Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having lots of 4S problems?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

And me thinking the iPhone 4 was bad.
    This phone is pathetic Apple should be ashamed to release a phone with so much problems,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have started to restart the phone after each full charge and m no longer getting massive idle usage like before. I've just had around three hours usage with three days standby.

This s the first time since October tat te phone has gone for more tan a day without ending to be chared.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

The new phone Apple sent me has iOS 5.0.1 9A405. No updates available and the issue has not occurred at all on this phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Well my No Sevice issue has gotten worse and is happening more often. Finally decided to ring Apple and they are sending a replacement tomorrow. Hopefully a new phone will fix it.

When I send my old phone back do I include the box or accessories? I am assuming not and I will just get the new phone without the extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

mad muffin wrote: »
    I have started to restart the phone after each full charge and m no longer getting massive idle usage like before. I've just had around three hours usage with three days standby.

This s the first time since October tat te phone has gone for more tan a day without ending to be chared.

Yeah Its all a bit mad, I still had battery problems after the 5.0.1 update - but not recently. They must have snuck something in under the hedge or something.

Alls grand now!

• Advertisement

Last night we were in a pub that has poor reception. I pull out my phone from my jeans pocket and it says no service, my wife's and sister in laws iPhone 4 on the other hand had at least three bars (we are all on Vodafone).

Even after I pulled out my phone it would remain in no service, I had to toggle airplane mode to get service back but as soon as I popped it back into my pocket it lost reception.

This isn't the first time I've noticed this either, I thought the 4S had some new fangled antenna?

I can't believe I'm going to have to call Appe yet again to replace yet another phone.

Last night we were in a pub that has poor reception. I pull out my phone from my jeans pocket and it says no service, my wife's and sister in laws iPhone 4 on the other hand had at least three bars (we are all on Vodafone).

Even after I pulled out my phone it would remain in no service, I had to toggle airplane mode to get service back but as soon as I popped it back into my pocket it lost reception.

This isn't the first time I've noticed this either, I thought the 4S had some new fangled antenna?

I can't believe I'm going to have to call Appe yet again to replace yet another phone.

These are exactly the symptoms that made me decide to call Apple and get a replacement. It happens most when I take the phone out of my pocket or in areas with low coverage. My wifes iPhone 4 does not have any problems in the same areas. I am not optimistic that it will be different on the newer phone though.

I decided to sign up to Applecare as I may be sending more than one phone back if this keeps happening.

Celtxx wrote: »
    These are exactly the symptoms that made me decide to call Apple and get a replacement. It happens most when I take the phone out of my pocket or in areas with low coverage. My wifes iPhone 4 does not have any problems in the same areas. I am not optimistic that it will be different on the newer phone though.

I decided to sign up to Applecare as I may be sending more than one phone back if this keeps happening.

I wish I signed up to AppleCare.

It's funny, but replacement phones do seem to be better. Got mine from apple last Friday and have had no dropped calls or texts not going through. Even in a very bad coverage area like my office which is stuck in the middle of a big building, I'll still have one bar and always can make calls send texts etc. Have had no "No service" issues. Had them all the time with my first phone.

This replacement phone has been excellent. Working the way it should be.

And note I have not done the update Meteor were advising. No need, it's the 9A405 version of 5.0.1 I have. No updates available and everything is working A1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

You should be able to sign up to Applecare any time within the original guarantee period (12 months).

• Advertisement

Type 17 wrote: »

You should be able to sign up to Applecare any time within the original guarantee period (12 months).

Yes but Mad Muffin has already spent the cost of the AppleCare program on two returned phones so far. If he had signed up originally he would have saved money. Hindsight is great!

Yeah :(

Well I got my replacement phone today. It seemed to be ok but lo and behold when I took it out of my pocket just now I had No Service.... Its running the 405 software so I will update it to 406 and see if that makes any difference. Really pissed off with it now though.

Well I got my replacement phone today. It seemed to be ok but lo and behold when I took it out of my pocket just now I had No Service.... Its running the 405 software so I will update it to 406 and see if that makes any difference. Really pissed off with it now though.

Hmm, that's not good. But no panic yet, as you say update in to 406 and see. Most who did that reported on the Meteor forum that it fixed the issue and all have working phones.

I got a replacement 2 weeks ago and it's been working perfectly. Even in very bad coverage areas like my office. Didn't have to update to 406 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭LittleLebowski

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056496669

Have a look at my thread. This sorted mine out. Doubled my battery.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Can some one please tell me this is the 3rd time i sent my phone off to get fixed.. When is it time i can go into Meteor hand them back the phone and tell them stick it where the sun dont shine and cancel my 24months as this is really a joke i sign up to get the iphone and be able to use it not to have the headaches of ringing Apple gettings asked 200 questions and waiting for UPC to pick it up...

Cork24 wrote: »
    Can some one please tell me this is the 3rd time i sent my phone off to get fixed.. When is it time i can go into Meteor hand them back the phone and tell them stick it where the sun dont shine and cancel my 24months as this is really a joke i sign up to get the iphone and be able to use it not to have the headaches of ringing Apple gettings asked 200 questions and waiting for UPC to pick it up...

Sale of Goods Act is your friend remember. If you have a major fault with the phone, under the law you are entitled to reject the goods and rescind (end) the contract. You have the right for repair, replacement, a reduction in the price you paid or a refund. Do not be put off with any clause in the Meteor contract about no refunds etc. Any clause like that is not worth the paper it's written on.

They will try and fob you off with the contract you signed saying no refunds etc or no obligations after X days. but that contract is pure BS. The law is the law, know it and print out the relevant info when tackling them from the NCA. http://www.nca.ie/nca/faultygoods

What they can say is that they will take it away for repair, though you can point to the repairs already undertaken by Apple to show it hasn't worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

ok got my New iphone today still Crap.. So i went in looking for the 9A406 so i restored the iphone and it updated to this version and im hoping now that its going to keep working so far so good after about 15 texts

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Today is the first day in a while mine has started giving me bother...dropping giving intermittent connection to Facebook and other various apps and web pages not loading even tho I'm showing 5 full bars of 3G signal which is a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

eeloe wrote: »
    Today is the first day in a while mine has started giving me bother...dropping giving intermittent connection to Facebook and other various apps and web pages not loading even tho I'm showing 5 full bars of 3G signal which is a pain!

This was the same problem I had. But it's grand now. Well the odd app I might have to refresh once or twice more.

I wonder has it got to do with the area you are in. They just fail and it takes Meteor ages to fix. My problem where in Bluebell/Clondalkin.

• Advertisement

Still seeing some instances of No Service with mine. I dont think it's as bad but I have seen it a few times even after I updated to 9A406. I can't trust having it in my pocket anymore for fear of missing a call. My final test is to try it without the case on to see if that helps in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

I'm sick of my 4s battery life its not even lasting a day! iv tried everything.
    How do i make an appomnent with the genus bar in Belfast as I bought the phone there.

Will they just replace it on the spot?

fox007 wrote: »
    How do i make an appomnent with the genus bar in Belfast as I bought the phone there.

Have you installed the 406 update? It's done wonders for my battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Is there a way to tell if you have the 406 update.

After messing around with iTunes plus. I restored my phone and put all my music back on. That was the 22nd. I don't know if it was the 406

Mad thing is it fixed something I never realised was broke.
    Led Flash for alerts started working.

EDIT: Yes have it. Never realised it was in settings "about" Thought it just came up as 5.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

Seems with so many teething snags with the 4S - should we wait until the next model is released before contemplating a purchase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

fox007 wrote: »

I restored mine with the 406 update and still losing about 35% overnight in standby,
    how much battery life are you losing overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

TT09 wrote: »
    I restored mine with the 406 update and still losing about 35% overnight in standby,
    how much battery life are you losing overnight?

What's the battery loss in Airplane mode over night? Worth trying it if you haven't done it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Gallee wrote: »
    Seems with so many teething snags with the 4S - should we wait until the next model is released before contemplating a purchase?

The thing is you never see a thread with people posting how wonderful their new device is, and while there appears to be a lot of common problems going on here with some members devices my 4s is working like a dream; 3% battery loss overnight in Airplane mode, 6% on standby. No calls or message problems. Even Siri has no problems whatsoever with commands. For what its worth, my handset is locked to 3. Hope you guys get sorted soon and get to enjoy what you paid for. Happy New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

naasrd wrote: »
    The thing is you never see a thread with people posting how wonderful their new device is, and while there appears to be a lot of common problems going on here with some members devices my 4s is working like a dream; 3% battery loss overnight in Airplane mode, 6% on standby. No calls or message problems. Even Siri has no problems whatsoever with commands. For what its worth, my handset is locked to 3. Hope you guys get sorted soon and get to enjoy what you paid for. Happy New Year.

Your getting 6% loss overnight so it looks like mine has a faulty battery will send it back for a replacement, thanks for the info on your battery loss %.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've just lost 40% of battery life over-night on my 4s! :(

people are saying put the phone in airplane mode and see the battery loss over night, i need my phone turned on all the time for emergencies...that's the whole point of a mobile phone?

really wish apple would sort this out!

Advertisement