Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work question

Options
  • 14-11-2011 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

Recently I had to go to a funeral in Dublin, but had to take two days off work for obvious reasons, but work are putting it down as a sickness. now I dont mind that I wont get paid, but they have a system in work where if you have 3 absenses in a "rolling 6 months" they'll go down a disciplinary route, Im just wondering does anyone know the legality of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Why is it down as sick leave? Did you call in advance? I would have thought you could use annual leave for this, or if you are hourly paid, simply take unpaid leave?

Have you checked your contract / Hr policy to see if you can avail of force majure or compassionate leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Sala wrote: »
    Why is it down as sick leave? Did you call in advance? I would have thought you could use annual leave for this, or if you are hourly paid, simply take unpaid leave?

Have you checked your contract / Hr policy to see if you can avail of force majure or compassionate leave?

Well I found out on tuesday night, they closed at 8 so couldnt ring them then.
    As it was the funeral of a cousin its not under the same bracket as a family member so no force majore or compassionate leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why not just unpaid leave.

Usually force majure you have to be a close relation. At least that our HR rules. compassionate leave is a little more fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is it really necessary to take two days though? I know from experience that if you don't go to both the removal and the burial you will get some dirty looks from people who would be better occupied minding their own business, but still, going to one or the other would show respect?

looksee wrote: »
    Is it really necessary to take two days though? I know from experience that if you don't go to both the removal and the burial you will get some dirty looks from people who would be better occupied minding their own business, but still, going to one or the other would show respect?

Well I'm based in cork and it was in dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Force Majeure is for emergencies; e.g. you are needed to bring someone in to A&E. It's not for funerals etc. This should just have been taken as annual or unpaid leave.

If you have a car, a day should have covered it though.

Eoin wrote: »
    Force Majeure is for emergencies; e.g. you are needed to bring someone in to A&E. It's not for funerals etc. This should just have been taken as annual or unpaid leave.

If you have a car, a day should have covered it though.

I dont have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We also have 'managed unplanned absence', ie if you go over the company norm they can go down the disciplinary route.

Going to the funeral like this would come under unplanned absence, no matter what way they paid or unpaid you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It's no real help for OP but it's a perfect example of the need to agree all the details when taking time off, particularly if it's at short notice..

Companied are not obliged to give you time off without pay and in some organisations you cannot book holidays within X days of the event...

Employees need to understand the processes in their workplace and ensure they know the expected outcomes before the act... it's amazing how often employees act without knowing what will happen...

Advertisement