Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having lots of 4S problems?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Have organised a replacement. Battery life on phone is muck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mactard wrote: »
    Had my 4s a month now, I hadn't been suffering from any battery issues but now I'm a little bit concerned. At first battery life would drop 3-4% overnight, now though it's dropping by 10-15%. I'm struggling to come up with a reason why as no settings have changed since I last checked and got the 3% drop (2 weeks ago)
    Have a look in Settings > Location Services > System Services and see if any of them are currently active. I had to disable Setting Time Zone because it was on continuously. This was meant to be fixed in 5.0.1 but it seems not.

It might also be an app running a process in the background. So bring up the multitasking bar and quit all apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have a iPhone 4 and iPad 2 on iOS 5.0.1 and battery life is great on them.

I've had three 4S's and battery life starts ok but gets progressively worse and usage time whilst the phone is idle goes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

mad muffin wrote: »
    I have a iPhone 4 and iPad 2 on iOS 5.0.1 and battery life is great on them.

I've had three 4S's and battery life starts ok but gets progressively worse and usage time whilst the phone is idle goes up.

I'm sorry I bothered upgrading at all. If I could get a refund I would. Battery life on 4 was excellent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Have a look in Settings > Location Services > System Services and see if any of them are currently active. I had to disable Setting Time Zone because it was on continuously. This was meant to be fixed in 5.0.1 but it seems not.

It might also be an app running a process in the background. So bring up the multitasking bar and quit all apps.

I can rule out app running in the background as I regularly quit running apps, via mulitasking bar, and I have location services switched off. The only thing that has changed is the weather outside :pac: so unless that's making the 4s work harder to find a good signal I'm at a bit of a loss. Gonna keep an eye on it and think it over some more, the battery life is still quite decent, but it's a massive drop in a short space of time for no apparent reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Just to follow up a little bit, battery life has plummeted dramatically in the last day - standby is draining faster than I'd like, but that's not the worst of it. Now even the lightest of use (essentially, activating the screen) causes the battery to drain by about 1% every 2/3mins.

I'm going to do a full wipe/restore, but not expecting that to fix it (as my 4s had been good as gold up until lately) so I'm already beginning to process of wondering if I'll bother getting a replacement or just a refund. I do love the phone, not enough to put up with erratic battery performance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Add another eMobile user with no 3G service.... Only started at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Say if i try to return my get sim free phone to apple due to the emobile\meteor problem. Do you think I could get a full refund. I already had it replaced once.Im thinking that it will be ages before this get fixed and just get a Galaxy s2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jd83 wrote: »
    Say if i try to return my get sim free phone to apple due to the emobile\meteor problem. Do you think I could get a full refund. I already had it replaced once.Im thinking that it will be ages before this get fixed and just get a Galaxy s2

They have a no quibble 14 day return. But if its outside that, and the problem is with eMobile/Meteor and not with other networks, I couldn't see them giving you a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Just got my replacement from apple today. It came with just 5.0 and not 5.0.1
    should I update or leave it on 5.0 what do you guys think. Only testing it out now for problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

wush06 wrote: »
    Just got my replacement from apple today. It came with just 5.0 and not 5.0.1
    should I update or leave it on 5.0 what do you guys think. Only testing it out now for problems.

Id leave it, my phone ran better on 5.0 than it did on 5.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

What % do people find their 4S falls while on standby per hour? I'm currently getting about 5% per hour – while is bad. The up side is that while in use it doesn't drain that much quicker (music, browsing etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

grizzly wrote: »
    What % do people find their 4S falls while on standby per hour? I'm currently getting about 5% per hour – while is bad. The up side is that while in use it doesn't drain that much quicker (music, browsing etc).

Same here around 5% per hour on standby battery has dropped 15% with less than 1 hour of usage . Location services off I deleted my iCloud account as I have read on the Apple forums that this helps.I have constantly cycled my battery since I got the phone a month ago. I'm giving it two more days then its back to Apple it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I upgraded to a 4S from a 4 (on O2, for the record), and all the same apps installed from the restore.

The battery was dire on the 4S for the first day or so, dropping 10% over a few hours of standby.

I took a look around the web, and found a few suspects, but tests found only one of them to be the culprit:

The New York Times app, inside the Newstand app, works fine on the 4, but seems to cause huge issues on the 4S - I could feel that the back of the phone was warm through an Incase cover, even though it was lying on a table in standby!

I deleted the NYT app, and the battery is almost back to iPhone 4 levels, which is fine, considering the faster processor runs more cycles, etc.

I don't understand what's going on with the usage time as the phone idles. I'm getting massive usage times as it idles.

I delete all the apps from the bar, hard reset and then charge the phone. Once it's charged and I leave it alone no usage times, as soon as I turn the screen on and go into any app usage times start rising as the phone idles.

This is my third 4S and I have set it up as new, nothing but weather in notifications (makes no difference if I turn weather off).

On 5.0 or 5.0.1 makes no difference. Driving me nuts. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Do you have push enabled in Mail? I noticed there's something up with Exchange accounts. They are fine for hours and will then suddenly start raping the battery. I've noticed a big improvement since I disabled push on them. iCloud push seems fine though.

Do you have push enabled in Mail? I noticed there's something up with Exchange accounts. They are fine for hours and will then suddenly start raping the battery. I've noticed a big improvement since I disabled push on them. iCloud push seems fine though.

No push on anything. Went into the advanced menu and turned it off, also off in settings on Facebook.

Doing a reset all settings seems do hae stopped the idle usage.

Had the same problem as muffin over the weekend, phone only lasted 12 hours, so after a full charge left it on standby overnight. The usage time increased by 4 hours! To be fair there were a few apps in the bar, but that's always the case. I also have 2 exchange accounts with push and iCloud. Battery seems to be back to normal but im still losing about 8-10% overnight

I'm also trying an app called battery doctor which states that if you plug your phone out when it reaches 100% it's not actually fully charged, and you have to leave it in for another while.

• Advertisement

Had the same problem as muffin over the weekend, phone only lasted 12 hours, so after a full charge left it on standby overnight. The usage time increased by 4 hours! To be fair there were a few apps in the bar, but that's always the case. I also have 2 exchange accounts with push and iCloud. Battery seems to be back to normal but im still losing about 8-10% overnight

I'm also trying an app called battery doctor which states that if you plug your phone out when it reaches 100% it's not actually fully charged, and you have to leave it in for another while.

Have you tried reset all settings?

mad muffin wrote: »

Have you tried reset all settings?

no, but if it continues I will.

Overall my battery is back to normal, but my overnight standby time is@8% so still up (down?) from 3/4%.

I did another hard reset, completely drained it then fully charged it, switched off icloud but did not wipe and install 5.0.1 like I had intended. I'm still puzzled :pac:

no, but if it continues I will.

It's not as daunting as it sounds.

It just resets stuff like your ringtones, wallpaper, brightness, saved logins and passwords on Safari, wifi login, notification centre and location services.

Everything else is untouched. When the iPhone restarts you get the initial iPhone setup screen and you just set it up as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lockster

I've just got a 4s on eMobile and I cant get it to send mms. Everything else seems to work fine and I have mms turned on in settings but it just won't send. Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

I got my iPhone 4S on Wednesday and been having a really strange problem when Im talking on the phone outside I can hear my voice through the phone or something but I don't get this talking inside somewhere. Also I noticed there is a yellow tinge to the screen that isn't there on my old 3GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Guys, we have a serious issue with Meteor and the iPhone 4S. I see on the Meteor forums they confirmed the Micro sim is just 32K!!! Nevermind even 64K, it's just 32K! It needs to be 128K for the iPhone 4S!

Bloody hell, this is a total disaster......

We have to be able to get out of these contracts. Under consumer law we're covered I believe, the product is not performing or functioning as specified so we should be able to return and cancel the contract with NO penalties.

Meteor are not equipped for the iPhone 4S..

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Rob C wrote: »
    Guys, we have a serious issue with Meteor and the iPhone 4S. I see on the Meteor forums they confirmed the Micro sim is just 32K!!! Nevermind even 64K, it's just 32K! It needs to be 128K for the iPhone 4S!

Bloody hell, this is a total disaster......

We have to be able to get out of these contracts. Under consumer law we're covered I believe, the product is not performing or functioning as specified so we should be able to return and cancel the contract with NO penalties.

Meteor are not equipped for the iPhone 4S..

Have you a link to where they confirmed it on the meteor forum?

Actually I've just found it, that's interesting alright, Somehow or another I cant see them switching all their micro sims to 128k

http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=2859

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Apart from the battery being so bad on the 4S my biggest problem is that I am randomly getting No Service for no apparent reason. There is no pattern behind it that I can see but every now and then when I look at my signal it just says No Service.

I have disabled Sim pin but it does not seem to make a difference. If I try to make a call when No Service is displayed it will kick the network back in and work ok.

I am on O2 and have noticed this almost every day since I got it about a month ago. Seems its a common problem worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭LittleLebowski

Were do I begin...
    I got my 4S straight from apple. The battery drains 60% overnight on idle. Unless I have 80% or more going to bed it could be dead. I was late for work the first time this happened as it died overnight.

Also I was getting o and E or even no service all the time in work were my old 4 was grand.

I sent the phone back to apple on the 29th Nov and they still havnt got it. I had to fax them my proof of post. Think it might be lost in the post. I have been using an old phone since then. Its best feature is snake 2.
    I wish I had have gone with the express delivery. €40 to the courier but he would have handed me a new phone within 3 working days.

What I would give even to have the crappy battery no service iphone back. If any of you get to the stage were you are sending it for service pay the extra for peace of mind. Wish I did.

Advertisement