Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having lots of 4S problems?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Got a 4S yesterday and it won't recognise the sim - just got a no service message. Called into a vodafone shop just now and they 'set up my sim' and told me to sync with iTunes. Just did that, and I did get a searching message, but still no service. Also, now my old phone won't work.
    There is no phone number listed on the settings/phone/my number so looks like I'm going back to the shop again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,565 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

youtube! wrote: »
    I was mad to get one of these cuties but after the sheer amount of problems so many seem to be having I think I will give it a miss!
    As my job relies on being able to receive calls, the very fact of not being able to receive calls would have me fired in no time!

Maybe I will wait for a few mnths untill they have ironed out their issues. :(

you will always hear about people having problems with products no matter what, you won't hear half as much - nay actually you won't hear any people saying they love their device as much as you'll hear about the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Local shop turned out to not know their @rse from their elbow.. I went back as I now had 2 not working phones and they messed about a bit, called vodafone help desk and all sorts and deduced that the handset was faulty. Went into a proper Vodafone shop and within 3 minutes, it was working.
    Got home however, and the volume in the ear piece is woefully quiet. Ok on speaker or music through the speaker, but hardly useable as is. I'm away later for a week, so will have to put up with it, but it's going back after that. Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

I got my replacement one this morning after asking for one yesterday. Amazing service but SADLY the initial performance of the new phone is bad. 3 out of my 6 messages failed and I am losing service in areas where my old phone had full bars. Really worried. Will be on to them again over the next few days if this does not get resolved. I am hoping it will improve. I did a network reset and upgraded to 5.01.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Would battery problems not come from the fact that 3G is always enabled? 3G drains the battery something serious. On my ip4 I usually had it off, but with the option taken away the battery doesn't last as long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭flyandrain

No problems for me, have the 4S since Monday fully updated, battery seems same as my previous 4.

One thing I have noticed the back of the phone gets very hot, anyone else notice this?

got similar issue here as well. it gets hot sometime, and the worse scenario was my iphone went off without any notices when it had 73% battery 1 hour ago, and the body of iphone and iphone case are both very hot. therefore, gonna get a replacement, do not want carry a potential fire bomb in pocket:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

New iPhone4S arrived yesterday from Apple as a replacement for the one I got from Meteor on launch day.

My issue was that outside of wifi, the signal kept dropping, going from full 3G to searching to No Network while I could be standing still. It looked like the cellular chip was constantly resetting itself.

New iPhone now seems to be working great. No dropped signal just yet and while I'm out and about all data seems to be working fine. Hope it stays that way.

I got a new sim for my phone today and it did not stop my texts failing. I got through to a Apple engineer in Cork who asked me to try out another carrier sim (Im with Meteor) before we go further. This is my second phone and I hope Meteor are not the issue as they are so cheap. Anyway I will report back. Its just so annoying. I have to say Apple have been very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

@macdaddy I was having trouble with messages I noticed if I turned off iMessage they went through no problem but with it turned on the message just seemed to hang 3/4 of the way,so is turning off iMessage the permant solution no it is handy when texting out side the bundle ie meteor to o2 etc.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I dunno folks, when I got my replacement the problems that I was having with text messages just vanished, haven't had one failed message since, and I also have iMessage switched on all the time.

Oh and just so as ye all know, each time you turn back on iMessage you will be charged for an international SMS, unless you are on O2 who aren't charging their customers for this activation SMS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

For some reason today my battery is plummeting a percent every 10 min or so with out me using the phone. Usage and standby are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

To date I haven't had any software or battery issues, but I am getting a really annoying rattle when I set the phone down on a desk or tap the back of it. It seems to be coming from the camera. With everything else working i'm a bit reluctant to bring it back in case I get a dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

mad muffin wrote: »
    For some reason today my battery is plummeting a percent every 10 min or so with out me using the phone. Usage and standby are the same.
    This happens to me on and off too. I can't seem to pinpoint what it is as I'm not using anything out of the ordinary apps wise???.

BanjoB wrote: »
    This happens to me on and off too. I can't seem to pinpoint what it is as I'm not using anything out of the ordinary apps wise???.

For now a hard reset seems to have fixed the issue.

I would say its iOS 5 but the iPad 2 and my old iPhone 4 are working flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Got one of these as a company phone, no problems so far, battery life is not the best, pings for mails every 15 minutes but apart from that, I use my personal phone a lot more and I find I'm charging the iPhone every second night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

I would say its iOS 5 but the iPad 2 and my old iPhone 4 are working flawlessly.

Nah, not IOS5 or 5.0.1. Just dodgy handsets. Too many people reporting no issues after replacement. Dont hang around if it happens again MM. Straight back with it;)

Thanks folks. I thimk i will buy that sim just to make sure. Is everyone who is having text message issues with meteor?

dodzy wrote: »
    Nah, not IOS5 or 5.0.1. Just dodgy handsets. Too many people reporting no issues after replacement. Dont hang around if it happens again MM. Straight back with it;)

I already returned one :eek:

I already returned one :eek:

Lads I think it might be Meteor. Apple sent me a replacement and it had the same issues at the first one. Mainly texting issues. I replaced my microsim yesterday to no avail. Apple asked me to try another network sim this morning. I bought a o2 one and sent around 15 messages, and not one has failed, reception is perfect. I am kind of hoping its the phone but I don't think it is

I'm with Vodafone not had any problems with texts and reception.

New issue. I call someone they can hear me I can't hear them, I call back and the second time I can hear them. :(

I guess I'm going to have to call Apple again. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Lads I think it might be Meteor. Apple sent me a replacement and it had the same issues at the first one. Mainly texting issues. I replaced my microsim yesterday to no avail. Apple asked me to try another network sim this morning. I bought a o2 one and sent around 15 messages, and not one has failed, reception is perfect. I am kind of hoping its the phone but I don't think it is

I dunno to be honest, I'm with emobile who use the meteor network and also the meteor carrier settings and I was having this problem with the text messages, I got a replacement phone and everything's been fine since. I haven't had one failed message since.

I know some people on Vodafone who were also experiencing the same problems on their 4s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

I'm with Vodafone not had any problems with texts and reception.

New issue. I call someone they can hear me I can't hear them, I call back and the second time I can hear them. :(

I guess I'm going to have to call Apple again. :eek:

But they won't be able to hear you the first time:D You better call from a Nokia:cool:

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I dunno to be honest, I'm with emobile who use the meteor network and also the meteor carrier settings and I was having this problem with the text messages, I got a replacement phone and everything's been fine since. I haven't had one failed message since.

I know some people on Vodafone who were also experiencing the same problems on their 4s

Ah god I am totally confused. Surely I'd have the same problem with O2 would I not? Its every second or 3rd msg with Meteor and between my sisters 02 sim and the o2 sim I bought today. 30 texts sent with no issue :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Does this sound familiar?

Outgoing calls.. No Audio

My replacement for this problem arrived yesterday. No hassle since!

Trotter wrote: »
    Does this sound familiar?

Outgoing calls.. No Audio

My replacement for this problem arrived yesterday. No hassle since!

Yeah, I make call and there isn't even a dial tone. So what did you do to get the replacement?

I just rang the Apple tech service support number and talked them through the problem. After doing things like a restore etc they decided they'd replace it. It's was all done then through UPS couriers.

Trotter wrote: »
    I just rang the Apple tech service support number and talked them through the problem. After doing things like a restore etc they decided they'd replace it. It's was all done then through UPS couriers.

Right, so they insisted you do a restore first. I'll try that ten before I call them.

Yeah and try make a few calls before you put the apps back. It'll prove it's not an app problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

What exactly is a hard reset?
    I have heard of a soft reset.
    Can you explain them both to me and the difference please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I'm with meteor and haven't had any issues. Crap signal at times but I still get my calls texts working. iMessage can mess up at times, have to switch on and off wifi to get it going.
    Jelly SMS has also stopped working for me. But the meteor website is a mess anyway so I don't blame the app totally.
    Battery sucks but not half as bad as others say, I still get about a day out of the phone, that's with email etc, play games the odd time. Sometimes I think of swapping the 4s for a 4 plus cash.

Hope it gets better.

Advertisement