Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worming Pups

• 14-11-2011 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey,
    My first time to post here. Just a quick question, I'm bringing our 3 4 week old pups to the vets this evening to get their weight checked and to get them wormed..
    Is it ok to take them away from their mom for a little while? Do you think she'll be ok without them or them without her?
    Or should I bring her with us? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would bring the mother with them as it could upset both mum and babies if she isnt around.

Also, just to add, puppies are meant to be wormed from 2 weeks of age and the mother should have been wormed after the birth as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Millie86

Thats unusual as we thought that too but when we contacted the vets when they were 2 weeks she said they were not to be wormed until 4 weeks?!?

Yes I was thinking bringing her would be the best option so as not to upset them.
    Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Generally worming is every 2 weeks until 12 weeks then monthly until 6 months. You can get a liquid wormer and dose them at home by weight, mother needs to be done at the same time.
    At such a young age I would bring the bitch, will reduce stress on all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Depends on the drug in question, but most wormers now (milbemax for sure, drontal too I think) can be safely used from 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

There are specific puppy wormers designed to be used from 2 weeks of age (Parazole, Milbemax Puppy etc.) - some people worm pups from 2 weeks, others from 4, all down to how they personally feel about worming very young pups. Personally, I think 2 weeks old is fine but all down to personal choice. Your vet will be able to give you a safe wormer for the pups and for their mother (she will probably need to be done too).

If you are going to the vet with them and decide to bring their mother, she may get very agitated while there (she already associated the vet with unpleasant things - vaccinations, sickness etc.) and will be less than impressed with the vet handling her pups. Some bitches can be fine, albeit a bit stressed, while others can go lose the plot and become very aggressive. If you really want to bring her, bring a box or crate to keep the pups in so that she knows where they are at all times. Leaving her at home is not a bad option, it really depends on the bitch - she may be more stressed away from them for an hour than being in the vet with them or she may freak out at the vets (not good for anyone involved). You know your dog better than anyone, totally your call!

• Advertisement
Advertisement