Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big "beautiful" women, are some overweight women really this delusional?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭PeefsPixie

Media has a lot to do with it over the past couple of years. There was always so much scandal over the stick thin models that to "make things fair" plus size models became more common. Most were fine but some were actually just obese and were glamourising being overweight. Its such a taboo thing to mention when someone is overweight that people have become more preoccupied with making themselves feel better and making others feel better about being overweight instead of encouraging people to lose the weight and become much more healthy. There will always be chubby chasers though so I guess there will always be "BBW" =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I love fat chicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Its all about perception.
    I do think some larger girls do overdo the whole big & beautiful to make themselves feel better. I have an acquantaince who floods my facebook news feed with those 'positive messages' about body image and how great it is to be big and beautiful, yet in reality I know she is practically a recluse because she is so insecure about her body.

I am 5'6" and a size 12-14 in clothes and thats too fat for me. I actually find my body disgusting at this weight even though I am within my healthy BMI. Its annoying though, I have deadly boobs when I'm carrying extra weight but they disappear when I lose it. Pity we can't pick and choose where extra weight goes :D

My sister is about 5'7" and about a size 16 in clothes but she is so completely comfortable in her own skin and couldn't care less what anybody thinks of her, her weight or how she looks. She also never says big & beautiful crap because in her own eyes she is perfect and happy as she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I love fat chicks.

"I like big butts and....." (Breaks into a song!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Shivers26 wrote: »

My sister is about 5'7" and about a size 16 in clothes but she is so completely comfortable in her own skin and couldn't care less what anybody thinks of her, her weight or how she looks. She also never says big & beautiful crap because in her own eyes she is perfect and happy as she is.

Healthy perspective I agree, but her body might think differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

stovelid wrote: »
    Whenever a mate used to describe a new girlfriend as such (or "voluptuous"), one or two of the others would cruely and silently mouth fat to each other behind his back.....

..and then try to **** her behind his back as well:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

BBW's, they're nice to, eh, look at, but i wouldnt want to go out with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I don't know what's the story with BMI to be honest.

Apparently I'm just nearing the 'unhealthy' BMI? Maybe I'm reading it wrong :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

first time i ever heard BBW used was by a clothing catalog that sold plus sized clothes.
    Some men do like heavy women as do some who like older women- This seems outside the norm but I guess to each his own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

first time i ever heard BBW used was by a clothing catalog that sold plus sized clothes.
    Some men do like heavy women as do some who like older women- This seems outside the norm but I guess to each his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

rambutman wrote: »
    Are we not more attracted to healthier looking people as a general rule?

I think this is natural selection at work. We're attracted, generally, to people we perceive as healthy i.e. they look like they have the ability to produce and care for our kids!

Of course people still love and are attracted to sick (and sick looking) people, etc but stick thin or morbidly obese is generally a turn-off. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the "healthier looking" comment.

As for the BBW term, I had brief, ehm, relations with a larger lady (that's a fair term I think). The BBW term came up - she found it kinda embaressing but wasn't totally against it. Tbh I think the OP might be getting a bit worked up over not a whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Ultimately it boils down to a boob size to belly size ratio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

WindSock wrote: »
    I thought it meant they are overweight but confident and carry it well.
    I always thought that it referred to grossly obese women who were trying to attract men that were specifically inclined towards such women. Women like these (SFW).

I would never have considered it to be used by women who were a little less slender than the average.

In general, women who naturally have a curvish figure, will carry excess weight well. Women who would be more straight than curved can sometimes actually gain a nicer figure with a little extra weight, but they usually end up looking a bit flabby and gathering all their weight in the mid-region. Women with more crazy proportions (insanely large/wide boobs and/or insanely large/wide asses) just become comically overproportioned when they put on excess weight.

Men have it a bit easier because as long as we can make ourselves look vaguely like our stomach isn't wider than our shoulders, we look OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

You know there's a cure for obesity. It's called getting off your ass and out of the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Curvy good, obese bad

• Advertisement

Sure isn't there a fetish where men love morbidly obease women and keep feeding them to get them fatter? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I don't know.
    I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand you have overweight people who eat their feelings.
    Therefore it makes sense to try to take the spotlight off people being so fat, and adding a bit of confidence in them, so that they stop the cycle of feeling fat and ugly so they comfort themselves with food.

But on the other hand, it just gives people an excuse to stay overweight and unhealthy.

There is so much focus on looks, especially thin, toned women in the media that of course women and girls feel the pressure to also look this way.
    So they try all these diets and fail, each time loosing confidence in themselves and hating how they look more and more.
    So what do they do? Comfort themselves in the only way they know how - eat.

So many women and girls are near obsessed with how they look.
    Above any intellectual, musical, artistic, sporting etc... qualities they may have, they know that looks and desirability are valued the most in society.
    Well, that is what is fed to us all 24/7 unless you live a life of solitude in a cave somewhere.

Plus, there are so many stresses in this day and age, with little teaching of healthy coping mechanisms to combat stress, so we all end up with a crutch of some kind - for many, this is food.

If the pressure is taken off women to look a certain way, and healthy coping mechanisms are taught, then they are obviously more likely to become a healthy weight naturally.

I think this is what all of this 'big is beautiful' stuff tries to accomplish - but it is not right either - to go about encouraging an unhealthy lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Sure isn't there a fetish where men love morbidly obease women and keep feeding them to get them fatter? :eek:

No, that just means they can't catch us when we run away.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Well this woman thinks she's sexy :rolleyes: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8287163/obese-woman-wants-to-become-worlds-fattest so yes some are that delusional :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

in quite a few cases, women calling themselves bbw would be a little delusional, but other than that they could just be saying it to sound funny or to make themselves feel good, and no harm in that imho.im 5"3 and just under 11stone so a size 12, im a stone overweight for my height i know this, but imho i feel happy as i am now, as long as i dont gain weight its all good, unless its in my boobs ;) whats really funny is when a girl gets taunted and called a "fat" etc by another girl who is actually bigger than her, i think that is either jealousy, a complex on their part, or something, il never know :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Laisurg wrote: »
    Well this woman thinks she's sexy :rolleyes: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8287163/obese-woman-wants-to-become-worlds-fattest so yes some are that delusional :pac:

Sure there are plently of people on that "Who wants to be an X Factor" show and its ilk who haven't a note in their heads or are actually painful to listen to, who think they're [insert relevant rockin' rocker here]. Delusional alright.

But there's no harm is someone adopting a vaguely flattering view of themselves. Sure, look at me, I have a swimmers build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

My friend's mum once called herself a milf when a bunch of us were around. The room went deathly quiet.
    If she called herself a milf i would think she is more of a cougar:D

Laisurg wrote: »

:eek:
    Imagine having to preform oral on her :rolleyes:

ohhh yea you won't be able to get that image out of your head now, enjoy the rest of your life :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

They're called feeders.

Attraction by way of health, it was once considered healthy to have meat on yr bones. This idea of healthy being thin is actually very new, and primarily only in the west. Technically, what people "Look" for in a partner is someone genetically different from themselves, which means that offspring will have better immune systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Nope, because we would all look the same! Different shapes means more variety, especially from a lads point of view - from what I've learnt, lads like a lot of different things, if we were all the exact same the 'boob men', 'arse men' and 'leg men' (to name a few) would be quite dissappointed!

I think the problem many of us have is those who flaunt a body part jerry springer style. It never comes across as classy even if they are in good shape it still can look sleazy.
    However while men like boobs , usually its bobs which don't sag which get the highest ratings,same with asses and legs.Similarly you don't tend to find many ''doublechin'' men or ''hanging belly'' men. They would tend to be viewed upon with suspicion by their fellow bird fanciers.

psychward wrote: »
    I think the problem many of us have is those who flaunt a body part jerry springer style. It never comes across as classy even if they are in good shape it still can look sleazy.
    However while men like boobs , usually its bobs which don't sag which get the highest ratings,same with asses and legs.Similarly you don't tend to find many ''doublechin'' men or ''hanging belly'' men. They would tend to be viewed upon with suspicion by their fellow bird fanciers.

Doublechin men huh, judging by how body sizes are getting larger I wouldn't be surprised if that is a turn on in a few decades ...

But yea as my very articulate ex boyfriend put it - there's a difference between 'big boobs' and 'fat boobs'. Fat boobs being just another place for the fat to go, nothing perky about them, all saggy and flabby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Fat bird's friend - "She wants to know will you shift her?"
    Man with standards - "whats she like?"
    Fat bird's friend - "She's sound.."

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Doublechin men huh, judging by how body sizes are getting larger I wouldn't be surprised if that is a turn on in a few decades ..

The idea that what men find sexually attractive in terms of body shape is determined by the trend at a particular time is a myth that I'd imagine is perpetuated by the same women that describe themselves as BBW etc.

I often here people trying to spin the 'toned fit bodies being attractive is a creation of modern media' type stuff and it's simply not true.

Aphrodite was the Goddess of Love and Beauty in ancient Greek mythology, the epitome of female sexiness. Check out how she was depicted in sculptures, look at those abs on the Venus de Milo, that was sculpted 2200 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Many women call themselves 'sexy'. How many of them are sexual?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Just like cars, some women are built for comfort, others for speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

I blame Mika

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

strobe wrote: »
    The idea that what men find sexually attractive in terms of body shape is determined by the trend at a particular time is a myth that I'd imagine is perpetuated by the same women that describe themselves as BBW etc.

I often here people trying to spin the 'toned fit bodies being attractive is a creation of modern media' type stuff and it's simply not true.

Aphrodite was the Goddess of Love and Beauty in ancient Greek mythology, the epitome of female sexiness. Check out how she was depicted in sculptures, look at those abs on the Venus de Milo, that was sculpted 2200 years ago.

But there can be a fashion on top of this. Like over skinny models today, or the Rubenesque era.

However in general men like a certain ratio of hip to waist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

It's all about the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

strobe wrote: »

But check out the women painted in the renaissance era and these days those models of contemporary beauty at that time would be deemed plump, even fat.

Its an irony that the ideal woman shape is created by the fashion industry which is dominated by gay men.

Personally I like big women, I like athletic ones as well, it truly is down to preference.

Spunge wrote: »
    It's all about the face.

The face matters, too. I thought the heavy Dawn French was good looking ( she has lost weight recently).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

44leto wrote: »
    But check out the women painted in the renaissance era and these days those models of contemporary beauty at that time would be deemed plump, even fat.

Its an irony that the ideal woman shape is created by the fashion industry which is dominated by gay men.

Personally I like big women, I like athletic ones as well, it truly is down to preference.

That's a myth. There are very few renaisance painters who painted fat women and if they did like Ruben it was usually to represent those who were rich so they were desirable as they had food to be skinny meant you were poor . In the same way that they were always pale. THe ideal womens shape is not created by gay men, most men dont like very thin models they like slim curvy women and always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

It prats like Gok Wan who try to make obese women feel it's ok to be unhealthy and overweight.

cuddly :D

That's a myth. There are very few renaisance painters who painted fat women and if they did like Ruben it was usually to represent those who were rich so they were desirable as they had food. In the same way that they were always pale. THe ideal womens shape is not created by gay men, most men dont like very thin models they like slim curvy women and always have.

However, the typical supermodel is too skinny for most men. The reasons are possibly the Gay men but also because a busty or wide-saddled woman removes focus from the clothes.

So the super model is good-looking in the face, but not the male's idea of perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

The bigger she is, the more that's there to make you puke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sexysize14

I don't understand what this discussion is about? This is obvious that it is hard to find obese person attractive, we usually think healthy people are sexy and this is normal and right.
    -but I think there is just as many ugly and sexy overweight girls as skinny or slim. Sure this is not true every slim girl is pretty or attractive, some just have ugly faces, disproportionate bodies, bad teeth or something else.. It is all about proportions and healthy looking skin, hair, nice eyes and face..

This is top model Anja Rubik :

nara140911112aaaa.jpg

-does she look sexy in your opinion? I think she looks very unhealthy and her face looks like skull/ :(

She is size 14 and she would be called fat by many :

unled1pt.jpg

I think beauty is not about size but few different things (including good taste and personality)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Ha, its like the moped joke.

Fat Chicks are like riding Mopeds, both great fun until you're mates find out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

I don't think it is as bad as the over-use of the "bubbly personality" classic.

Yeah, that one is cringe-worthy.

Was reading a trashy magazine on the train today. There was an interview with one of the members of Steps who is overweight now, like size 16/18. She trotted out that "real woman" shíte. I mean, really? Are we still on that? She was posing as Jayne Mansfield for some crappy photoshoot and said one needed boobs and a bum to portray a 50s siren.

Yeah, Jayne Mansfield was busty and had booty but her measurements were 40-21-35 when she appeared in Playboy putting her bottom half at only about size 6 to size 8, not feckin' size 16/18!

EDIT: I have heard overweight men described themselves as cuddly and loveable.

Was reading a trashy magazine on the train today. There was an interview with one of the members of Steps who is overweight now, like size 16/18. She trotted out that "real woman" shíte. I mean, really? Are we still on that? She was posing as Jayne Mansfield for some crappy photoshoot and said one needed boobs and a bum to portray a 50s siren.

Yeah, Jayne Mansfield was busty and had booty but her measurements were 40-21-35 when she appeared in Playboy putting her bottom half at only about size 6 to size 8, not feckin' size 16/18!

Completely agree with you there, to be a real woman you must be overweight.

I think it completely depents on proportions - a size 16 hour glass figure would look just as sexy as a size 8/10 hour glass figure. It's all curves at the end of the day no matter the size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

:eek:
    Imagine having to preform oral on her :rolleyes:

ohhh yea you won't be able to get that image out of your head now, enjoy the rest of your life :D
    But yea as my very articulate ex boyfriend put it - there's a difference between 'big boobs' and 'fat boobs'. Fat boobs being just another place for the fat to go, nothing perky about them, all saggy and flabby.

You have made two fine contributions to this thread, I thank you!

Larger girls who consoled themselves with "at least I have big boobs" can console themselves no more. The truth has burst out!

Seriously though, a person's health is the most important thing, looks come afterwards. There's no excuse for anyone not taking care of themselves. It comes before everything else in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I think it completely depents on proportions - a size 16 hour glass figure would look just as sexy as a size 8/10 hour glass figure. It's all curves at the end of the day no matter the size

Well, maybe if the size 16 was five foot ten it would. If they were the same height then no its not all curves some of it is fat.

You have made two fine contributions to this thread, I thank you!

Larger girls who consoled themselves with "at least I have big boobs" can console themselves no more. The truth has burst out!

Seriously though, a person's health is the most important thing, looks come afterwards. There's no excuse for anyone not taking care of themselves. It comes before everything else in my opinion.

Was just a tasteless joke.

And yes, he's an EX boyfriend for a reason, he was a prime example of an arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

EDIT: I have heard overweight men described themselves as cuddly and loveable.

Exactly, I've yet to meet a fake woman

Well, maybe if the size 16 was five foot ten it would. If they were the same height then no its not all curves some of it is fat.

height does count into it alright, I will give you that, the idea weight for someone who is say 5''2 would be considered severely underweight for someone who is 5'11.

Theres so many sides to it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Pherekydes wrote: »
    An obvious waist would be a start. i.e. a waist measurement smaller than hips and bust.

TBH, it's rare enough that waist will equal or surpass either hip or bust measurements. It'd be rare to find a WHR of 1. Even with straight up and down figures, the waist measurements will usually be less than the others. It's just that it's more dramatic and indented in more hourglass or pear-shaped figures.

• Advertisement
Advertisement