Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant left outstanding esb bill - help

Options
  • 14-11-2011 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi - I would really appreciate a steer on this from someone in esb.
    A tenant who i thought was very responsible etc.... has run off from my house owing me rent and most relevantly here a big outstanding esb bill.
    The bill is for around a grand and is in her name (which it has been since day one).

I now have new (good) tenants and want to change the name on the bill and obviously get them to start paying it.
    I'm thinking of changing provider as I'm really worried that ESB will try and get me to pay the debt (even though it's in her name)
    Should I just ring in the change in name? or should i switch to a new provider altogether

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Oceanwaver,

If the account is in the tenant's name, ultimately it is her responsibility (and not yours) to clear the outstanding debt. For further (more technical) information, see our General Terms & Conditions here (points 6 & 11 being of particular relevance).

In a case like this, changing the name on the account is as straightforward as it normally would be, with one exception: it is preferable for a lease-agreement to be supplied for the new occupant as proof of tenancy. And for your own peace of mind, it would be best if the tenant agreed in advance to pay their bill via direct debit.

For general information on the moving-in process, see here (detailing all the requirements for setting up a new account or for transferring an existing one). I would also recommend you set up what's called a 'landlord agreement' for the property, which means that any time there is nobody registered to the property, it would then default back to your name. This wouldn't mean that you would be liable for charges accrued by a tenant; it is merely a safeguard against disconnection, and all the associated costs and inconveniences that follow when a property is disconnected.

I'm assuming from your post that the property still has power?

Please feel free to PM me further details if you would like me to help you with this query. You also have the option of calling 1850 372 372 (open 8am - 8pm Mon-Sat) or emailing us.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SearchExpert

Thanks a million David - really helpful. I'll set the new girls up and will send in the lease agreement as proof
    amazed that someone from esb hasn't been on to cut this off - there hasn't even been a letter demanding payment or anything?! Very strange

One last question David - I have a copy of the last bill with the old tenants details - if I register online can I then transfer the new account online to the new tenants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi there,

David is actually out of the office today. :)

Just to clarify: do you mean if you set up online billing?

Regards,
    Una

yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again SearchExpert,

I was just double-checking that for you, but it is not possible to change the name on the account via setting up online billing - only contacting us directly.

You could do so by sending me the details by private message here if you like? Otherwise, as David suggested, contacting our customer service team by telephone or email. Customer service is open between 8am and 8pm Monday to Saturday, and we are here on Boards.ie until 6pm Monday to Friday.

All the best :)
    Una

Advertisement