Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big "beautiful" women, are some overweight women really this delusional?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Didnt realise you knew her. I just saw her stuffing whole pizzas into her gob, i shouldnt have jumped to conclusions.
    Maybe look past the simplistic pizza stuffing and ask why she is doing this? Ask why she is so extreme and unusual? Ask what is behind a mentality that is akin to a suicide attempt by food? It's not as simple as stuffing the face. That's the symptom and with the obvious result, but not the cause. "Stuffing whole pizzas into her gob" is a banal Daily Mail headline, not an explanation.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Her physician said she had a severe thyroid problem which is not a complete excuse but goes part of the way to explaining how it got so out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jaysus! Huge prob of overeating in Texan cities though - all-you-can-eat places, eating competitions, massive portions, people drive everywhere, gets too hot to exercise. Not saying these are justified but they explain it partially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 chloexxcxx

Leave fat people alone... They have enough on their plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Veles wrote: »
    I find some of these comments here rather distasteful tbh

We rollin', they hatin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

dresden8 wrote: »
    We rollin', they hatin'.

They rollin' surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

They rollin' surely?

No "We".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What annoys me more is the use of the word fat when it should be obese.
    Nah, obese is playing for sympathy with a made-up medical condition involving the mouth and ending with the big jiggly belly and droopy boobs and gargantuan buttocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

to be honest its all about the ankles, if she is top heavy but the ankles look good im der.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

I dont think there is anything honourable about a woman letting herself get into that condition in the first place . Obesity should not be awarded , It's as good as giving a fat person a hamburger . you may aswell be telling them to go kill themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Kaching wrote: »
    Obesity should not be awarded

I don't think it is.

I don't think it is.

I think in some cases it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

You have to take pride in your body before you can change it surely.

I have no problem with someone ending up fat, smoking, drinking, with emotional problems down stuck with something destructive or damaging for whatever reason as long as their working to better themselves I wouldn't hate on someone, or consider not dating them unless its way off into the spectrum... as in they are morbidly obese to the point where they can't for walks with me etc., they are a chain smoker, drinking too much, not able to manage a relationship.

There is no problem with someone on a dating site being upfront and saying this is who I am, not that you would take pride in your weight issue but its who you are at the moment, its pride in who you are where you're at and with other things you wouldnt be as upfront but eh you're hardly able to pretend youre not fat and it fends off the people who are really bothered by it

Women are meant to carry twice as much body fat as men, but that still isnt a lot, your natural body shape is not a flaw.

Something that bothers me though are the people who will argue being obese doesn't mean you're not healthy and people who want to gain weight to impress men.

Oh weight and society what a mind fúck.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Theres a reward for you if you find a case of an award

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Deki wrote: »
    I guess I just don't understand why there needs to be a discussion. Why do some people feel it necessary to be in other peoples business? I don't know what the idea is. Perfection? I've never seen perfection. Who are these people that set their selves up as the judges. Credentials Please?

Have you see the healtcare budget int his country ? Obese people get sick more often therefore they make up more of the cost, therfore taxes and insurance premiums are higher therefore its everyones business. Simple.
    Deki wrote: »
    I think obesity is dangerous to your health as is being extremely underweight, as is excessive drinking, drugging and this is not just drugs of an illegal nature prescribed drugs are still drugs. Being in the sun too much is a danger, pollution of the environment is a danger, stress and depression are dangers to your health. Why are you just concerning yourself with obesity? Is it because being fat is not your problem?

The difference is - there are public health messages against excessive drinking, drugging, gettgin too much sun, stress and even depression. Even with anorexia its acceptable to have interventions, have someone admitted medically etc. But if you tell a fat person they eat too much......woah....you are being fattist. Fact is obesity probably costs as much to society as any of those things and is a major public health problem. Even doctors now are being told how to do their jobs - check out something called "health at every size" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056462638

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Yay! Yet another thread delivering the ''bombshell'' that being overweight is unhealthy and any big woman that is happy with her weight is delusional!:rolleyes: Never heard that one before!

The innovation and originality displayed in the thinly-veiled slagging of the overweight arguments here is of course stellar, as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Each to their own as they say.

Speaking as someone who has been an overweight to obese woman, I know that some people find that look attractive. More than one would credit in fact, many just don't admit to it!

However much as one consoles oneself that they are still attractive with mantras such as ""I'm curvy", "men want real women", there is no hiding the fact that a grossly overweight woman is not generally content in life.They may pretend they are but speaking from experience, I've envied normal to genuinely 'curvy' femine figures.

The reality is, you're fitness and health is compromised with every stone you are above a healthy weight. You look and feel less attractive.

Those facts prompted me to reach a healthy weight which I'm maintaining. I'm still not 'skinny' nor ever intend to be I'm but a truer, heathier definition of
    'curvy'.

Theres nothing healthy about the anorexic look either ,
    If you ask me its about finding a healthy medium to suit the persons frame and that but being morbidly obese is not "big and beautiful " and theres no 2 ways about that .
    then again I guess they have to make themselves feel better somehow

• Advertisement

The difference is - there are public health messages against excessive drinking, drugging, gettgin too much sun, stress and even depression. Even with anorexia its acceptable to have interventions, have someone admitted medically etc. But if you tell a fat person they eat too much......woah....you are being fattist. Fact is obesity probably costs as much to society as any of those things and is a major public health problem. Even doctors now are being told how to do their jobs - check out something called "health at every size" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056462638

Wasn't there a health campaign against obesity lately, though? "Stop the Spead", about eating healthier and losing weight?There was a TV ad with some Nordie guy eating a crap dinner that his mam had made for him. I think the whole point was that he was in denial about his weight, and had to cop on, yadda yadda.

I've never once heard anyone being referred to as a 'fattist' for pointing out that somebody was on the large side. In fact, I think it's far more socially acceptable to make fun of/criticize the overweight than the underweight... I've been very skinny before and now I'm slightly overweight (although I'm working on it), I can say that I defintely received far more critical comments about being overweight than underweight. It's like people think they have a right to comment on your body, because, y'know, you're a fattie so you should put up with with criticism. I don't know where this attitude of walking on eggshells around fat people exists, because I sure as hell haven't encountered it- the exact opposite, in fact.

Although it is easy to assume that's the case if you're not being judged on your weight everyday.

Those Safefood ads are obnoxious. I do think that HAES initiative is a load of patronising crap too though. Doctors should be able to approach excess weight in a frank manner, so long as they're not rude about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

This is one of the better threads I've read in a long time. Those who are claiming this thread is redundant or a waste of time should probably put the crisps and coke away and do a few laps around the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I think in this case you are confusing "awarded" with "rewarded".

guitarzero wrote: »
    This is one of the better threads I've read in a long time. Those who are claiming this thread is redundant or a waste of time should probably put the crisps and coke away and do a few laps around the estate.

not to mention tucking in the flab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lumjm

untrue! Im underweight at 6st 11lb, but as I've already said I've never understood people's obsession with commenting on/slagging overweight strangers? Why is it your business to tell them to lose weight? If you don't find it attractive that's your business. I don't go around forcing my tastes on others, it's weird.

Dudess wrote: »
    Those Safefood ads are obnoxious. I do think that HAES initiative is a load of patronising crap too though. Doctors should be able to approach excess weight in a frank manner, so long as they're not rude about it.

Agree 100 %. I've not heard of this HAES thing, but it does seem a bit ridiculous as it is not healthy to be "at every size" and doctors should be able to point this out. The Safefood ads are a bit patronising though, but that attitude is par for the course when discussing the overweight. >>>
    guitarzero wrote: »
    not to mention tucking in the flab

This may blow your minds, but contrary to popular belief, fat people do not eat crisps and drink Coke all day. And Kaching's charming comment kinda undermines his/her whole "Fat people are rewarded" routine.

Actually it doesn't , and judging by your outrage I'm sensing we've touched a nerve

Not outraged, just enjoying pointing out bullsh1t when I see it. :)

You make a statement implying that there is some sort of privelage/reward to being fat and then make a cheap comment about fat people... do you not see the irony in that?

The people who complain about fat people being protected from criticism are usually the first ones to make jokes at their expense. They try to hide behind the "but being fat is unhealthy!" (which is is) statement but once you scrape underneath that what they really want to say is something along the lines of your 'flab' comment.

I'm sorry but I just really don't like fatness .

None of my friends are fat . I am totally against it because there is no need of that this day in age for god sake counselling would cost much less on the health service than obesity would . It shouldn't just be another social norm . It's selfish on someones family to have to stand by and be expected to sit by and watch them eat themselves to death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

I want to tell you a story.
    about a women i know.
    she ain`t exactly pretty.
    she ain`t exactly small.
    but when it came to lovin.
    you could say she got it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

(re:Kaching)

I really find it hard to believe anyone who is fat has made a conscious decision to become fat. Perhaps you are right to choose your friends on this superficial basis and not on personality or their ability to be a friend. I think there is a little confusion here between morbidly obese and overweight. You have a right to be whoever you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Curvy women > Twigs.

It's important to distinguish between obesity and those who just aren't thin. The best women are those in the middle ground between fat and skinny.

The great is the number of women in that category who want to get thinner and lower their attractiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I want to tell you a story.
    about a women i know.
    she ain`t exactly pretty.
    she ain`t exactly small.
    but when it came to lovin.
    you could say she got it all.
    Whole lotta Rosie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think the only time when non-fat people criticising overweight people might be understandable might be when overweight people not only claim to be proud of being overweight and in denial of its ill-effects, but spread that idea through social networking, potentially negatively influencing people who might want to lose weight.
    But even then, it's really none of their business, so I don't see why people get so bothered by the lifestyles of strangers.

Even when people claim to be proud of being overweight, I'm sure in reality they're aware of the health risks, so I really don't think there's much need for people to inform others of the health risks.

I personally don't find excess weight physically attractive, and if a loved one were unhealthily overweight I might have a word with them out of concern for their health or underlying emotional issues that might be making them overeat.

But I don't care about the weight of people I don't know, and I think people who get hung up on mocking or criticising others for their weight, be their targets obese or skinny, have issues of their own and are looking for a way to look down on others to make themselves feel better.

I chose my friends based on beliefs and values , so given my beliefs it would be hipocritical of me to befriend someone morbidly obese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Jesus wept! Loving the depth of character on display here! To be obese is definitely not a good thing, but to dismiss or think lowly of someone merely by judging them on size is nothing short of shocking. It never fails to amaze me how infuriatingly shallow people are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I chose my friends based on beliefs and values , so given my beliefs it would be hipocritical of me to befriend someone morbidly obese

Would you befriend someone with anorexia?

I'm sorry but I just really don't like fatness .

None of my friends are fat . I am totally against it because there is no need of that this day in age for god sake counselling would cost much less on the health service than obesity would . It shouldn't just be another social norm . It's selfish on someones family to have to stand by and be expected to sit by and watch them eat themselves to death

But there is a difference in saying what you're saying here ( which is mostly true... except for the 'social norm' thing, I don't think being fat is a 'norm', nor do most people, I beleive), and just making cheap shots at fat people and hiding behind the health reasons.

The whole complaint about not being able to criticize the overweight...It's a bit like people who complain about people not being able to say the 'N' word to black person if they're white but black people can say it to each other ( not trying to say people who criticize fatness are as bad as racists!)... why would you want to call someone the 'n' word? And why would you want to say stuff like "Put away the Mars bar, fattie!" to an overweight person anyway? I mean, what do people get out of being horrible to a fat person? A chance to feel better about themselves, by pointing out the most obvious of flaws in somebody else?

Says more about them than the overweight person, tbh.

What about somebody who wasn't morbidly obese, just a bit overweight? And perhaps they used to be skinny? Too many variables there, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Do they have to fill out a questionnaire to get on your friends list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Being morbidly obese is not a belief, and that's hypocritical by the way.

No ! I would like to think of my mates as having the same interests an goals as myself

I could have referred to it as a value either

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

trying to justify your superficial beliefs. bravo.

in that case, when you watch the t.v. do you change the channel when someone fat comes on??

Lol! I have friends who are obese - it's ok Kaching, people don't point and laugh, and I haven't caught the obesity. ;)

• Advertisement

No but I'm trying to figure out why you're all so eager to defend the morbidly obese

No but I'm trying to figure out why you're all so eager to defend the morbidly obese

Why are you so eager to attack them?

They can live what way they want but I'll be damned if I allow myself get close to another person who is intent on eating themselves to death

Nobody is defending the morbidly obese. I , for one, am merely pointing out how dishonest it is to claim to be only commenting on the ''health problems'' of the overweight (as if most people are unaware of these already), when actually what you really want to do is make crass remarks about their appearance.

They can live what way they want but I'll be damned if I allow myself get close to another person who is intent on eating themselves to death

No-one's asking you to. And if someone close to you started to get overweight you could talk to them about it. No need to make bad jokes about overweight people on here. I don't see what that achieves.

Anyway, you hit the nail on the head, "They can live what way they want." Why not just leave it at that?
    I think that's what lots of people here are saying: not that it's fine to be overweight, but that it's other people's concerns and they can live how they want and believe what they want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement