? Apparently there s a man in the sky watching them all day every day. A man who sent his son to earth to die so he could come back as a zombie.

And one day he's gonna send this Zombie son of his back to earth to decide who's getting to heaven and who's getting a Dawn of the Dead style chewing!

Jaysus, where's me brandy!

So we Irish are nervous because we fear the wrath of Zombie Jesus? You're the first person who's made sense in this entire thread :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

It certainly was in my teens & 20s. Doesn't feel like so much fun later on, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

The only thing that Irish people drink too much of is tea and coffee

old hippy wrote: »
    It certainly was in my teens & 20s. Doesn't feel like so much fun later on, though.

Well until recently i was living abroad and going on session after session, was awesome.

But now i'm back I never really drink. I only drink when i'm out with my mates and stuff. But i can't, for example, sit at home with a few cans while the football is on. That kinda drinking has no interest for me. I'd be happier with a glass of Coca-Cola or something! (But not Pepsi, i'm not a peasant)

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »

I have to say since my 21st a couple of years ago my hangovers nowadays are horrific whether I drink a little or a lot. But I have to say I drink alot less nowadays.

kieranfitz wrote: »
    The only thing that Irish people drink too much of is tea and coffee

Yes 1000%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I have to say since my 21st a couple of years ago my hangovers nowadays are horrific whether I drink a little or a lot. But I have to say I drink alot less nowadays.

Good for you. I can barely remember my 21st - long time gone & much drink on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think most people cut down on their drinking as they get older. I haven't had a drink in 2 months now, a thought that would have been incomprehensible to a 25 year old me. Alcohol is a toxin, you won't be able to go on binges forever, it catches up to you and when it does the appeal of alcohol goes out the window completely.

I can still do the drunken binge I just know for a fact I'll suffer for it over the next few days so I don't bother any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Source?

His arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

leggo wrote: »
    Go out in Ireland's major cities on any given night and compare it to other major European cities (not tourist ones filled with Irish and British people) and you'll see that we do have a much bigger culture of drink than many other places.

This simply isn't true.

Yeah cus go out any night in Paris, Munich, Milan etc and you'll see women puking on every street corner, lads beating the ****e out of each other over some crackhead looking young wan and Abra Kebabra becoming a more hazardous working environment than Libya or Iraq.

Don't even get me started about the trauma suffered due to my experience on the French late night bus service, 'Le Nitelink'.

But no, we're grand, sure it's all a bitta craic isn't it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

stovelid wrote: »
    His arse.

His bum-bum!?

The nervous twitch of the sphincter in social situations. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The only problem with drink in Ireland is that it's so fuckin expensive.

Yeah cus go out any night in Paris, Munich, Milan etc and you'll see women puking on every street corner, lads beating the ****e out of each other over some crackhead looking young wan and Abra Kebabra becoming a more hazardous working environment than Libya or Iraq.

Don't even get me started about the trauma suffered due to my experience on the French late night bus service, 'Le Nitelink'.

Lad, you're talkin sh*te!

People over-drink in Paris, Munich and Milan.

People vomit after drinking too much in Paris, Munich and Milan.

Violence happens in Paris, Munich and Milan.

I've lived in mainland Europe, i've seen and experienced it.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think most people cut down on their drinking as they get older. I haven't had a drink in 2 months now, a thought that would have been incomprehensible to a 25 year old me. Alcohol is a toxin, you won't be able to go on binges forever, it catches up to you and when it does the appeal of alcohol goes out the window completely.

I can still do the drunken binge I just know for a fact I'll suffer for it over the next few days so I don't bother any more.

Well if you dont drink for 2 months and then go out you will be sick as a dog. If your out on a session twice per week every week the hangovers are never as bad, but miss one week without having a good drink and the next big session the hangover is always much worse.

Your kidding yourself if you think Europeans don't go out and have a good big session, I have drank sink fulls on many occasions with people from different European countries, some I drink with every week.

Also regardless of how much is drank in any Irish city they are much safer than Paris or Milan at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I blame the english

Advertisement