Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Advice

Options
  • 14-11-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R motherboard and I am looking for advice in replacing the current graphics card.

Primarily I am concerned with compatibility between graphics cards at the moment and the expansion slots I have. I am no expert so I thought I'd ask advice before doing some research.

I an currently running Win7-64 with 4-6gb ram (I'd need to check) and primarily use the PC for gaming and movies.

Mainly I'm hoping someone could look at the motherboard I have and tell me what types of cards I can and cannot look at, if there are others out there who would advise on a particular type of GC I'd also much appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

It will take any modern pci-express graphics card (99% of graphics cards now)

Whats your processor? (too old or slow and it will bottleneck the graphics card in most games)

Whats your power supply? - brand and watts, open up the side of the case, have a quick look at the sticker on the side of the power supply if u dont know much about pcs

Whats your max budget for a graphics card and what kinda games do you want to play?

One of the most common mid-range graphics cards at the mo is the ATI 6850, basically put it will run all games on a 22 inch monitor buttery smooth (assuming the processor isn't a dog) and costs about 130ish euros.

Here's a nerd chart with a comparison to most other cards on the market
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6850/28.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30 digidydaz

Hi Jonny7

All valid questions and I will try to get answers for you this weekend when I return home.

Thanks

dd

• Registered Users Posts: 30 digidydaz

Hi again,

I had a look at my system over the weekend but I was in a rush at the time and hadn't time to get the specifics of the power supply.

I believe its a 650w or else 850w PS though.

As for the chip its Quad Core Pentium 2.66mHz

Does this help with selecting a card? I would ideally like to stay with Nvidia as I'm familiar with their software and I feel they have good products.

Advertisement