Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big "beautiful" women, are some overweight women really this delusional?

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

cloptrop wrote: »
    Fine if it cant be a nanny state it should be fair enough for the hospital to refuse to treat fat people. Unless they pay for the whole treatment.
    :confused:

Sure by the logic we can refuse to treat gingers when they get burned in the sun? It wouldn't work in practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

token101 wrote: »

Sure by the logic we can refuse to treat gingers when they get burned in the sun? It wouldn't work in practice.

People are born ginger , not obese.

Yeah, but it's still their own fault when they get sunburnt! Grand in theory, it doesn't work in practice.

What treatment does sunburn merit?

Dressings if you get burnt bad enough, Chemo if you get skin cancer. Being fat doesn't require treatment in and of itself either!

I think you should be alowed cane people over 25 stone provided your cane is no bigger than an inch in circumference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think you should be alowed cane people over 25 stone provided your cane is no bigger than an inch in circumference
    did they unban Boondock Saints?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"Cane," that's a new euphemism for it :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Enough already.

Banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

token101 wrote: »
    Warnings of fat people? Do you think for a second that: a) the person would consent to being used as a 'You could end up like this mess' type of photo or b) that someone obese would care? You're saying that people eat because they are depressed and junk food is cheap. Is pricing a depressed person out of junk food going to fix their depression or stop them eating? It's just going to make them spend more.

Tax sugary food because people are too lazy to cook or learn to cook? Fruit and Veg are the cheapest things in the supermarket, eggs are cheap, rice is for nothing. You can get 20 chicken fillets in any good butchers for 25 quid. Frozen food and ready meals cost a bomb. It's choices that matter not the prices.

Point being: It's not society's fault people are fat, or for that matter, since the same argument is being applied to drink aswell, an alcoholic. How much did smoking go down since they posted the warnings? I've never seen someone even acknowledge them let alone put the packet down. Enough of the nanny state already.

I don't think anyone was talking about having a picture identifying an individual. Somebody's body could be used without the face.

Frozen foods don't cost a bomb anymore. In my local Super Valu there is almost always some kind of pizza on offer for €2, or wedges or burgers.

Comparing to cigarettes is not accurate. There is no alternative to cigarettes (apart from dodgy black market cigarettes which is a whole other issue).
    There is an alternative to junk food. By increasing taxes the person may be encouraged to try a lower salt/fat version of a product if the full fat version is €1 more for example.
    Cigarettes are cigarettes. You cannot substitute your fix with something else. However you could substitute your junk food with something similiar but not as unhealthy.
    e.g. if oven chips were less than chips you had to fry, low fat milk cheaper than full fat, lower sugar content sweets cheaper than high sugar content. The list is endless!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I think you should only be able to buy junk food at certain hours and in certain amounts. I also think junk should have pictures of fat people on them like cigarettes. I think it should have the jaysus taxed out of it.
    It is a disgrace that a happy meal cost just 4 euro and a big mac meal costs just 7 euro. And Id sy the tax on these being 23 per cent just like the tax on bananas would be.
    But as an adult I also think its a disgrace that people eat these foods and then if you asked them what they ate in a day they would pick the one day in a month they ate somewhat healthily and tell you it.
    It takes a few months of eating healthily to lose a decent amount of weight , im tired of someone having a day on bowls of pasta for dinner and porridge for breakfast then claiming losing weight is impossible because they are depressed and reaching for the crisps.

You must be some kind of SuperIrishWayMan !!! Your taking the price of a HappyMeal to heart now remember its supposed to be happy. Increasing taxes on fat food, Are you outta your mind ?? Do you not think people have enough on their plate (No pun intended) without having to pay even more, I eat healthily every day plus I'll eat junk in the night and there is nothing wrong with me but you want to play the Irish Way and punish and rip us all of for the sake of what you may think is the moral good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No the person who was snidely referred to as a feeder by two anti-social people doesn't remotely seem like a feeder.
    barbiegirl, you're not anywhere near BBW. If you are working on losing weight, do try and get a decent stint of exercise when you can (obviously not four plus hours of walking a day - what sort of weird advice is that?!) but an hour maybe - it feels fantastic. And build from there...

Taxing high-fat foods - even slim and healthy living people enjoy the odd bar of chocolate or cake or burger. Why should they have to pay extra for it?

Dudess wrote: »

Taxing high-fat foods - even slim and healthy living people enjoy the odd bar of chocolate or cake or burger. Why should they have to pay extra for it?

If it's just the "odd bar" then it shouldn't matter, should it?

Taxing high fat/sugar foods while lowering the tax on healthier foods would incentivize people to eat healthier. If people insist on eating unhealthily let them pay a little extra for it.

Cigarettes are taxed to fcuk in this country. As someone said already, it hasn't made any difference on the numbers who smoke. Fair enough, but at least the government are getting more money to treat those dying from smoking relates illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Did anyone see the bit on the news this evening when they showed a 1970's video clip taken from a car driving around Dublin city centre? The reporter mentioned the fact you could drive on Grafton St etc but also added his two cents and noted that the people on the street were slimmer.....

And yet I'm seeing so many people taking up running, cycling, boot camp, hill-walking, dance, doing marathons, triathlons... Heard on the radio this morning there's a type of Japanese training which had more participants recently in Dublin than its headquarters in Tokyo.
    I don't think things are as bad here as is said - I think there's a degree of saying it for the sake of it as part of the whole Irish inferiority complex thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Domo230 wrote: »
    Call me cruel if you must but if an overweight friend asked me to tell them what I thought of their weight I would be honest and tell them they are overweight. I would never try and make them feel good about being overweight as thats not the way to go about fixing the problem. Obviously I won't go slagging them off about it as that would be cruel and we all have our flaws but I think sometimes you just need to cut the BS and be honest with someone. Living in denial will get you no where.

I wish people were more brutal as it's hard to improve in any aspect of life without honest feedback. Telling everyone they are perfect is not imo the way to go about things.
    I would have agreed once but I've learned enough in my time to realise brutality don't necessarily do anything but make things worse. If you have to be that brutal then you're dealing with somebody who's clearly delusional and they need professional help either with coming to terms with their problem or the possible depression that's causing it. I mean we're talking about people who ask if they have a weight problem yet the last pair of jeans they bought was a size 18, they know they have a problem!

Pouring honey in their ear isn't the best course of action being brutal can be almost worse.

And yet I'm seeing so many people taking up running, cycling, boot camp, hill-walking, dance, doing marathons, triathlons... Heard on the radio this morning there's a type of Japanese training which had more participants recently in Dublin than its headquarters in Tokyo.
    I don't think things are as bad here as is said - I think there's a degree of saying it for the sake of it as part of the whole Irish inferiority complex thing...

http://www.independent.ie/health/health-news/irish-among-fattest-in-europe-as-our-obesity-levels-soar-2352613.html

You are obviously talking about the 1/3 of females and 1/2 of males who are not overweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

It's what I would want to hear. If I could pay someone to be brutally honest about every facet of my life, I would.

Get married.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You know your friend, the jolly fat one?

The one who constantly pokes fun at themselves and depreciates and runs themselves down?

The reason they do that is they know full well their weight is an issue so they criticize themselves first before anyone else does it

Personal experience

mikemac1 wrote: »

The one who constantly pokes fun at themselves and depreciates and runs themselves down?

The reason they do that is they know full well their weight is an issue so they criticize themselves first before anyone else does it

Personal experience

What does it matter what others say? And anyways for every one person that says something there's another 100 that think it.

Overweight people need to stop feeling sorry about themselves and using their weight as an insecurity or low esteem issue as an excuse to comfort eat or be too depressed to exercise.

Losing weight involves diet and exercise. There is no magic pill you can take. A lot of people with normal weight often find exercise and healthy dieting difficult to maintain. It's tougher for heavier people but no impossible.

Unless somebody is physically disabled by their weight there is no excuse for not doing something about it. A 30 minute walk per day could see noticeable weight loss after just a few weeks.

What does it matter what others say? And anyways for every one person that says something there's another 100 that think it.

Overweight people need to stop feeling sorry about themselves and using their weight as an insecurity or low esteem issue as an excuse to comfort eat or be too depressed to exercise.

Losing weight involves diet and exercise. There is no magic pill you can take. A lot of people with normal weight often find exercise and healthy dieting difficult to maintain. It's tougher for heavier people but no impossible.

Unless somebody is physically disabled by their weight there is no excuse for not doing something about it. A 30 minute walk per day could see noticeable weight loss after just a few weeks.

+1

Anybody who is disabled strictly by weight, ie they have got to a point where they are obese purely from overeating and under exercising and not from some other physical impairment, I'd struggle to sympathise. It's not like it's a snap decision gaining that amount of weight. It's a long, long process, and surely there's a point you realise, 'You know I can't climb the stairs without being breathless, maybe I need to sort my life out'. I don't look at smokers as victims of society, and fat people are no different.

It's your life, lose weight if you want or don't and die young. But realise, it's your fault. And you're no different to smokers, junkies, or alcoholics in the respect that the only person that can ultimately help you is yourself.

It's what I would want to hear. If I could pay someone to be brutally honest about every facet of my life, I would. Brutality is exactly what I would want to hear and if someone asks me if I think they are overweight I am going to be honest about it. If I was overweight the conversation I would want to hear would be this "your'e fat, it makes you look ugly and is very bad for your health, do this, this, this and this and you won't be".

If people don't do something about their problem (whatever it may be) then that's their choice but this way they at least know it's a problem and is something that will affect them if ignored.
    There's a big different between honesty and brutality. I can't see that you've made that distinction. I wouldn't sugar coat it if someone asked me if they were fat but my point is if they have to ask then they know it's a problem! You can't stand on a set of scales that screams 18 stone and walk away wondering if you look fat so anyone who does must have a more serious problem.
    Bulimia and anorexia are every bit as detrimental to your health as obesity and it's invariably the result of brutality!

I think I make a distinction. If they ask me if they are overweight I will tell them. That is me being honest. As I previous said I will not insult them about it because we all have our flaws. If I insulted them about it, calling them "fat mess" or other names then that would be brutal.
    But you said:
    I wish people were more brutal as it's hard to improve in any aspect of life without honest feedback.
    If calling someone a fat mess is your definition of brutal and you agree with being brutal then where is your distinction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Yes, right, 30 minutes.

I am obese, no other way to say it. I have decided last year (again) to try and loose weight.
    I have reduced my calorie intake to no more than 1500 cal a day, and I exercise 1 hour at least each day.
    I have been doing this since the beginning of October 2011. I have so far lost 6 kg.

Now, don't think I'm complaining. I have found ways of motivating myself, and have changed my diet and lifestyle to a way I hope I will be able to maintain for the rest of my life. Because I don't for one moment fool myself that I will ever be able to eat "normal" ever again, I would start piling on the pounds again in no time.

Once you have reach that kind of weight, there is no easy way back. And 30 minutes walking a day is not going to shift a gram.
    It'll help your heart a bit, but it's not going to impact the fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

I wish people were MORE brutal than they currently are. People tend to sugarcoat things far too much for my liking. That doesnt mean I want them to go completely overboard and start calling overweight people "fat messes" or anything like that.

Youre looking far too much into this
    No you made a statement then you reversed yourself I'm just trying to get your point straight. Don't try to make me look the oddball just because you can't figure out your own mind.

Youre really not getting this are you. I explained what I meant by that statement in the post above :rolleyes:
    Look just grow up and stop making a show of yourself! You said brutal and now you're going back on yourself. I brought it to your attention and you spat out your dummy like a child. I was having a genuine conversation, it appears you're unable.

I'm pretty much done being brought down to your level:rolleyes: (See I can roll my eyes too)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

I lived with a obese girl before, she went to weightwatchers and they told her she was obese. when she told me this i thought to myself great she might start excerising and get fit now. NO she said can you believe that they said i was obese. In my head i was like ya i can because you are.. but just said ya they always say that!

Then later on i heard her say to her mother on the phone that they said i was obese and heard her say I KNOW which sounds like her mother said but your not obese which i think is bad parenting and would blame her mother.. she should have the balls to say it as it is rather then telling her daughter lies.. I mean its her daughters long term health shes playing with

otto_26 wrote: »
    I lived with a obese girl before, she went to weightwatchers and they told her she was obese. when she told me this i thought to myself great she might start excerising and get fit now. NO she said can you believe that they said i was obese. In my head i was like ya i can because you are.. but just said ya they always say that!

Then later on i heard her say to her mother on the phone that they said i was obese and heard her say I KNOW which sounds like her mother said but your not obese which i think is bad parenting and would blame her mother.. she should have the balls to say it as it is rather then telling her daughter lies.. I mean its her daughters long term health shes playing with

So was she obese or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

you know what.. generally I don't like it; but if I'm jacking off to the oriental orgy n I see one.. next to a fit un ..... I might be enclined to ogle the big un instead..

Seamus wins the Royal Rumble?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

If a guy is overweight, he's a fat bastard, which would probably also be pointed out by women.

But if a woman is overweight, they are curvy and beautiful, when in reality, they are again, fat bastards.

Double standards are a load of shit.

Society has some strange leanings sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

LH Pathe wrote: »
    you know what.. generally I don't like it; but if I'm jacking off to the oriental orgy n I see one.. next to a fit un ..... I might be enclined to ogle the big un instead..

Seamus wins the Royal Rumble?! :D

Bed for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Lanaier wrote: »
    Bed for you. :)

right after I finish choppin one out to the slant :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

LH Pathe wrote: »
    right after I finish choppin one out to the slant :p

Only a matter of time before the neanderthals arrived to reduce this thread to base level. I suppose that's as close as they get to the real thing, mind :rolleyes:

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    If a guy is overweight, he's a fat bastard, which would probably also be pointed out by women.

But if a woman is overweight, they are curvy and beautiful, when in reality, they are again, fat bastards.

Double standards are a load of shit.

Society has some strange leanings sometimes.
    Huh? Overweight women are lambasted... and their weight would be pointed out by many men (seeing as you brought up that angle) - no "probably" about it. Just because the "curvy", "real women" stuff exists, doesn't mean many agree with it.

But OT: I don't get what's wrong with saying someone who's 20 stone wouldn't be happy about this - who's gonna be happy about any restrictive health problem?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At present chocolate has VAT. Cake doesn't.

Actually we should tax nutritionally poor food so people buy the better more filling stuff. Stuff with WAY too much salt, stuff with minimal protein and vitamins like crisps.

It's not as unworkable as it sounds
    Biscuits in Ireland already have 3 different VAT rates depending on what's in them. Maybe we could do a carbon tax on calories in processed food.

Perhaps like the minimum price on alcohol to stop anti social drinking. Should we have a minimum price of foodstuffs of certain kinds on the (unproven) assumption that the quality will improve ( and of curse the supermarkets won't pocket the difference :rolleyes: )

In the US corn farmers get huge subsidies so there is a glut of corn syrup in everything over there this distorts the food market worldwide. Also just after WWII a UK food company bought recipes from the US all except one were insipidly sweet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mikemac1 wrote: »
    They have to be jolly since they can't fight very well and they can't run :pac:

old hippy wrote: »
    Only a matter of time before the neanderthals arrived to reduce this thread to base level. I suppose that's as close as they get to the real thing, mind :rolleyes:
    I was going to say they were bigger than us, but not anymore.

http://www.independent.ie/health/health-news/irish-among-fattest-in-europe-as-our-obesity-levels-soar-2352613.html
    A severely obese person is likely to die two to eight years earlier than a person of normal weight.
    Well that's the pension crisis sorted then. :pac:

though we will probably be the first generation to die younger than our parents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Apart from obese women thinking they are sexy...

We do have a trend here where a lot of girls who are far to skinny believe they are sex goddesses. You only have to go out on a Sat night to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Hmmm...you see a big woman in my eyes can be beautiful BUT when i say big I mean a bit heavy not some huge beast of a lady.

I find colossal women with the numerous folds of flubber repulsive. Your not 'big & beautiful'. Your lazy & disgusting.

Those enormous women who front with the old classic cliches like 'oh im big & proud', 'takes a real man to handle me', 'its just im my genes' etc etc.....ah nah now c'mon your just a lazy glutton. C'mon now admit it? Put that cake down, ah now c'mon...put it down.....

:pac: Choc ice :pac:

By the way i find very skinny women seriously unattractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Feisar

py2006 wrote: »
    Apart from obese women thinking they are sexy...

We do have a trend here where a lot of girls who are far to skinny believe they are sex goddesses. You only have to go out on a Sat night to see it.

Them pesky wimmins, they never get the balance right!

First they came for the socialists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Feisar wrote: »
    Them pesky wimmins, they never get the balance right!

True! god love them! Its just a matter of avoiding the extremes.

Its actually extends to men in fairness too. Fat guys and skinny guys are a no no. Ya gotta be a gymbo these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

One thing I wish I was taught in school was how to cook proper food.

If parents didn't want their child doing pointless religion classes, the child could do a cookery course or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

After this thread I am of the opinion that everyone is unattractive :(

Advertisement