Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having lots of 4S problems?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Ok so got replacement and same problems have come back. Sms not sending and 3g gone crappy. Not has bad as first phone but still head wrecking enough to be a problem. Hopefully emobile\meteor get it sorted fast. Have reported issue to emobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Great, please do mate. Are you having issues with texts not sending too?

No texts are ok. but the 3G not working was enough for me to get annoyed, plus my old IP4 is still in the house, and ive found myself using that insted of the 4s to do some things, and it shouldnt be like that. Ill sell it and buy a 32gb ip4 if it still wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭jamesd

breeno wrote: »
    Has anybody else had a problem where occasionally the phone will show 3G coverage but not connect to the internet at all? Only turning the phone off and on again seems to bring it back? I bought direct from apple and they have offered me a new phone but I don't have a credit card and they will only give the replacement if I give them a credit card. Has anybody used this service with a laser card? Do I need a new device even? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Just started happening to me over the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

jd83 wrote: »
    Ok so got replacement and same problems have come back. Sms not sending and 3g gone crappy. Not has bad as first phone but still head wrecking enough to be a problem. Hopefully emobile\meteor get it sorted fast. Have reported issue to emobile.

Sorry to hear that mate. Mine is the same. At least we are sure it is meteor now

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Seriously though lads, surely if its meteor that all meteor/emobile customers would be having the same issues. I was having the text messages problem when i got my first 4s from emobile and within 2 days I was on to apple and got a replacement from them, that was over 3 weeks ago now and since then I havent had one text message not go.

Yeah, like others have already stated, I am having some problems with the 3g service, like last Sunday, for atleast 3 hours I had no 3G services on my phone despite having full signal and the 3g icon on the screen, flicking between airplane mode and turning on and off the phone did nothing either, despite tech support saying, "We have done things to you account at our end, please switch to airplane mode for 5 mins and that will sort it for you".
    In the end what brought it back was when I turned of the phone in an area where there was no 3g coverage and only "E", seemed to get me back online.

Its baffling alright, I must admit I am getting rather pissed off with the flakiness of their 3G service on the 4S. I never had any problems like these with their 3g service on my 3GS phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Another Meteor customer here with flaky 3G service on iPhone 4S.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Seriously though lads, surely if its meteor that all meteor/emobile customers would be having the same issues.

Well that is true but can you explain this

I have
    - updated to 5.01
    - restored my iphone (ie reinstalled IOS 5.01)
    -reset network settings
    - replaced my meteor microsim
    - got my phone REPLACED by Apple.

Still had my texts fail on my replacement phone

only ONE thing worked...sticking in an 02 sim.
    Everything was perfect then.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well that is true but can you explain this

I have
    - updated to 5.01
    - restored my iphone (ie reinstalled IOS 5.01)
    -reset network settings
    - replaced my meteor microsim
    - got my phone REPLACED by Apple.

Still had my texts fail on my replacement phone

only ONE thing worked...sticking in an 02 sim.
    Everything was perfect then.

Dont dispute that at all, but how come I dont have any problems with text messages on emobile with my new 4s while I did with the previous handset. All Im saying is I think there may be a bigger issue here as there are plenty of other networks across europe who are having the same issues.

Also, if Im not mistaken there are o2 customers having this issue also

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Also, if Im not mistaken there are o2 customers having this issue also

Now I wasn't aware of that. I did some internet research on it last week and could only find Vodafone users in Austrailia and the other network users in Malaysia, Denmark & Sweden having the issue. It kind of changes the issue a lot if Irish o2 users are having the issue. Its just so frustrating as I text a lot and it takes 2 mins to send a fail text. In fairness Apple have been very good and offered to replace the phone again, but they were quite honest and said they didn't think that was the issue after my replacement phone had the same problem. It doesn't explain how your replacement phone solved your issue though. Maybe there is a bad batch of phones and I happened to get two in the same batch? Another lad on this forum had his replaced recently and his problems have not been resolved either. Im just clutching at straws here :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

breeno wrote: »
    Has anybody else had a problem where occasionally the phone will show 3G coverage but not connect to the internet at all? Only turning the phone off and on again seems to bring it back? I bought direct from apple and they have offered me a new phone but I don't have a credit card and they will only give the replacement if I give them a credit card. Has anybody used this service with a laser card? Do I need a new device even? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Yeah happens from time to time, very annoying.

I installed the beta of 5.1 seems to have improved my battery issues but still very early so hard to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

The amount of calls that went in to Meteor/eMobile about the 4s causing chaos was unbelievable. Before the release of the 4s, there was little issues noted about coverage/service. Then from the minute the 4s was released, bang! The whole network got bombarded with people experiencing issues with coverage, texts dropping, calls not sending/receiving. Pure nightmare! Glad I was finished doing any sort of work for that company because it seems to be the only one being affected with a high amount of issues.

New iphone recived this morning, some issues have been resolved but the main issue of crap signal still remains. 100% a meteor problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Some problem seem to be particular to different carriers, certainly with the iPhone 4.

Some customers on Three have a problem where it won't switch back and forward between 3G and GPRS/Edge until airplane mode is engaged.
    Some VF customers were badly affected by the 4.2 update which resulted in dropped calls all over the place.
    From what i can see, eMobile/Meteor seem to be suffering the most with the iPhone 4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I'm with meteor also got my replacement 4s from apple couple of days ago and am
    Having the same problems. Internet and 3G only work some of the time and texts not sending some of the time battery is still terrible! At a loss what to do now. Also I notice my phone is still on ios5.0 and saying its up to date and no software update available? Anyone know why this is?

smyths wrote: »
    Having the same problems. Internet and 3G only work some of the time and texts not sending some of the time battery is still terrible! At a loss what to do now. Also I notice my phone is still on ios5.0 and saying its up to date and no software update available? Anyone know why this is?

Did you try update with itunes?

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    smyths wrote: »

No only via icloud my comp not working :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

UPdate will improve the battery but you will still have a problem with 3g and sms its a meteor issue not apple. Im going to try an experiment. Over on the meteor forum they say it could be to do with the specific type of sim card meteor uses. So im going to change my sim to the full size sim card. I have one of those micro cutters to make it a micro sim. MAybe the different type of sim will fix it. I dont see it getting resolved soon

Do O2 and VF provide micro sims for free?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

O2 definitely do. I got one today. Afaik Vodafone do as well.

UPdate will improve the battery but you will still have a problem with 3g and sms its a meteor issue not apple. Im going to try an experiment. Over on the meteor forum they say it could be to do with the specific type of sim card meteor uses. So im going to change my sim to the full size sim card. I have one of those micro cutters to make it a micro sim. MAybe the different type of sim will fix it. I dont see it getting resolved soon

Don't think it will as they just cut my full size sim to make It micro sim and I'm still having the issues. Dropped calls etc.

Anyone know a way to force the update over the cloud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Bloody hell, Meteor really are getting hammered on Twitter and on their forum. And not just about this iPhone issue. It's everything, people getting overcharged, waiting weeks for refunds, people can't get through at all to customer service....

It seems like a disaster. People are infuriated.

I don't understand how they have gone so wrong. It could be the classic business case of growing too fast. Their customer base has outgrown their operation and they simply don't have the staff in place to deal with the big increase in numbers.

I never had any issue when I was with O2 or Vodafone/Eircell before that. And that stretches back some 16 years. on the rare occasion I did have to contact customer care, they were always reachable or answered emails very quickly. I now realise I was stupid in signing up for a 24 month contract. Madness. My own fault though.

I said it on that iPhone 4S thread on the Meteor forum, the company are in serious trouble as they will have customers dropping/cancelling contracts like flies at this rate.

They are simply not set-up to deal with their customer base.

Might get them and check out the differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

My first sim was a cut down one. I thought that was the problem.
    I had problems on the 3GS and the 4s with it.

Same problems with new sim. That was not cut down.

Although even before I got the new sim. I have noticed an improvement. It's not as bad as it was for me. Still flakey 3G. But not so many failed attempts at trying to do stuff.

This is now really bizarre....I got my phone back from Apple today.

And....it's the same phone I sent in. :confused:

With a very nice note saying they could not service the phone due to "Unauthorised Modifications" made???

What the hell? The phone was bought from and is locked to Meteor. No unauthorised software or apps have been added. It was also wiped clean, erased all settings etc prior to sending it back as instructed.

I'm going to kill someone in Apple for this.

Rob C wrote: »

With a very nice note saying they could not service the phone due to "Unauthorised Modifications" made???

Wow that is crazy, I would definitely argue the case as basically they are saying your year warranty is void due to it being 'modified'.

Is there any external damage on the phone maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Rob C wrote: »

What the hell? The phone was bought from and is locked to Meteor. No unauthorised software or apps have been added. It was also wiped clean, erased all settings etc prior to sending it back as instructed.

Did you remove the back cover?

Maybe call Apple again and see what they say ?

O2 said they give out free micro sims to existing customers, other wise its €10, same with vodafone.

Wow that is crazy, I would definitely argue the case as basically they are saying your year warranty is void due to it being 'modified'.

Is there any external damage on the phone maybe?

Weird. I called them and got through to a senior agent. She said the repair people take pictures of the phone when getting it returned and they say the little silver ring that is supposed to be around the flash, is missing on mine :confused:

It is missing now that I've checked, but that's the way the phone was delivered to me from Meteor. Nothing was done to the phone.

She said herself it's weird and is going to get a replacement out to me...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

O2 said they give out free micro sims to existing customers, other wise its €10, same with vodafone.

Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood the context of your question. I thought you were asking about blank micro-sims.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Had my 4s a month now, I hadn't been suffering from any battery issues but now I'm a little bit concerned. At first battery life would drop 3-4% overnight, now though it's dropping by 10-15%. I'm struggling to come up with a reason why as no settings have changed since I last checked and got the 3% drop (2 weeks ago)

Advertisement