Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle Paths for Kids

• 14-11-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

My 8 year old son & I have caught the cycling bug and spent most of the weekend out & about on our bikes.

I have heard there is a very decent cycle path from Fairview to Clontarf but was wondering if there was something similar on the southside where kids could cycle safer? I am not comfortable taking my little boy on the cycle lanes at the side of the road yet, as he is not street-wise yet.

For the Fairview path, is there decent car parking close to the track?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

There's parking at the fairview end of that track, some paid, some free (I think). If you're travelling that track, there's an on-road section for about 1 km in the middle of it but it's worth heading on past that for the second half all the way out to sutton. Of course, that may be too much for an 8 year-old.

Also consider heading into St Annes park at the bull island causeway for a bit.

Southside, there's a stretch of off-road cycle path from Booterstown through Blackrock Park. You could also consider Marley Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Great cycling pathway from Clontarf to very near Sutton Cross (just a small section about 1.5km long missing in the centre between the wooden bridge and the Causeway). Use it a lot with my young lad. You could drive and park on the causeway and cycle towards howth on pathway and get a nice little spin done in a very safe enviroment but just look out for all the rollerbladers and racing Cyclist who are training.

I believe a new cycling Track has just opened in CORKAGH PARK, CLONDALKIN, which is 2 km long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Dummy wrote: »
    My 8 year old son & I have caught the cycling bug and spent most of the weekend out & about on our bikes.

I have heard there is a very decent cycle path from Fairview to Clontarf but was wondering if there was something similar on the southside where kids could cycle safer? I am not comfortable taking my little boy on the cycle lanes at the side of the road yet, as he is not street-wise yet.

For the Fairview path, is there decent car parking close to the track?

There's handy parking at Fairview, opposite Clontarf Garda Station, opposite Clontarf Bus Depot, at Clontarf/Vernon Ave (opposite the Church), St. Anne's park and at the Bull Island causeway.

Be aware that on weekends it's a game of Dodge the Gob****e as it's invaded by joggers, dog walkers, pedestrians and roller blade types. Other cyclists are prone to cycling in packs while taking up all available space.
    Make sure the young lad has a bell on his bike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

[QUOTE=RT66;
    Make sure the young lad has a bell on his bike :)[/QUOTE]

Or a railway horn as posted on another thread :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

I've found the path alongside Glenasmole reservoir to be ideal for cycling with my 8 year old; closed to traffic, not too many pedestrians and plenty to see along the way. Parking is just after Bohernabreena waterworks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The parkies in st annes are surprisingly bike friendly and its a very nice place to cycle. I used to use the cycle path and the park quite a bit when I lived in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The War Memorial Gardens have a nice bit of track that leads into Chapelizod.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

+1 for Marley, great for an 8 year old on a bike, and plenty of reasonably wide unpaved paths through the forest that have far fewer people and are good fun for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I think you should get kids use to cycling on the road as young as possible, they quickly build up road sence.

I have been bringing my twins out cycling with me since they were 6/7 years old, where possible they use a cycle path but when none are available they would stay on the road and if all possible not on the path. 4 years on and still no major accidents, I do have to be extra vigilant with my son as he is deaf in his right year and doesn’t always hear traffic coming from behind. we regularly travel along the rock road Merrion road without any problems.

As far as southside off road cycling tracks is concerned, it is nearly possible to cycle from Booterstown to Kiliney hill without using roads.

there is a park from Booterstown to Blackrock, then from Seapoint Dun Laoighaire there is a path alongside the sea, then from the people’s park in Dun Laoghaire there is a pathway along the dart route that brings you to Dalkey Avenue. here is a link to the route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

dited wrote: »
    I've found the path alongside Glenasmole reservoir to be ideal for cycling with my 8 year old; closed to traffic, not too many pedestrians and plenty to see along the way. Parking is just after Bohernabreena waterworks.

That looks like a fantastic cycle. Thank you for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The Phoenix Park is great -- http://cyclingindublin.com/phoenix-park-cycle-tracks/

It's even nice and quieter with the main avenue shut off to traffic. Loads of parking in the car parks, which all have direct access or are very close to the off-road cycle tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

monument wrote: »
    The Phoenix Park is great -- http://cyclingindublin.com/phoenix-park-cycle-tracks/

It's even nice and quieter with the main avenue shut off to traffic. Loads of parking in the car parks, which all have direct access or are very close to the off-road cycle tracks.

It has been years since I have been in the Phoenix Park - had not thought of it.

Isn't there a great list of places to bring kids to cycle safely, coming together here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dummy wrote: »
    Isn't there a great list of places to bring kids to cycle safely, coming together here?

Places to cycle with your kids in Dublin?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056225745

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Have you considered giving mountain biking a go? No motorised traffic to worry about and thanks to the Coillte trails there's something to suit all skill levels.

Just a note on the Phoenix Park: it would be a good place to bring kids cycling, but be sure to respect the one way system currently in operation. Two or three times I've seen cyclists come the wrong way down Military Road (and two or three times I've seen motorists go the wrong way down the North Road).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The roads are still wide enough for two cars, never mind one car and a bike, going in opposite directions. They didn't remove the lane so a cyclist going against the traffic I don't think is an issue in the park. Motorists speeding is though, it's gone ridiculous since the works started.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

For those who are westside Beechpark next to Clonsilla train station us good, especially for younger kids. There's a path all the way around and you stand right in the middle and watch them. So you have total visibility and they have total freedom.

Watch for the downhill past the playground and path near cars (although seperated) at entrance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is that the newish park on the right after you go over the tracks heading towards Westmanstown or whatever that place is called ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes.

Advertisement