Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamer parent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Just putting it out there - my bean bag that I plonk right in front of my gaming TV has recently gotten very loose. I dont know if its the material or the beans....can I buy extra beans anywhere or does anyone have any good substitute?
    IF its a Buddha bag I think the innards are covered with a lifetime guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

penev10 wrote: »
    IF its a Buddha bag I think the innards are covered with a lifetime guarantee.

Nah - It aint a Buddha bag, the bag itself is leather so that is probably why it is stretching....my arse is on the floor when I sit on it....unless I nearly double it over on itself!

Plus I've a tendancy to have a bad back every now and again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Early 40's myself and a pretty avid gamer with a missus, 2 kids, dog and plenty of DIY projects and gardening thrown in for good measure. Xbox 360 and a half-decent gaming PC in place (in case the family are hogging the plasma screen ;)).

Bit hard to squeeze everything in sometimes but variety is the spice of life as they say. My wife is very understanding and she recognizes that gaming is just another modern form of entertainment and a way of relaxing in the evenings, just like playing snooker, darts or golf used to be (a lot cheaper too plus no danger of extended visits to the pub). Also the added benefit of having me ensconced in the next room while she catches up with her recorded Corrie and About The House episodes.

I reckon I will be playing games well into my old age, it is about time society recognized that gaming is a valid pastime for all age groups and not just kids. Interactive entertainment is where it's at compared to passive TV and movie watching in order to keep your brain and reflexes fit and able too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Just putting it out there - my bean bag that I plonk right in front of my gaming TV has recently gotten very loose. I dont know if its the material or the beans....can I buy extra beans anywhere or does anyone have any good substitute?

You can buy extra polystyrene beads from the folks who supply bean bags e.g. Futon Store in Galway, the beads get compressed after a while and need replacing. Or you might get onto a local insulation provider who uses similar beads to fill in wall cavities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Appreciating a good game is time not wasted for me unlike watching **** like Corrie or X-Factor.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,100 ✭✭✭✭beertons

At the moment, I lft mrs beery go to bed around 9, and have him sleep on the chair about 8 feet away from me. I can't use the headset, and the volume isn't up very high on the telly either, but I can play till 12 till he wakes up. Give him a feed, change, and bring him upstairs to the cot. Then grab another hour, with the headset on this time. When ever you can fit it in, and you're not disturbing anything, go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nah - It aint a Buddha bag, the bag itself is leather so that is probably why it is stretching....my arse is on the floor when I sit on it....unless I nearly double it over on itself!

I have probably the same bag for gaming, and too had to replace the beans in it. You can get a replacement load of beans from elephantbrand.ie. There's only one "Top-Up" pack and it's fooking mahoosive! I've topped mine up twice and there's still a good 75% of the pack left. Not bad for €40 delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Sharrow wrote: »
    Being a gamer parent is wonderful, esp when your kids get to the stage were they want to you play with them

that for me is one of the best things as parent who has a hobby that the kids wanna get involved with.

weather's crap??nazi zombies watch out,me and my son will clean up.

I dont live with my son but thanks to broadband we can always fit in a game of fifa or Call of Duty.

and yes his mother and myself use gaming as a way of getting him to do homework or house chores.And as a way of punishment if he acts the maggot:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Does anyone else get the same vibe from their wives\girlfriends\partners

well i just got MW3 and the better half is getting me skyrim next week for my birthday so I guess I wont see her till after xmas.

on the plus side it will mean our relationship will last a bit longer:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Early 40s, playing games since I was able to, nipper is 16 and has gone off games at the moment, watches me now and then and the missus watches me play periodically. It's part of who I am and makes me happy (unless I rage quit) ...

Games are great these days and delighted to be able to play them... Just not as good anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Abi wrote: »
    Spoof or not, she's clearly soft in the head!
    Someone who regularly watches depressing soaps about depressing people must be also "soft in the head" :P
    more social.
    Most of the nights that I game online, I'll be playing with 3 to 10 other lads from TiG. Get your hubbie into a clan, tbh :D And a few of them are gamer daddies, some even have their kids playing BF3 as well :D
    You need to get yourself a proper gaming chair with good back support, or you'll be confined to a very uncomfortable chair in no time! Maybe get one of these: http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/S39825227/ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hi OP, 24yr old here with a 7yr old, a 1.5yr old and a 1.5month old in the house and I can say my gaming habits have been hugely affected. there was a time when I could have played for hours and hours, now it's more like 4-5 hours a week. Like mentioned earlier, I constantly worry about there being something else I should be doing but I still pick up random games here and there. In fact I spent the summer picking up 8 retro consoles and about 150 games to go with them :D and I've sank maybe 10 hours into them since July. not out of choice but because have 3 kids will do that to your schedule.

But the 7yr old is getting old enough to play games with now, and i'm really looking forward to that. especially when I can stop letting him win ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hi OP, 24yr old here with a 7yr old, a 1.5yr old and a 1.5month old in the house and I can say my gaming habits have been hugely affected. there was a time when I could have played for hours and hours, now it's more like 4-5 hours a week. Like mentioned earlier, I constantly worry about there being something else I should be doing but I still pick up random games here and there. In fact I spent the summer picking up 8 retro consoles and about 150 games to go with them :D and I've sank maybe 10 hours into them since July. not out of choice but because have 3 kids will do that to your schedule.

But the 7yr old is getting old enough to play games with now, and i'm really looking forward to that. especially when I can stop letting him win ;)

I completely agree - there always seems to be something in the back of my mind that could be done....which I suppose just shows that we are responsible dads, but dads need to have time to unwind also..

I think I'll go for a few games of Pro Evo tonight...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Cool gaming + kid related story was someone once telling me when their son was going to school once he asked his da for his +2 jacket. How cool :D Actually tis the son of a mod on boards now I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So the vibe i'm getting here is that once you have kids, regardless if you are a hardcore gamer, you will get little to no time (that's less than 10 hours a week to me!) to game???

Fook kids in that case, i'm never having them!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

My girlfriend and I are young enough so it's normal for her. I do often mention that there's a misconception that games are for kids. That's what the older generation think but then they realise that the kids playing games back in the 80's have grown up and are making the games now so you see games with more adult content.

Games are like interactive T.V. It involves you and people need to understand that, which I think people are starting to. Games can be like interactive films.

T.V. is great relax more, games are brilliant if you 'ever wanted to control the actions' in a film.

So, if you speak to someone who doesn't get it, I'll use the film thing.

It's great to see older gamers. I hope to still be gaming as an adult. I wanna see what GTA 10 will look like :D

Steal a Zimmer Frame ftw!

Advertisement