Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big "beautiful" women, are some overweight women really this delusional?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Was just a tasteless joke.

And yes, he's an EX boyfriend for a reason, he was a prime example of an arsehole.

Have to admit it made me laugh, does that make me an asshole? Nah, it's the picking fights with homeless people that does :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

Yeah, that one is cringe-worthy.

Was reading a trashy magazine on the train today. There was an interview with one of the members of Steps who is overweight now, like size 16/18. She trotted out that "real woman" shíte. I mean, really? Are we still on that? She was posing as Jayne Mansfield for some crappy photoshoot and said one needed boobs and a bum to portray a 50s siren.

Yeah, Jayne Mansfield was busty and had booty but her measurements were 40-21-35 when she appeared in Playboy putting her bottom half at only about size 6 to size 8, not feckin' size 16/18!

EDIT: I have heard overweight men described themselves as cuddly and loveable.

Ah yes, the "real woman" argument. Another one I like is the "Marilyn Monroe was curvy" line. Monroe was thin with natural bodily curves, not a 250 pounder who lived off takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

dilbert2 wrote: »
    Ah yes, the "real woman" argument. Another one I like is the "Marilyn Monroe was curvy" line. Monroe was thin with natural bodily curves, not a 250 pounder who lived off takeaways.

I hate when they say that, the women had a 23 inch waist she was small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I don't think it's good to encourage women to be fat / overweight. It doesn't have to be seen as offensive to encourage losing weight though. Obviously these women who call themselves curvy / BBW / 'real' or hourglass when they're not, are just trying to make out like they're comfortable being the way they are. it's doing no one any good to pretend like being overweight is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The most offensive implication is that they think that a girl who exercises, eats well and is slim is less "real". Now, there may be substantially less of her, so in a very literal sense she may be "less woman", but it's an odd form of body snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sexysize14

Do you think this is just rule number one - the slimmer, the more beautiful?
    What about two examples I've posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Eh, the whole 'big beautiful woman' attraction is a fetish/kink people have, there is also a 'big handsome man' fetish.

I dunno, while I agree that being grossly over weight is unhealthy, from a purely scientific standpoint there are no proven bad health consequences for weighing a few extra pounds. So people need to chill out. And no I'm not fat, so this is an unbiased opinion.

sexysize14 wrote: »
    Do you think this is just rule number one - the slimmer, the more beautiful?
    What about two examples I've posted?

I think both those girls are not very attractive esp the one with anorexia. THe other one is fat, sorry. The fat one does look better then the one who looks like she is dying so does that mean its attractive to be fat?

Sure, most men would prefer a slim woman to a fat woman.

But if the fat isn't shifting, would you not rather a confident fat woman to a moany fat woman.

To hell with what you look like, if everyone with an image issue (and yes I know there's health to think about too) went on about how they feel disgusting, I'd jump off a cliff from the agony of having to listen to it.

I could do with losing a few pounds. I'm upping my exercise and re-evaluating my diet (as I do every time I notice my weight is slipping and it always ends up fine), but while I'm a bit soft around the edges I'm not going to go around dragging my self esteem behind me like a cold dead body in a bag. I'm fixing the problem and in the mean time I'm not going to start hating myself. I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping positive.

Obviously I'm not really addressing morbidly obese people whose confidence is keeping them in denial, nor am I addressing the issue of someone who's just genuinely a vain a*sehole. I just mean overweight women who still think they're attractive.

Eh, the whole 'big beautiful woman' attraction is a fetish/kink people have, there is also a 'big handsome man' fetish.

I dunno, while I agree that being grossly over weight is unhealthy, from a purely scientific standpoint there are no proven bad health consequences for weighing a few extra pounds. So people need to chill out. And no I'm not fat, so this is an unbiased opinion.

We are not really talking about a few extra pounds overweight though, many if not most self-described bbws could technically be classified as and considered to be morbidly obese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Siuin wrote: »
    You know there's a cure for obesity. It's called getting off your ass and out of the fridge.

Charming!

Overweight isn't good, and I'm not overweight myself, but seriously, where is people's empathy?

The fat one does look better then the one who looks like she is dying so does that mean its attractive to be fat?

No it doesn't. I am size 14 like the girl which you think is fat and I am 100% sure I am more fit and healthy then many skinny girls I know. My hair and skin are healthy and I eat healthy, I exercise and to be slim I have to starve myself.
    I should lose some weight maybe, but I never eat any fast food and processed food and I am aware what is healthy in general.
    I just don't get how you can divide women like this, everyone is different and I know I do look better then some skinny women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I don't understand what this discussion is about? This is obvious that it is hard to find obese person attractive, we usually think healthy people are sexy and this is normal and right.
    -but I think there is just as many ugly and sexy overweight girls as skinny or slim. Sure this is not true every slim girl is pretty or attractive, some just have ugly faces, disproportionate bodies, bad teeth or something else.. It is all about proportions and healthy looking skin, hair, nice eyes and face..

This is top model Anja Rubik :

nara140911112aaaa.jpg

-does she look sexy in your opinion? I think she looks very unhealthy and her face looks like skull/ :(

She is size 14 and she would be called fat by many :

unled1pt.jpg

I think beauty is not about size but few different things (including good taste and personality)

I don't think that is a size 14 at all, maybe an American 14 at a stretch.:confused:

I don't think that is a size 14 at all, maybe an American 14 at a stretch.:confused:

I agree, at least 16, but still I think she does look healthy.

No it doesn't. I am size 14 like the girl which you think is fat and I am 100% sure I am more fit and healthy then many skinny girls I know. My hair and skin are healthy and I eat healthy, I exercise and to be slim I have to starve myself.
    I should lose some weight maybe, but I never eat any fast food and processed food and I am aware what is healthy in general.
    I just don't get how you can divide women like this, everyone is different and I know I do look better then some skinny women.

She is no size 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

I'm also a size 12-14 girl, around 5ft 4in in height. My BMI is high but I have curves so it balances out.

I don't eat take aways, fried foods, microwave meals, and most sweet things. I have a healthy lifestyle (go walking everyday) and if I wanted to loose a bit of weight I could but I'm perfectly happy the way I am.

Sure, most men would prefer a slim woman to a fat woman.

But if the fat isn't shifting, would you not rather a confident fat woman to a moany fat woman.

To hell with what you look like, if everyone with an image issue (and yes I know there's health to think about too) went on about how they feel disgusting, I'd jump off a cliff from the agony of having to listen to it.

I could do with losing a few pounds. I'm upping my exercise and re-evaluating my diet (as I do every time I notice my weight is slipping and it always ends up fine), but while I'm a bit soft around the edges I'm not going to go around dragging my self esteem behind me like a cold dead body in a bag. I'm fixing the problem and in the mean time I'm not going to start hating myself. I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping positive.

Obviously I'm not really addressing morbidly obese people whose confidence is keeping them in denial, nor am I addressing the issue of someone who's just genuinely a vain a*sehole. I just mean overweight women who still think they're attractive.

Many of these so-called bbws want a good-looking and athletic men when they are looking for a date. Again, this goes back to the illusions that they are "hot" and quiet the catch, as opposed to been considered unattractive by the opposite sex - hence the reason many of them naively assume that they can pull good looking and healthy men despite the clear logic that any such man is going to go for the good looking and athletic women in nearly every case.

BBWs because of their unusual belief in their personal hotness often try and bag the good looking blokes, a little ironic no?

tatabubbly wrote: »
    My BMI is high but I have curves so it balances out.

what exactly does that mean?

I dont think BBW refers to people who are a size 12/14. we are talking much bigger here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I don't understand what this discussion is about? This is obvious that it is hard to find obese person attractive, we usually think healthy people are sexy and this is normal and right.
    -but I think there is just as many ugly and sexy overweight girls as skinny or slim. Sure this is not true every slim girl is pretty or attractive, some just have ugly faces, disproportionate bodies, bad teeth or something else.. It is all about proportions and healthy looking skin, hair, nice eyes and face..

This is top model Anja Rubik :

nara140911112aaaa.jpg

-does she look sexy in your opinion? I think she looks very unhealthy and her face looks like skull/ :(

She is size 14 and she would be called fat by many :

unled1pt.jpg

I think beauty is not about size but few different things (including good taste and personality)

I agree good post but lets not forget about Christine, Sophie Dahl as well but I think she has slimmed down of late.

http://www.travelandlivingchannel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Christina-Hendricks-Measurements-230x300.jpg

It means that since I was 15 I've had massive hips and boobies.. All the dieting in the world is not going to change that.

My BMI is high because of this. I've tried in vain to starve myself when I was in college because I wanted to be skinny and "gorgeous".

I'm not going to get any skinnier any time soon. I've tried. I've been the same weight for the last 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

She's got big Knockers!

BBWs because of their unusual belief in their personal hotness often try and bag the good looking blokes, a little ironic no?

Well I wasn't pontificating, just threw in an opinion (not a very strong one at that).

And no, I wouldn't call it ironic. Foolish yes.

So you're bothered by the fact they punch above their weight? If they're going to be turned down every time then I don't see why you should be bothered by it. Anyway there's many a skinny fella down the pub who punches well beyond his weight, but I wouldn't hold it against him.

She's got big Knockers!

LOL!

I'm just trying to get the point across, I'm only a size 12-14. However due to the media and my own insecurities, I think I'm a hippo.

I know I'm gorgeous :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I couldn't give a flying fuck what size someone is.

Even if they are massive & think they're God's gift.

What never ceases to amaze me though is how hung up some people can get on trivial things like this that have absolutely no bearing on their lives whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Can there not be a happy medium between fat and skinny. Tits are important.

What never ceases to amaze me though is how hung up some people can get on trivial things like this that have absolutely no bearing on their lives whatsoever.

True, but the implication that someone who isn't overweight isn't real is an irritating one.

LOL!

I'm just trying to get the point across, I'm only a size 12-14. However due to the media and my own insecurities, I think I'm a hippo.

I know I'm gorgeous :D

I wasn't referring to sizes 12-14, or women who are a few pounds overweight. I was referring to obese women, in particular those who believe they are hot and god's gift to men, when they are in fact either bordering on morbid obesity, or are in fact morbidly obese. I was more referring to women who actually believe in and go along with the sort of cringeworthy and laughable sh!te in the image below.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m185/Smile9485/Skinnygirlsareforwimps9.jpg

It means that since I was 15 I've had massive hips and boobies.. All the dieting in the world is not going to change that.

My BMI is high because of this. I've tried in vain to starve myself when I was in college because I wanted to be skinny and "gorgeous".

I'm not going to get any skinnier any time soon. I've tried. I've been the same weight for the last 3 years.

but what's that got to do with BMI? :confused:

I wasn't referring to sizes 12-14, or women who are a few pounds overweight. I was referring to obese women, in particular those who believe they are hot and god's gift to men, when they are in fact either bordering on morbid obesity, or are in fact morbidly obese. I was more referring to women who actually believe in and go along with the sort of cringeworthy and laughable sh!te in the image below.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m185/Smile9485/Skinnygirlsareforwimps9.jpg

Why do you care so much?

Why does this shit bother you?

Have you really nothing else to be worried about?

If all the BBW references in the world suddenly dissapeared tomorrow, what other ridiculous thing would you find to obsess about?

• Advertisement

but what's that got to do with BMI? :confused:

BMI is height x weight and doesn't consider body shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Giruilla wrote: »
    Women being slightly bigger than the average women doesn't stop them being beautiful.

Its more of a problem with you that you can't see that.
    Thought BBW meant obese rather than slightly bigger than average?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have a friend. He says: woman has to be big and healthy! There is nothing sexy in skinny woman! Just bones and skin...

His wife is on a chubby side and from inside sources ( misses is spying for me :) ) they had gigidi 4 times in 1 year...

So yeah right... He forgot his portable hard drive at my place. I found 60gb of pron there and not a single bbw or chubby lol.

If my friend or herself will spy on me, please don't kill me for this post lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

OP is basically saying women he finds unattractive shouldnt feel good about themselves.

Well done you.

Even if they are massive & think they're God's gift.

there are infinite things people talk about / get bothered about that have no bearing on their lives.
    BMI is height x weight and doesn't consider body shape.

yeah but that's my point, what has BMI got to do with shape then? if she's a certain weight it's because of the weight she is, nothing to do with the shape :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I have a friend. He says: woman has to be big and healthy! There is nothing sexy in skinny woman! Just bones and skin...

His wife is on a chubby side and from inside sources ( misses is spying for me :) ) they had gigidi 4 times in 1 year...

So yeah right... He forgot his portable hard drive at my place. I found 60gb of pron there and not a single bbw or chubby lol.

If my friend or herself will spy on me, please don't kill me for this post lol.

He only has sex 4 times a year with his missus?

Why do you care so much?

Why does this shit bother you?

Have you really nothing else to be worried about?

If all the BBW references in the world suddenly dissapeared tomorrow, what other ridiculous thing would you find to obsess about?

Why do you care that he cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

cause he is moaning about it on boards and no one likes a moaning michael

Because I why enjoy reading After Hours is for the craic & the odd bit of serious discussion dispersed by the craic.

What annoys me about it is the "let's bash the fatties / social welfare recipients / travellers / etc " threads that pop up here on a regular basis.

They are the type of threads that just make me think... "for the love of God, will you please just shut the fuck up?"

cause he is moaning about it on boards and no one likes a moaning michael

So a moaning michael makes you a saaaaaad panda?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Why would anyone care if an obese woman thinks she is God's gift to men.

Why would anyone let that bother them?

Let them off, they aren't hurting anyone. Who gives a flying f*ck if an obese woman actually believes she is sexy or not???

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I often get annoyed at first when I hear obese women saying things like this as it seems like they're just avoiding the work of losing weight and instead pretending to consider themselves attractive in order to avoid losing the weight.

But I ultimately feel sorry for them, as often they're obviously insecure about their looks and describing themselves as "bubbly" or "big and beautiful" is simply a defence mechanism.

At the end of the day though, whether they're insecure or genuinely consider themselves attractive, that's their business and I don't really get bothered by them saying things like that.

Except when it pops up on my facebook newsfeed :pac:.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pretty much this. I have personal preferences and that's all they are personal preferences. I know guys who like bigger women, even women cruising off the rocks of obese. They don't like thin women(and no I'm not talking about anorexics). So what, there are enough to go around. If you like thin, then go for a thin woman and if you like heavier then go for that. The only issue I could see is going out with ones preference and the other person changes radically, from laziness or other issues. As well as the commonly held one where the woman gets larger it can sometimes go the other way. Though going larger seems to be more the norm. Now that would put me right off TBH. The "I'm slimming down for my wedding dress, only to balloon afterwards" people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Common enough to see the obese women try to slyly fatten up their fit sexy friends, "Ah come on, Have a bite, You'll waste away to nothing"..:p

I often get annoyed when I hear obese women saying things like this as it seems like they're just avoiding the work of losing weight and instead pretending to consider themselves attractive in order to avoid losing the weight.

But I ultimately feel sorry for them, as often they're obviously insecure about their looks and describing themselves as "bubbly" or "big and beautiful" is simply a defence mechanism.

At the end of the day though, whether they're insecure or genuinely consider themselves attractive, that's their business and I don't really get bothered by them saying things like that.

Except when it pops up on my facebook newsfeed :pac:.

Isn't getting annoyed getting bothered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Russian with a bean pole is a crap shot: bbw anyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Why would anyone care if an obese woman thinks she is God's gift to men.

Why would anyone let that bother them?

It bothers you when you are trying to talk to their mate, yet some "gods gift to men" blimp with more orange than the sun in a tiny "figure hugging" dress interferes. Well according to some.

Isn't getting annoyed getting bothered?

You're right, I should've specified that I get briefly annoyed when I initially see or hear statements like that, but I don't get hung up on them,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I went out over the years with "skinny" and "fat" women. The only unhappy ones were the ones who obsessed about their weight. The rest were quite happy with themselves & that's why I loved them; their confidence.

And if a so-called mate guffawed or made a comment that was derogatory; well - often as not they were single. Go figure.

• Advertisement

It bothers you when you are trying to talk to their mate, yet some "gods gift to men" blimp with more orange than the sun in a tiny "figure hugging" dress interferes. Well according to some.

I think a lot of women could say similar things about men chatting them up in an annoying manner, in fairness.

Advertisement