Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a plug - two black wires

Options
  • 14-11-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭

I'm put a plug onto a fish pump, but the two wires coming from it are both black, not blue and brown. Is there any way to know which is neutral and live?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Is there a white stripe down one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

paddymick wrote: »
    Is there a white stripe down one of them

No, unfortunately both are identical.

have you any more details about the pump?

I have 3 differant pumps in my tank and they are all brown and blue.

It's a cheap chinese one I think! No big deal if I can't put a plug on it, I probably should get a better one anyway. The brand is Sobo.
    The old one I had had blue and brown wires too, this one is just weird.

Im not familiar with it but usually when the wires are the same colour and its not clearly stated which is which then polarity shouldn`t be an issue.

• Advertisement

Im not familiar with it but usually when the wires are the same colour and its not clearly stated which is which then polarity shouldn`t be an issue.

Ah, excellent - so hopefully I can't do any damage by wiring it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

fjon wrote: »
    I'm put a plug onto a fish pump, but the two wires coming from it are both black, not blue and brown. Is there any way to know which is neutral and live?

Are you sure it's a 220v pump?

Are they doubly insulated?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Two black wires sounds like a DC pump to me...

Be careful in case you fry the pump with mains voltage if it is not an AC pump..

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Any 230v AC single phase item such as vacuum cleaners, washing machines, tv`s etc, will still work perfectly irrespective of polarity.

Can you put up a photo of the pump, and expecially the cable end. A others said, check it is a 230v item.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Can you put up a photo of the pump, and expecially the cable end. A others said, check it is a 230v item.

Sure, will take some photos and put them up here - just want to make sure before I end up frying something!
    Just to be clear, it's an air pump, and I'm fairly sure it's 220v, but will double-check when I get back.

Sure, will take some photos and put them up here - just want to make sure before I end up frying something!
    Just to be clear, it's an air pump, and I'm fairly sure it's 220v, but will double-check when I get back.

If it is a 230v pump, which way around you connect it wont matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

google "double insulated symbol"

If it has this symbol, its allowed to connect anyway around.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Any 230v AC single phase item such as vacuum cleaners, washing machines, tv`s etc, will still work perfectly irrespective of polarity.

It will work, but is there not a danger that you could be damaging electrical components over time?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

whizbang wrote: »
    google "double insulated symbol"

If it has this symbol, its allowed to connect anyway around.

This is what your looking for
    1434755_com_double_ins.jpg

druidhill wrote: »
    It will work, but is there not a danger that you could be damaging electrical components over time?

No danger of that happening.

Ok, here are some pictures as promised. There's no writing on it whatsoever, but I'm pretty sure it's 220v.

Will I just take the risk? It's not the best pump really so I don't really mind if it gets damaged.

Id try 12v on it looking at them pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Where did you buy it?

Could be a counterfeit product made to look like a Sobo. Sobo pumps have CE certification, and if those are mains (AC) wires, they should be marked correctly.

Looking at it, from what little can be seen, it looks like it operates by repelling the top permanent magnet from the top pole of the core, and attracting the bottom one to the bottom pole, and the movement then opens a switch to start the cycle again. That would only work with DC if thats how it works.

• Advertisement

It was bought on ebay and came from China. The plug was originally a US one, plugged into a european adaptor. It was advertised as compatible with 220v.
    Robbie - not sure what you mean, what would you suggest doing?

It was bought on ebay and came from China. The plug was originally a US one, plugged into a european adaptor. It was advertised as compatible with 220v.
    Robbie - not sure what you mean, what would you suggest doing?

It could well be 220v alright, but it looks a bit dodgy really. A proper 220v aquarium pump would usually have any connections in it sealed in resin and have a double insulated supply cable, as in the 2 inner wires would be inside another second layer of insulation.

It could well be 220v alright, but it looks a bit dodgy really. A proper 220v aquarium pump would usually have any connections in it sealed in resin and have a double insulated supply cable, as in the 2 inner wires would be inside another second layer of insulation.

Yeah, I know it's probably not the best pump, I don't mind if I have to get another one.
    In case it wasn't clear though, this is an air pump, not water pump. Not sure that makes much difference?

Advertisement