Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chile - 15 7 million year old whale skeletons found in 15 days

• 14-11-2011 4:58pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Just found this on the BBC, pretty substantial fossil bed has been xcavated in the Atacama region of Chile. 15 whole whle skeletons apparently as well as some sharks and seals thrown into the mix too!

Click here for more.

There's a bbc news report through that link, sorry I couldn't embed. Lots of significant finds popping up lately it has to be said!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

linky no worky

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Jagle wrote: »
    linky no worky

My bad,should be working now.

amazing how we have never found an amount of whale skeletons before, guess when they die they sink all the way down.

my theory is the water area the animals were in must of been kinda shallow to some degree, had its mouth closed, got trapped died and then the land was pushed up into the mountains

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Jagle wrote: »
    amazing how we have never found an amount of whale skeletons before, guess when they die they sink all the way down.

my theory is the water area the animals were in must of been kinda shallow to some degree, had its mouth closed, got trapped died and then the land was pushed up into the mountains

I was thinking maybe a delta where the animals got caught up in a lot of sediment?

me too, but they mention sharks and lots of other marine life.

lets use the example of the Mediterranean.
    Full of sharks, whales and fish, the strait of gibraltar closes from land movement/earthquake/landslide and over the next million years the med gets pushed into the mountains

the sheer amount of whales and the other fish remains must of been a busy part of the sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/11/20/whales-in-desert-fossil-bonanza-poses-mystery/

Seems that they also found an Odobenocetops in the area.

EDIT- Oops this had already been posted... :/

Chile%20Whales%20Big%20Top.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was thinking maybe a delta where the animals got caught up in a lot of sediment?
    At a guess?
    A pod of whales got beached in a muddy delta, half in-half out of the water. Sharks got attracted to the cadavers, and due to the watery, muddy conditions. Bingo instant preditor trap and fossilization.

Advertisement