Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trade in prices rip of

Options
  • 14-11-2011 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

xtravision is a rip off, went to the local store to get the new modern warfare game for son and trade in a game he was finished with (red fraction Armageddon) which was on the shelf and priced at €49.99.
    Was offered €8 store credit not €8 cash, pointed out that it was €49.99 on the shelf and that unbeliveable difference and the reply i got was thats what comes up when it is scaned and blathered on about some sale thats happening in the near future.Ill just say thats the last time i will ever purchase anything inthis shop again.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If xtravision can't sell the game then you won't get much money for it and red faction armageddon isn't a bit of a flop so you got what was expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

How old is your son?

He should be big enough to get it himself. As he should be 18++ to play that game. I am just saying...

As for trade in value. Try GameStop and see what will they offer, but I still wouldn't be very optimistic about it. Trade in value goes very very fast these days. You better off keeping it and in 10-20 years your son will be able to show it to his own kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Yesterday I went to Smyths in Naas and traded in Assassins Creed 2, and the two previous Call of Duty games for €30!

They wouldn't even take FIFA 10 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I was in Game on Cruise's Street in Limerick on Saturday and they were only offering me €1 for Fable II. I was hardly that stuck for a euro so I took Fable II back off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The value drops really quickly from games, if you dont have a constant finish it and trade it in a week loop going you will loose quite a bit.

I got offered 50cent for a game before i kept it as the empty box was more valuable than that. Turns out i had a new game delivered and its box was cracked, so that old box came in handy. What a lovely story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

not-this-again.jpg?w=400&h=259

Don't like it, don't trade it. Simples. They have to make money, and Red Faction: Armageddon doesn't sell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The value drops really quickly from games, if you dont have a constant finish it and trade it in a week loop going you will loose quite a bit.

I got offered 50cent for a game before i kept it as the empty box was more valuable than that. Turns out i had a new game delivered and its box was cracked, so that old box came in handy. What a lovely story.

And the Oscar for best original screenplay goes to ..............:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

not-this-again.jpg?w=400&h=259

Don't like it, don't trade it. Simples. They have to make money, and Red Faction: Armageddon doesn't sell.

This.

I dont trade games , generally not worth my while(plus I'm a retro collector , so the stuff I get 3 quid for now is the same thing I'll be buying back from ebay in a few years ;))
    Trading exists to make the retailer money , not as some service to gamers (regardless of how they spin it in ads and the like).
    (I did however once buy a game from Xtravsion for a fiver and trade it into Game for 8.50 , so you can work the system sometimes ;))
    Oh yeah quick rule .If a game has a year in the title , and its not that year now, it'll generally be worth pennies .I know Fifa 08 and 09 SELL for 99 cents in game (I've actually bought them for replacement boxes and given the games away [they'd have been binned otherwise , no interest in footie games]), so the trade in value on them is nonexistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Trading exists to make the retailer money, not as some service to gamers (regardless of how they spin it in ads and the like).

I'd agree with you apart from this. Trading in games can sometimes be used to your advantage. An example would be the recent deals Game have been doing where you trade in last weeks new release against this weeks new release for €49, and just pay 99c for the new game (Batman Arkham City against Skyrim was one I availed of).

I very rarely trade in though. Even though I'll never play Black Ops again, I'd prefer to have it sitting on my shelf than trade it in for €5 credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I tried to trade a copy of FIFA 11 (I wasn't expecting much at all, just wanted to knock a bit off a game that I was planning to buy), I thought maybe I would get €5 store credit, they offered me €1 for it :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Only thing I'd say happened there is that their shelf price hasn't updated. I bought Red Faction Armageddon in Game at the weekend for €12.99.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trade in a shitty game, get a shitty price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

uzitaz2 wrote: »
    xtravision is a rip off, went to the local store to get the new modern warfare game for son and trade in a game he was finished with (red fraction Armageddon) which was on the shelf and priced at €49.99.
    Was offered €8 store credit not €8 cash, pointed out that it was €49.99 on the shelf and that unbeliveable difference and the reply i got was thats what comes up when it is scaned and blathered on about some sale thats happening in the near future.Ill just say thats the last time i will ever purchase anything inthis shop again.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

saw it posted on HUKD.ie yesterday for €10 delivered new. TBH, €8 was a very good offer. The worth of the game has dropped, they just havent updated the price on the shelves yet

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/19279236/Red-Faction-Armageddon/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=red+faction+armageddon&urlrefer=search

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I've found CEX tend to do better prices cash than anywhere else does in credit, and their website actually has prices up which are usually accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness that game only costs about 12.99 new now, in a lot of places, so 8 euro was actually a very good offer with that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Think thats bad? I traded Arkham city in on the 5th and got credit(€32) for it, was handed the receipt and told that was it. Landed in today to use it against Assassins Creed and they say the receipt I was given isn't enough, even though thats all they gave me. Apparently they would have given me a gift card. So now I'm waiting for them to speak to some area manager about it. Definitely not impressed, and the last time I will be dealing with them.

Gamestop may give you a pittance but at least they give you the credit they promise.

It's not as much a question of trade in value for me as much as it is replay value. I only keep games that i know i will come back to and play again and again, especially as the long new year lull in games releases comes in.

Anything that i will play once and lose interest in goes back for trade before it drops much in value from the RRP. It's almost like i've rented it for a few weeks, completed it, and it's cost me €20 euro for the privelidge. I'm fine with that.

At the moment I'm trading Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 in for Modern warfare 3, because i just know I'm never going to go near any of them again. Uncharted games are like Michael Bay movies-they're grand to kill a few hours, but your interest in them wears off completely once you've watched them all the way through.

On the other hand, there's a good chance i'll get a lot of replay value out of Modern Warfare 3.

Advertisement