Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having lots of 4S problems?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SpiceWeasel

If you want to improve battery life on the 4S try killing background apps. I noticed a drop in standby time since the 5.0.1 upgrade. Most apps you run get 'backgrounded' when exiting and still can have threads running so killing them will improve battery life. To see running background apps double tap the Home button and the list appears at the bottom, then scroll left to see all those little running background apps.

To kill them press and hold an app and they will start to 'wobble' with a little red alert, just touch the alert to take it off the list. Similar process to deleting an app only this will stop it running in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

If you want to improve battery life on the 4S try killing background apps. I noticed a drop in standby time since the 5.0.1 upgrade. Most apps you run get 'backgrounded' when exiting and still can have threads running so killing them will improve battery life. To see running background apps double tap the Home button and the list appears at the bottom, then scroll left to see all those little running background apps.

To kill them press and hold an app and they will start to 'wobble' with a little red alert, just touch the alert to take it off the list. Similar process to deleting an app only this will stop it running in the background.

This is not entirely true. Only some functions will actually run in the background, so just because an app shows up in the multitask bar, it doesn't mean it is doing anything. Navigation, Music and some tasks where the app needs to finish something will run in the background. Most apps don't have any background processing. The only resources being used is whatever it takes to store the apps open state in memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Got 4s on Friday last. When I put a call on speakerphone the mic turns off and the person i am speaking with cant hear me....

Going back to store today....Freaked out!!

Other than that phone is all good...Siri is disappointing - its just the same as the old speak and command service on 3gs. the speed is the most notable improvement...lightening quick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

potsy11 wrote: »
    Got 4s on Friday last. When I put a call on speakerphone the mic turns off and the person i am speaking with cant hear me....

Other than that phone is all good...Siri is disappointing - its just the same as the old speak and command service on 3gs. the speed is the most notable improvement...lightening quick.

That's the exact problem my fiancee is having. Mine has started doing the double text tone now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

That's because you didn't activate Siri.

Settings-->General-->Siri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

mad muffin wrote: »
    That's because you didn't activate Siri.

Settings-->General-->Siri

Nope....Siri is activated and works fine.....Voice memo app works fine...just the speakerphone mic cuts off for some reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Nope....Siri is activated and works fine.....Voice memo app works fine...just the speakerphone mic cuts off for some reason....

You said Siri is the same as the speak function on te 3GS, which it definitely is not.

Well I spoke too soon about having zero problems. Last night I was using the phone one minute and set it down for a secon, picket it up again to see the time by pressing the home button. Nothing, black screen, pressed the sleep/awake button and the same.

I thought maybe the battery was dead set it to charge overnight. Just had a look now and the phone was still dead.

Decided to try a reboot by pressing the two buttons and the Apple logo came up and then the phone was back. If it does it again I guess I'll be contacting Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,562 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

only issue i'm having is i can't stop using siri for stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Posted this on another thread. iPhone4S with Meteor....
    Their customer care is woeful...really woeful. You cannot get through. The only way is via Twitter and the only reason you'll get a response is because it's public and they have to be seen to respond.

I got the 4S and there are big issues with this phone. Dropped connections to the network, even when showing 4 bars or more, calls can't get through or texts sent. It will drop, then start searching and hook up. Then after a while drop again. This is not a meteor issue though, it seems to be affecting users around the world. Yet another antenna/baseband issue. Some users have said that by changing to the 128k micro sim card, this fixes the issue. The Meteor guy in the store I talked to a few days ago was gormless and didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Started to BS me about the issue being the phone hooking up to 3G and dropping it and update the iOS etc....

Even with the iOS update the battery life is still disappointing, And that's with iCloud off, location services off, even mobile data off. But whats the point in having a smart phone like this if you have to turn everything off?

Watch out for suspicious looking text messages on your bill sent to a UK number and for which you will be charged. Apparently, this is a text message Apple sends silently to activate Facetime! Every time you mess around or do a reset this silent text is sent! Ridiculous.

Meteor and Apple have not been a great combo here at all!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Rob C wrote: »
    Posted this on another thread. iPhone4S with Meteor....

A note pops up to tell you about the Facetime SMS's so shouldn't be that big a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

I cant text on my 4s unless I turn the sim pin off - its fien when i leave it off.
    Should i just live with it or return?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rustydrog

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75504662

Started the thread above yesterday having missed this larger one. (Merge?) My phone refuses to send texts, I called apple and got given the usual reset everything spiel. When I did that and tried to power the phone back on it now wont unlock the sim, its been sitting on my desk beside me now for the last 30 minutes essentially bricked as it tries to unlock. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

You can cancel the unlocking but this will just give you an iPod. Same thing was happening with me. Apple have changed the phone now. Once you do get it unlocked once make sure you turn it off Settings-Phone-Sim Lock.

zenit wrote: »
    You can cancel the unlocking but this will just give you an iPod. Same thing was happening with me. Apple have changed the phone now. Once you do get it unlocked once make sure you turn it off Settings-Phone-Sim Lock.

Yeah just managed it there, curious to see if the texting issue still persists with the sim lock off. Will report back.

Still happening, not that it's too much of a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

has anyone tried doing the OTA update to 5.0.1 to see if it solves the problems?

or would that be stating the obvious?

has anyone tried doing the OTA update to 5.0.1 to see if it solves the problems?

or would that be stating the obvious?

5.0.1 made no difference to my signal issues. Testing the network reset and full reset now. Not making a huge difference
    Next step, new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

Ya I tried that but it didn't work. Apple know there is a problem and are fast enough to exchange. New phone seems to be fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

No problems for me, have the 4S since Monday fully updated, battery seems same as my previous 4.

One thing I have noticed the back of the phone gets very hot, anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

The only problem i have is that when Im going to bed at night my battery is still on 60% from 8am that morning so Im wondering whether I should charge or not...tough decision :)

• Advertisement

Just said it on another thread, I bit the bullet and called Apple this afternoon, patiently went thought everything and the girl in Apple then transferred me to senior engineer, very nice guy who gave me his work email address in case I had more questions etc. They are taking my phone away for repair/replacement next week.

I said to him I was willing to wait until the next update if this was going to fix it and he said, the last update was supposed to have addressed this! And there won't be an update for another 2 months or thereabouts....Though he can't obviously be certain on this.

I decided not to go via Meteor as I think they're clueless, the guy in the Meteor store I went into on Monday did not have a clue and I'm being generous at that. I'd rather deal with Apple directly.

If there are boardies out there with this issue, call Apple and be nice and patient. They'll look after you.

My replacement is on it's way from Apple :)

Hopefully I will have a useable iPhone when out in 3G land after this.

AlanD wrote: »
    My replacement is on it's way from Apple :)

Hopefully I will have a useable iPhone when out in 3G land after this.

Keep us updated dude, so far everyone who has gotten replacement phones has not had this issue! Something funny with this, a huge batch maybe from China with a below par antenna or something...But fair play to Apple, they are good at this customer service lark.

Rob C wrote: »
    Keep us updated dude, so far everyone who has gotten replacement phones has not had this issue! Something funny with this, a huge batch maybe from China with a below par antenna or something...But fair play to Apple, they are good at this customer service lark.

Will do.

Just had to try some of their recommended settings resets and a full phone reset for a few days. Made no difference. I could be standing under a meteor tower, with full 3G and it would disappear and go to No Network. Or I'd have a signal and data would stop working.

Apple have been very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Will do.

I could be standing under a meteor tower, with full 3G and it would disappear and go to No Network. Or I'd have a signal and data would stop working.

Apple have been very helpful.

Mine has been like that over the last 3 days. I rang Apple there and they are sending a replacement. He said if they find that the issue is not there they will charge me a repair fee. Hope they find the issue as I cannot afford the repair fee haha. Did you give it to the courier in your original box or do you just giive them the phone?

My new iPhone was to arrive today via UPS (I paid the hold fee of 550 on credit card and the 29 euro dispatch fee), but UPS messed up, so it'll be here tomorrow. I'll have my existing phone ready to hand to the UPS guy when he gets here, reset minus my SIM card.

I don't expect to have any more dealings regarding repair fee's etc. The other option was I send them my phone and they send me a new one back, that was free. But the timing wasn't right for me. The 550 hold on credit card is a pain, but it'll be refunded in a few weeks apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 macbook.dan

Just to my two pence in, I've seen Vodafone 4s having a number of problems and the fix for most of them is putting a blank Vodafone sim in the phone turning off and on and then putting your sim back in, one issue I know it's been fixing is caller ID issues.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

My new iPhone was to arrive today via UPS (I paid the hold fee of 550 on credit card and the 29 euro dispatch fee), but UPS messed up, so it'll be here tomorrow. I'll have my existing phone ready to hand to the UPS guy when he gets here, reset minus my SIM card.

I don't expect to have any more dealings regarding repair fee's etc. The other option was I send them my phone and they send me a new one back, that was free. But the timing wasn't right for me. The 550 hold on credit card is a pain, but it'll be refunded in a few weeks apparently.

Mine was refunded within 24 hrs of them receiving my 4s back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

My 4S is going back tomorrow. Theres no audio on a good number of outgoing calls.

Hopefully the new one will behave itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I was mad to get one of these cuties but after the sheer amount of problems so many seem to be having I think I will give it a miss!
    As my job relies on being able to receive calls, the very fact of not being able to receive calls would have me fired in no time!

Maybe I will wait for a few mnths untill they have ironed out their issues. :(

Advertisement