Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you buy the paper?

• 14-11-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭

The GFs parents always pop out early on a Sunday to get the paper. I think we are all together too lazy in my household. Sometimes there isn't even a paper bought.

I think its a nice ritual but it's dying out with the intertubes.

Thoughts?

(any body under 25 regularly buy a paper on Sunday or any other day of the week?)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No. It's an absolute waste of paper and ink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

No, the only time I've ever bought a paper was to look for places to rent or cars to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Might occasionally buy one during the week but Sunday papers seem to be the preserve of older people and those with too much(/money) time on their hands.
    o1s1n wrote: »

In a week my Mum will buy at least one sunday paper (despite moaning about what a pile of crap it is) two local rags and six daily papers. Dunno how anyone has the time, money or bin space for all that shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Pint of Plain and the Irish Times crossword. :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I buy 2 papers on a Sunday, love to just sit and relax flicking through them in front of the fire.

Oh, I'm not under 25 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

ya i still but the Herald

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

I love Sunday mornings with the papers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Nope, not bothered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Buy the Irish Times Monday-Friday, but my dad also reads it so it's handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

I don't have time to read a full newspaper on weekdays so I catch up by reading the Times from cover to cover each Sunday. I like to know what's going on in the world and it's something I will always do, regardless of all the technology in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Sligo Weekender on a Tuesday. Otherwise, I have After Hours to inform me of anything inportant, :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭DontBanMe

Nope. Bunch of biased bulls**t and waste of paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

DontBanMe wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Used buy the mirror most days when i was younger ,but got sick of the rubbish tabloid journalism and the obsession with "celebs"

would probably buy the irish indo but at 2 euro its not worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

newspapers are only still in existence for the computer illiterates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

If ny tubes are down i buy the times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

There's copies of the times and indo at work to read; and the web sorts out the weekends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I buy the guardian sometimes....

Under 25...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I prefer having a paper in my hands rather than reading off a computer screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

My parents buy the paper everyday, without it they would have to find a new way to light the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I read it online, guardian have a really good ipad app.
    The only thing missing is the paper smell :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I agree with the grouch, I can see paper media going the way of the record shop, no one will be arsed unless "there is an app for that" ....

In 5 years our grannies will be reading out of their i-pads/kindle/phone ....

(the way most of us younger generation consume media anyhow)

Print media will go back underground, and fall into the wrong hands... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

used to try buy the irishtimes every day but cant afford it now.
    find i dont really bother with it online any more, too much misery these last few years. do spend a lot of time on the guardian though.

Still, i would worry about the future of journalism, i read a while back that the guardian loses 150,00 pounds a week. i cant imagine how badly the irish papers are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

o1s1n wrote: »
    DontBanMe wrote: »

Every product in the world is biased by those pushing it. And how is it a waste of paper when it's in demand and used by people to read the news? Not everyone enjoys staring at a screen 24/7 and paper and ink is much more easily recycled than mobile phones, games consoles and mp3 players -yet no-one complains about the waste they create!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Print is Dead
    /Spengler

I get the Irish Times and the Guardian on my Kindle, pinko liberal that I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I only like to read stuff that affirms my worldview so I use the internet only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Never. I get all my news from various websites and phone apps. TheJournal.ie is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

If I'm off on a Sunday then I love buying the Sunday paper and snuggling up in bed and reading through them. Doesn't happen too often though...:(

I'm under 25.

Day to day, I read the headlines online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

RSS feeds and Google reader at work tbh, will read a paper left lying around if I'm bored and someone else buys it, but I don't and won't. Under 25 too.

Advertisement