Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over Coming Morning Sickness

Options
  • 14-11-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My partner and I are expecting a baby in July this year.

She is experiencing very bad "morning sickness" during the morning, afternoon and evenings!

Is there anything she can take to help her get through it or anything I can do to help? This has been going on for a week or two and its not pleasant for her.

Also people have been telling us that alot of morning sickness is a sign of its going to be a boy. Any truth in this or is it just an old wifes tale?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Firstly, morning sickness is the stupidest name EVER, as like your wife is experiencing it happens ALL THE TIME :rolleyes:

**Also people have been telling us that alot of morning sickness is a sign of its going to be a boy. Any truth in this or is it just an old wifes tale?**

id say thats an old wives tale :rolleyes: but who knows. My mother had no sickeness and had 5 girls, my aunt had none and had 4 boys. so who knows if there is any truth in it.

On the morning sickness side of things. I suffered badly with it, from about week 5 untill week 14. And no matter what you do it wont make her feel any better.. My other half could have offered me the sun moon and stars and id still have told him where to shove them :o

I found anything minty great. Mints, throwing a silvermint or two into a class of water and letting them flavour it, i didnt have mint tea, because I cant stomach it, but again, its worth a try.

I also found ice pops a god send. Not ice creams now, Icepops, like Mr freeze (thats what i ate alot of) or those callipos, just something that Flavoured Ice, nothing more.

Some people say ginger is good, it didnt help me. My friend lived on a slice of fresh ginger in a mug of warm water, and carried fresh ginger with her to be smelling :D

Alot of it will be trial and error to see what helps. Hopefully she wont have it for long tho :D

Be sure she does eat tho, something, anything, tiny little meals will help her sickness ten fold compared to no eating at all.. I didnt eat a proper dinner for about 3 weeks, I just had bits and bobs through the day, like noodles, or fruit, or nuts, or ice pops, cheese and crackers... that kinda thing

Hope this helps a little, Ive just noticed its a bit of a rant, but I hope you get where Im coming from :rolleyes: If not, blame the squishey pregnancy brain..

And Congrats on being preggerz :D

Oh, Also, i found realllly cold apple juice helped :confused: worth a try (apparently its good for migrane sickness thats why i tried it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi, I also had morning sickness in the first few months, but I found that it mostly came on me whenever my stomach was empty.
    So whenever I got it I would just eat an apple or a banana, and that seemed to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/preggiepop.html

http://www.lillipops.com/

Both those products are wonderful and can be a real help, but she should also discuss it with her dr if its chronic as there may be other issues in play.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Actually there is a couple of things that you can do for your wife - go easy on any aftershaves or strong smelling deoderant, be aware of things like bins getting smelly or air fresheners being sprayed around that might make her go green.

I didnt get morning sickness but I did find that strong perfumes on the bus made me feel queasy. I also found the same when my stomach was empty that I would feel queasy so stocked up on fruit to snack on at work.

I dont believe that sickness has anything to do with baby gender. My mum was sick on all and had mostly girls. Its to do with the mothers hormones.

Congrats on your good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I found ginger ale helped me a lot - drank a lot of it (and can't stand the sight of it now ;-)) also +1 on the ice pops - I lived on loop the loops and twisters!

definitely go easy on the smells - no cooking smoked fish (could have killed hubby for that one) or too much aftershave, or, god forbid, smoking (had a colleague who was smoking a good bit - everytime he came back from a fag break, I could smell him before he barely entered the building - and it sent me retching.)

and stock up on snacks, such as Tucs, or muesli bars to keep something in the stomach.

usually it will pass though - morning sickness stopped after week 14 for me, and hasn't come back (probably jinxed it now ;-))

best of luck to ye! :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ginger ale, ginger nut biscuits and tuc crackers got me through it. M&S do a great ginger ale, it's really gingery and I found that if I sipped it through the day it did wonders. Also tell her to eat little and often, although it's probably the last thing she feels like doing she won't feel as bad if she does. I'd definitely +1 the suggestion of taking the bin out regularly. The odd morning I'd be in the kitchen and go to put a tea bag in it and end up barfing as soon as I opened it, not a nice start to the day at all.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

dunnes and tesco sell the old fashioned ginger beer - One I have is Bundaberg and its a brown bottle with an orange label. The tesco one is nearly as good - Fendimans is the name, and in brown bottle with a cream and red label.

You can really taste the ginger in it, not like the wishy washy schweppes ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Vitamin b6, sit up slowly from any position, specially lying down, always carry some plain biscuits or crackers....stay away from coffee...went from loving the smell and taste to hating it!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Actually another thing I remember is my morning sickness used to get a lot worse when I was in the car, so I used to bring a plastic bag, baby wipes and a bottle of water in the car with me. I only had to use it once, but god was I glad I had it when the alternative was throwing up out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

I had sickness all through the first trimester and nothing helped at all except (as someone said before) when I had an empty stomach. The trick was to eat something, anything BEFORE you feel hungry or even slightly hungry. After that, too late!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Peppermint tea and snacking on plain wheaten crackers and slices of apple got me through the worst times. It was hard to keep anything down before 9pm for the first 4 months but all of the above helped relieve the nausea for me a little at least some of the time. Also mint flavoured sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I had sickness from week 5 to week 39 when I had her, I was even vomiting during labour, I went off food and was hospitalised 3 times, my little girl was 9lb 1 which was a big surprise as she was a week early and I was so sick, I would burst the blood vessels in my eyes, face, neck and lips from the vomiting, I found nothing to ease it. Smell of food cooking sent me straight to the bathroom. Even the look of some foods sent me there. With Some people it eases off around week 12. Towards the end I found gaviscon helped, no idea why but it did.

With my next 2 pregnancys the vomiting eased and I had boys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Are you sure she hasnt got Hyperemesis? Worth seeing GP./ hospital. If she does she will need regular hospitalisation

(ps I also had boys)

Advertisement