Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

too late to lime?

• 14-11-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi i have lime to spread and was wondering is it too late in the year to spread lime or does it matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭deise man

Makes no difference, spread away once ground conditions permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Just remember that you shouldn't spread urea on land that has got lime in the last 6 months.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

is there any problems spreading lime after slurry?
    or how long should you wait if so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

deise man wrote: »
    Makes no difference, spread away once ground conditions permit.

Would leeching have a bearing on lime impact?
    ie. If you got a lot of heavy rain after spreading the lime would the lime be washed down to the hard pan or could it be washed away into drains and rivers before it would have any impact on the soil???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

cjpm wrote: »
    Just remember that you shouldn't spread urea on land that has got lime in the last 6 months.... ;)

I think that applies to spring applied lime, spread in Autumn is fine with the average rainfall we get, to go out with urea in Feb again.

• Advertisement

I think that applies to spring applied lime, spread in Autumn is fine with the average rainfall we get, to go out with urea in Feb again.

Not so sure... Why would one be spreading Urea on Sept 1st after lime on March 1st??

Not all the lime granules fully disolve over the winter, hence the 6 months rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

cjpm wrote: »
    Not so sure... Why would one be spreading Urea on Sept 1st after lime on March 1st??

Not all the lime granules fully disolve over the winter, hence the 6 months rule.

Taken from here
    The response to urea can be very poor if it is applied within eight weeks of an application of lime. A reaction occurs between the urea and the freshly applied lime particles, which results in much of the urea being lost to the atmosphere as a gas (volatilization). As a general rule don't use urea if lime has been applied that Spring. If lime was applied in the previous back end it should be safe to use urea in the following Spring provided there was sufficient rainfall to wash the lime into the soil. Lime can be applied a week after an application of urea with no increased risk of losses as the urea will have been fixed in the soil and no reaction occurs between the urea and lime particles

Taken from here

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. That's the reason why it's recommended to run a land leveller or harrow across a freshly limed ploughed field before spreading the fertilizer.... Or so i've been told.

I assume the size of the particles has a large bearing on it too. We have got lime like a fine sand sometimes.... other times it's like a dust, and the neighbours get a dash of it too;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Great timing of question just after getting home from an ifa meeting talking on this subject.
    Answers were:
    Most beneficial to spread lime in spring. Helps form new roots
    best lime is fine limestone partical sizes less than 0.015 however not as economical as spreading ground limestone which has at least 35% particals of .015 or less. comparisons worked out at 25 per acre to 150 per acre
    Basically spread slurry a week before spreading lime so that the lime doesnt kill the benefits of the slurry.
    the urea being have to be spread 6-8mths after lime was a yes. but if you spread the urea before the lime it was ok. i think it was just a few days that you had to leave it. could be mistaken but i am fairly confident on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tvo

thanks for all the replies
    i was planning on going out with lime in the next week or so and was going to reseed a couple of the paddocks in the spring. the plan is to go out with the lime now, chain harrow X2 in the spring (as soon as temps rise) broadcast with fertiliser spreader, roll, fertilize, could i get away without spraying

• Advertisement
Advertisement