Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big "beautiful" women, are some overweight women really this delusional?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

MungBean wrote: »
    If people were not meant to carry extra weight then we wouldnt have evolved to do that. I'm not saying 20 stone is a healthy and ideal weight for the average man or woman but human beings have the ability to carry extra weight.
    And that's the kind of weight being referred to on this thread, not a mere few extra lbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

This thread needs more pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Dudess wrote: »
    And that's the kind of weight being referred to on this thread, not a mere few extra lbs.

The amount of weight doesnt matter. The point of the thread isnt that people think it healthy and ideal to be 20 stone. The point is that they shouldnt be happy at that and shouldnt consider themselves beautiful because other people dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

There is an attitude out there that it's ok to be overweight and that it's normal for people to be fat.

There is? :confused:

The amount of weight doesnt matter. The point of the thread isnt that people think it healthy and ideal to be 20 stone. The point is that they shouldnt be happy at that and shouldnt consider themselves beautiful because other people dont.
    I don't think it's being said that they shouldn't be happy in themselves but it just asks the question whether they are sometimes deluding themselves with "Big is beautiful" as if that's a really popular consensus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

There is? :confused:

well considering 39% of adults are overweight in this country, I would say that's a pretty good indicator that it's seen as acceptable.

voz es wrote: »
    IMO yes. On this thread, morbid obesity is being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

well considering 39% of adults are overweight in this country, I would say that's a pretty good indicator that it's seen as acceptable.

So what? Its their life not yours. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

XenaLady wrote: »

Yes, but we as tax payers have to foot the bill for all the health costs associated with obesity...heart disease, diabetes mellitus etc.

In the same way that the alcoholism of others costs the taxpayer, so to does the obesity of others.

• Advertisement

38 pages in, and that's your argument? well discussion over so.

voz es wrote: »

Yes, this is about obese people not anorexic people. BIG difference.

However both anorexia and obesity can lead to an early grave.

Yes, but we as tax payers have to foot the bill for all the health costs associated with obesity...heart disease, diabetes mellitus etc.

In the same way that the alcoholism of others costs the taxpayer, so to does the obesity of others.

I suppose one cannot avoid the tax collected for those who are unable to control their habits but then again, how can I say, for example, that I wil never be in a situation when I will need to be assisted by other either by loosing my nerves or by eating too much or by smoking or getting a stroke to myself?

Community works the way that those who cannot help themselves, are assisted.
    Eating too much is not good, smoking is not good, drinking is not good, fizzy drinks are not good, too much sun light is not good, etc etc.
    Its life, bare it. Dont judge were only humans.
    The least sin is to be to big, I think itse everyones own business what size they are and people that judge this are really self centered.

Stupidusername - I dont even bother to answer.

I suppose one cannot avoid the tax collected for those who are unable to control their habits but then again, how can I say, for example, that I wil never be in a situation when I will need to be assisted by other either by loosing my nerves or by eating too much or by smoking s stroke to myself?

Eating too much is not good, smoking is not good, drinking is not good, fizzy drinks are not good, too much sun light is not good, etc etc.
    The least sin is to be to big, I think itse everyones own business what size they are and people that judge this are really self centered.

but that in itself is an answer :pac:

I think most people don't accept that food is an addiction, and even if it were not all obese people could use this excuse. generally people are more sympathetic to those with illnesses that haven't been caused by their own recklessness.

but that in itself is an answer :pac:

I think most people don't accept that food is an addiction, and even if it were not all obese people could use this excuse. generally people are more sympathetic to those with illnesses that haven't been caused by their own recklessness.

From all the addictions in the world, being some size between 6 to 24, shouldnt be anyone elses problem :D

I suppose one cannot avoid the tax collected for those who are unable to control their habits but then again, how can I say, for example, that I wil never be in a situation when I will need to be assisted by other either by loosing my nerves or by eating too much or by smoking or getting a stroke to myself?

No there's a difference between having a few drinks at the weekend/having a poor diet and being an alcoholic/morbidly obese.

People are entitled to have their vices but when it gets to the stage where their habits lead them to being a burden on the health system then they leave themselves open to being judged.

If I see a morbidly obese person stuffing their face with junk food I feel I am within my rights to feel disgusted knowing full well that their lack of respect for their body will lead to health issues.

The same way as when I see an alcoholic drinking cans of cheap cider.

The main difference is that all alcoholics have an addiction. Only a small amount of obese people are addicted to food per se. The majority have just bad eating habits, do no exercise and have little respect for their body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Only a small amount of obese people are addicted to food per se. The majority have just bad eating habits, do no exercise and have little respect for their body.

Well said!

*Chomps into Big Mac*

No there's a difference between having a few drinks at the weekend/having a poor diet and being an alcoholic/morbidly obese.

People are entitled to have their vices but when it gets to the stage where their habits lead them to being a burden on the health system then they leave themselves open to being judged.

If I see a morbidly obese person stuffing their face with junk food I feel I am within my rights to feel disgusted knowing full well that their lack of respect for their body will lead to health issues.

The same way as when I see an alcoholic drinking cans of cheap cider.

The main difference is that all alcoholics have an addiction. Only a small amount of obese people are addicted to food per se. The majority have just bad eating habits, do no exercise and have little respect for their body.

Both eating too much or drinking too much feeds the serotonine levels in the brain so I see no much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Let people be how they wanna be, if that makes them feel good then let em at it, who are you to judge?

The problem with this statement is that alot of these over weight women have a go at slim petit woman who are healty and refer to themselves as "real women", as if women who are slim are not real women.

Just listen to that women who used to work with Jerry Ryan and now Derek (?) on RTE and the stuff she spouts about "real women".

• Advertisement

Both eating too much or drinking too much feeds the serotonine levels in the brain so I see no much difference.

If you think there are as many people pre-disposed to food addiction than alcohol addiction then you may as well stop right there.

There is no doubt that there are some "compulsive overeaters" in Ireland, probably just a handful. The vast majority of obese people (99.9%) are obese because of the lifestyle they chose to lead.

Alcohol is a totally different story. It is a disease. People are often not only psychologically addicted but often physically addicted.

If you think there are as many people pre-disposed to food addiction than alcohol addiction then you may as well stop right there.

There is no doubt that there are some "compulsive overeaters" in Ireland, probably just a handful. The vast majority of obese people (99.9%) are obese because of the lifestyle they chose to lead.

Alcohol is a totally different story. It is a disease. People are often not only psychologically addicted but often physically addicted.

http://www.angelfire.com/hi/TheSeer/seratonin.html

I don't think it's being said that they shouldn't be happy in themselves but it just asks the question whether they are sometimes deluding themselves with "Big is beautiful" as if that's a really popular consensus.

No its gone further than "sometimes deluding themselves" and its attacking their right to be happy with how they are. People see it as unhealthy and unattractive and because of that think others are wrong to be happy about the way they are.

The majority of obese people are obese because they eat too much and lead unhealthy, sedentary lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Just because something causes a Seratonin doesn't mean that enough will be released to result in an addiction.

Besides, most people have a seratonin release connection pretty much ass backwards. It's released because they are happy to be eating...not because they are eating.

No its gone further than "sometimes deluding themselves" and its attacking their right to be happy with how they are. People see it as unhealthy and unattractive and because of that think others are wrong to be happy about the way they are.

It is unhealthy and unattractive and nobody (fat or thin) should be so deluded as to think otherwise. (although obviously there are people out there with such fetishes).

Of course obese people deserve the right to be happy, however they should never be happy about the fact that they are obese.

• Advertisement

It is unhealthy and unattractive and nobody (fat or thin) should be so deluded as to think otherwise. (although obviously there are people out there with such fetishes).

Of course obese people deserve the right to be happy, however they should never be happy about the fact that they are obese.

How can you think you have the right to dictate what someone else can be happy about ? If they have the right to be happy then they have the right to be happy about whatever they want. Its not for you to pick and choose that for them. If they are happy being obese then it doesnt matter how unhealthy it is or how unattractive it is they have the right to be happy about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Pointing fingers on others is not nice at all and its very bold as none of us is perfect and has the right to enjoy their lifes the way they want.
    Physical appearances matter quite little in life if you come to think of it really. We all turn old eventually, get wrinkles and at that point, all that matters is personality.
    I disagree. I was overweight and it affected my personality. I felt sluggish, tired and letharghic. I lost weight and the benefits were awesome. I'm not just talking from an aesthetic point of view. My mental health improved vastly and I found that even little things like walking up the stairs were no longer a chore as I could do it without getting out of breath.

Losing weight also greatly improved my looks (not that I'm claiming to be a supermodel or anything :p). Some people can carry extra weight and get away with it. I cannot. When I put on weight it goes to my face and I look bloated like a puffer fish and its very unattractive. In an ultra pc world we are supposed to say that personality will win over looks but that is a lie. It takes both personality AND looks and I have to say that since losing the weight, my looks have improved but so has my personality. I am no longer sluggish, tired and letharghic and am much more fun to be around.
    This thread needs more pictures.
    Here you go.

I don't think that it's ok for people to get to that weight. It's not a bit overweight and it must impede upon their everyday life. How could you live a happy, full filled life it you were that big? Surely everyday things would be impossible?

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I disagree. I was overweight and it affected my personality. I felt sluggish, tired and letharghic. I lost weight and the benefits were awesome. I'm not just talking from an aesthetic point of view. My mental health improved vastly and I found that even little things like walking up the stairs were no longer a chore as I could do it without getting out of breath.

Losing weight also greatly improved my looks (not that I'm claiming to be a supermodel or anything :p). Some people can carry extra weight and get away with it. I cannot. When I put on weight it goes to my face and I look bloated like a puffer fish and its very unattractive. In an ultra pc world we are supposed to say that personality will win over looks but that is a lie. It takes both personality AND looks and I have to say that since losing the weight, my looks have improved but so has my personality. I am no longer sluggish, tired and letharghic and am much more fun to be around.

Here you go.

I don't think that it's ok for people to get to that weight. It's not a bit overweight and it must impede upon their everyday life. How could you live a happy, full filled life it you were that big? Surely everyday things would be impossible?

I came down from size 20 to current size 12 in 3 months last autumn just cos I got bored with being big but it does not mean I have the right to choose how other people want to live their lifes.
    Tolerance and respect please dear fellow human beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

They should be made pay higher taxes because they will end up in hospitals needing operations when they are still young. I think a fat tax is needed. Why are they always real loud and obnoxious too.
    I think once you hit a certain BMI you should be detained and fed normal food untill you become healthy again. IF i had cancer this is what would happen , why not fattys. If it is such an addiction/disease/glandular problem why arnt they force fed some nutrition.
    I have never once heard of an operation to have bones lightened and yet there are thousands of big boned people walking around the place. Why isnt anyone collecting money to cure big boneitus.

I came down from size 20 to current size 12 in 3 months last autumn just cos I got bored with being big but it does not mean I have the right to choose how other people want to live their lifes.
    Tolerance and respect please dear fellow human beings.
    I don't get it why you quoted my post? Your post would have stood alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

Big beautiful lady is a synonym for "fat, fugly, delusional woman".

cloptrop wrote: »
    They should be made pay higher taxes because they will end up in hospitals needing operations when they are still young. I think a fat tax is needed. Why are they always real loud and obnoxious too.
    I think once you hit a certain BMI you should be detained and fed normal food untill you become healthy again. IF i had cancer this is what would happen , why not fattys. If it is such an addiction/disease/glandular problem why arnt they force fed some nutrition.
    I have never once heard of an operation to have bones lightened and yet there are thousands of big boned people walking around the place. Why isnt anyone collecting money to cure big boneitus.
    In fairness tough, for your system to work we would also need to add in all the people who smoke, drink to excess, don't eat their five a day and get at least 30 mins exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

cloptrop wrote: »

What about fat people who pay health insurance and have private health care?

Why would you be detained and fed normal food if you had cancer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 X.Static

Curvy Women All the way! they have the hips and boobs which skinny girls dont have if you get what I mean, and BBW's have too much of!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭johnny_cash

The only time a big one looks beautiful is about 3 in the morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

Sorry if it's been posted before but has anyone come across women saying " a skinny body couldn't hold all this personality" ? There's a girl I work with that's pretty overweight and she doesn't deny it, she's always goin on about how she on a diet but then she stuffs her face with junk food during the break... however the same girl is always posting up statuses and photos on facebook taking pride in her obesity :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

Hmmm I actually thought the point of this thread was that being overweight is being normalised by the BBW type woman, therefore promoting an unhealthy lifestyle.

I've a friend who is overweight. Doesn't do that much exercise and eats a lot of pizza. I don't know if this person is in denial about her weight or if it's sheer nutrition ignorance, but she seems to be perfectly happy with her size and hasn't made any attempt to lose the extra pounds and I've never heard her talk about her weight. That's absolutely fine - she seems happy.

But it's worrying because she is overweight and blantly ignoring the health risks that come with it. And that, to me, is what a lot of these BBW promote.

X.Static wrote: »
    Curvy Women All the way! they have the hips and boobs which skinny girls dont have if you get what I mean, and BBW's have too much of!

You are confusing "curvy" women with obese. You can be curvy with a BMI in and around 25, obese people have a BMI of 30+. Don't confuse the two..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Well weight is an important indicator...especially for things like heart disease and diabetes.

Well I have diabetes and I am spot on in my BMI - there is a genetic component to such conditions. ;)

The only time I was over the BMI was many, many years ago when I played rugby (womens)- including being capped for Munster and Ireland. I trained twice a week, went to the gym the other nights and during the season played a match every Sunday. My body fat percentage was less then the 20% usually recommended for women. According to the BMI, however, I was 'obese'.

I doubt very much you'd find too many cavemen with diabetes. You have diabetes because of your diet. Bet you eat lots of grains.

Elba101 wrote: »
    I've a friend who is overweight. Doesn't do that much exercise and eats a lot of pizza. I don't know if this person is in denial about her weight or if it's sheer nutrition ignorance, but she seems to be perfectly happy with her size and hasn't made any attempt to lose the extra pounds and I've never heard her talk about her weight. That's absolutely fine - she seems happy.

But it's worrying because she is overweight and blantly ignoring the health risks that come with it. And that, to me, is what a lot of these BBW promote.

I think in this day and age with so much awareness of the dangers of obesity and related diseases, there are very few people out there who don't understand the dangers of being overweight.

Obese people who continue to lead unhealthy lifestyles do so because they are in denial or have no respect for their body.

People who claim to be proud to be obese are just putting on a front. I'm pretty sure if you gave any obese person the opportunity to be of normal weight they wouldn't think twice. If they did, then they have serious psychological issues.

Many obese people are too lazy to do anything about it, have resigned themselves to being fat for the rest of their lives, and try to take the shame out of it by pretending to be confident in their skin.

• Advertisement

I doubt very much you'd find too many cavemen with diabetes. You have diabetes because of your diet. Bet you eat lots of grains.

You are referring to Type 2 diabetes only. Type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent) has nothing to do with weight or lifestyle.

Hmmm I actually thought the point of this thread was that being overweight is being normalised by the BBW type woman, therefore promoting an unhealthy lifestyle.

The point is not that its normalised but that people who seem to normalise it by being happy and confident as bigger women are wrong to do so. Who is anyone to say "You cant be happy because we dont like how you are" ?

How is your friend promoting health risks by never mentioning her weight and simply being happy going about her business ?

People are not promoting being obese they are just being happy how they are. I think a lot of people here are getting confused with a happy overweight woman and the porn industry's marketing of BBW women.

The point is not that its normalised but that people who seem to normalise it by being happy and confident as bigger women are wrong to do so. Who is anyone to say "You cant be happy because we dont like how you are" ?

How is your friend promoting health risks by never mentioning her weight and simply being happy going about her business ?

People are not promoting being obese they are just being happy how they are. I think a lot of people here are getting confused with a happy overweight woman and the porn industry's marketing of BBW women.

They don't have to mention their weight to promote it. If obese people continue to eat unhealthily and lead lazy lifestyles then they are promoting health risks.

And obese people are rarely "happy with how they are". It's like saying a smoker is happy with chronic emphysema. Both are conditions which limit their lifestyles and result in early deaths.

They may pretend to be happy so they can justify continuing to eat excessively and be lead lazy lifestyles without feeling guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

I wasn't aware that I actually said she was "promoting" the risks. I did state that she is ignoring them though. Which is true. It has nothing to do with talking about her weight or not. I only mentioned it to show that she must be happy with her size, which is fine. But it's not healthy - and that's my issue.

People can have a bit of weight on them and still have a healthy lifestyle.
    Obese people who refuse to do anything about their weight, happy or not, are promoting it, whether they mean to or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

If they were happy as they are would they be slagging off slimmer women? (not all do that) I know that goes both ways BUT it seems to be ok to say women are too thin. But not ok to comment on obesity.

Regardless. Both are unhealthy states and not particularly attractive. What is more attractive is someone happy In themselves. That includes larger people. But there's a difference between just being porky and being seriously obesse.

They have the right to be happy in their own skin. But that shouldn't include putting down smaller women - even those who are healthy - because 'big women are real women' etc. you can make yourself feel better without resorting to putting everyone else down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    I know that goes both ways BUT it seems to be ok to say women are too thin. But not ok to comment on obesity.

Which is these states is more desired and idealised in modern culture? The answer goes a long way to explaining why one is commented upon and the other isn't.

I wasn't aware that I actually said she was "promoting" the risks. I did state that she is ignoring them though. Which is true. It has nothing to do with talking about her weight or not. I only mentioned it to show that she must be happy with her size, which is fine. But it's not healthy - and that's my issue.

People can have a bit of weight on them and still have a healthy lifestyle.
    Obese people who refuse to do anything about their weight, happy or not, are promoting it, whether they mean to or not.

Your entire point was that these women promote an unhealthy lifestyle. You even reiterated it at the end of that post. I know its not healthy, she knows its not healthy. Your issue with the unhealthy lifestyle is the health risks. You say your friend is ignoring the risks, you say anyone who does so is promoting an unhealthy lifestyle so why are you trying to draw a distinction between everyone else and your friend ? You say in her case its fine to be happy and then contradict it later on by saying happy or not its promoting the health risks and that in your opinion seems to be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

What about fat people who pay health insurance and have private health care?

Why would you be detained and fed normal food if you had cancer?
    You would be detained until you were better and given whatever cured you .

And just cause someone pays health insurance doesnt mean they have a right to use all the operations. Thats like saying I have car insurance I should be allowed drink drive. Its just silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

It's good to see the Stop the Spread tape measures in Boots.

They're free to take.

If someone is determined to be overweight when using the tape measure and the light bulb fails to go off then there really no point in trying to convince them to lose the extra weight.

Advertisement