Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ICF roof v normal timber roof

• 14-11-2011 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

does anyone know anything about this? need to make a decision this week reagarding what roof to put on regular block build. ICF roof is about 10k more expensive. is it worth it??? can you achieve the same effctiveness by spending a bit extra for good insulation. attic space is for storage only. Replys would be greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

yrrekhsam wrote: »
    does anyone know anything about this? need to make a decision this week reagarding what roof to put on regular block build. ICF roof is about 10k more expensive. is it worth it??? can you achieve the same effctiveness by spending a bit extra for good insulation. attic space is for storage only. Replys would be greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

I have never done an ICF A roof but one concern would be the ability of the walls to take the weight unless the wall design has taken that into consideration.

Are the walls built?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The name ICF roof is very misleading. I'm sure you mean a reinforced polystyrene roof system as is used on the ICF walled builds.

I am involved in the construction of a couple of houses at the moment using these systems. They work best with ICF walls but can be put on normal concrete blockwork walls as well. They usually come in 1.2m wide sheets up to about 12m in length and about 300mm thick in polystyrene type insulation. They have metal purlins set inside the polystyrene. to sit on whatever carcass is designed to support them (this part is all done with your supervising architect/engineer and the factory making the roof panels).

The enormous advantage is that of airtightness and no huge amount of supporting carcassing timberwork. Ventilation will become very important in houses having these roofs and these work best with the simplest forms and shapes of roof. The biggest drawback seems to be the labour intensity cutting around dormers, at valleys and hips, etc.

Before making up your mind go see one being put up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yrrekhsam

Carlow52 wrote: »

I have never done an ICF A roof but one concern would be the ability of the walls to take the weight unless the wall design has taken that into consideration.

Are the walls built?
    Ya walls are built they are just the regular cavity block. Don't know I'd that will support roof??

What dimensions are the cavity wall and how is it finished to take the wall plate?

u need to address the ? asked by PUT: what type of ICF roof have u in mind?

Have u an engineer/arch/arch tech/etc help[ing u with this project?

The simple issue here is that if the roof u have in mind has no collars to take the horizontal component of the roof weight then the 'wall plate' will have to do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 yrrekhsam

Carlow52 wrote: »
    What dimensions are the cavity wall and how is it finished to take the wall plate?

u need to address the ? asked by PUT: what type of ICF roof have u in mind?

The simple issue here is that if the roof u have in mind has no collars to take the horizontal component of the roof weight then the 'wall plate' will have to do the job.

The block is a regular 6inch block, house size is 2500sq.ft. The roof is polystyrene slabs with steel inside. Eliminating the need for timber beams etc giving total attic space. Is its biggest sellin point it's airtightness but when ur not using it as a living space is it worth the cost. They can't seem to be able to site where u will recoup your 10k in fuel costs or efficiency , or say that other forms of insulation cant do the same job etc??

• Advertisement

so what's the floor in attic: will this tie the 2 wall plates together?

I just noticed u say regular cavity block.

I assumed a cavity wall so
    The block is a regular 6inch block
    has me confused.

I will ask this again:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ya walls are built they are just the regular cavity block. Don't know I'd that will support roof??

This is a structural decision. nor is it lego.
    You can't just throw on a different roof without structural design input.
    Talk to your construction professional, or get one if you don't have one.

Advertisement