Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get a gaming pc built

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Great. You can always upgrade it down the line if you need more power (or research overclocking and core unlocking). It was a little bit unfortunate that hard drives were at their highest at the time that you were looking, but prices are returning closer to normal judging by the last bargain alert. I assume with the 6.9 score, you must have got the SSD. I think that this was a good choice even though it's somewhat a luxury item; while second hand hard drives are okay for general use, they won't be as fast as modern ones (which were ridiculously priced) or of course, SSDs. They can be replaced easily enough but replacing your OS/Windows drive is more trouble. Just watch where everything is be installed to. Browsers and a few office programs can go on the SSD, but bulk items (i.e., games (I'm not sure how big minecraft is) should go elsewhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

Yeah I got the m4 ssd, it got a score of 7.8. I installed windows 7, office and google chrome and I think there is about 40gb left, I'm nearly sure that's what it was, I was rushing to get it all packed back in the boxes before he came back from school. It's soo fast and quite, really impressed with it. I end up getting a 24inch monitor off adverts, its practially brand new and I got it at a great price with original reciept, less then half of shop price, so really happy with that. Going in now to get a keyboard and that's him finished, I was messing with him and told him he's getting one of those old pc's with the green and black screen's so can't wait now to see his face christmas morning!
    For me it was alot of money to spend on a christmas present especially for his age but the way I look at it is he will benifit from it for a few years, he loves technology and it will be of use when he starts secondary school.

Oh yeah what programs would you recommend to keep it secure and child friendly, he wants to keep it in his room so need some sort of program to keep away from adult sites etc. I don't know if I will allow him have it in his bedroom but it will need some sort of program anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

greenheart wrote: »
    Yeah I got the m4 ssd, it got a score of 7.8. I installed windows 7, office and google chrome and I think there is about 40gb left, I'm nearly sure that's what it was, I was rushing to get it all packed back in the boxes before he came back from school. It's soo fast and quite, really impressed with it. I end up getting a 24inch monitor off adverts, its practially brand new and I got it at a great price with original reciept, less then half of shop price, so really happy with that. Going in now to get a keyboard and that's him finished, I was messing with him and told him he's getting one of those old pc's with the green and black screen's so can't wait now to see his face christmas morning!
    For me it was alot of money to spend on a christmas present especially for his age but the way I look at it is he will benifit from it for a few years, he loves technology and it will be of use when he starts secondary school.

Oh yeah what programs would you recommend to keep it secure and child friendly, he wants to keep it in his room so need some sort of program to keep away from adult sites etc. I don't know if I will allow him have it in his bedroom but it will need some sort of program anyway.

turn off hybernation on your SSD drive m8. its not healthy, plus it will give you lots of space back. i would suggest putting "windows restore function to bare minimum too"

turn off hybernation on your SSD drive m8. its not healthy, plus it will give you lots of space back. i would suggest putting "windows restore function to bare minimum too"

Sorry how do I turn hybernation off?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Windows 7 has parental controls built-in. I don't know what you can do with them, but I'd give those a look before installing third-party stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

greenheart wrote: »
    Sorry how do I turn hybernation off?

Disable Hibernate
    Quote:
    Description: You may free up 1GB of space on the SSD if you have 1GB of memory, 2GB of space if you have 2GB memory. You will lose the hibernation feature which allows the equivalent of quick boots and shutdowns.

Instructions: Start Menu -> Type cmd -> Right-Click the cmd Icon -> Run as Administrator -> Type powercfg -h off -> Hit ENTER -> Type exit -> Hit ENTER

To enable type: powercfg -h on

Serephucus wrote: »
    Windows 7 has parental controls built-in. I don't know what you can do with them, but I'd give those a look before installing third-party stuff.

Yeah I was looking at the windows one but I think that only covers stuff like certs on games, films. Not too sure tho going to look into it more.

Advertisement