Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part L Building Regulations 2011

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Chris Arch

sydthebeat wrote: »
    wood fuel is currently consdier renewable energy source, much the same as wind.

currently wind generation is approx 11% of irelands power needs, there is a push to get this to a target of 40% by 2020. AFAIK the current input isnt referenced in DEAP but im open to connection on that.

of course, the national grid fuel system is a huge topic and not one fo rhere... so lets keep this on topic.

on the CPC issue, im not sure of your calculations, but any of mine that ive tried there has all been a very slight worsening of the CPC when choosing HP over wood fuel.

If the grid is 33% efficient as you stated, and the heat pump (air to air) is 350% efficient, it produces a combined efficiency of 116% for a heat pump connected on the Irish grid, compared to 80% for your stove...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,452 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Chris, you are really getting into semantics at that stage and i dont want to keep going off topic.. but

1. there are no air to air heat pumps on the harp database
    That means you are restricted in using either
    (a) DEAP default values whcih are crap in the extreme or
    (b) manufacturers certified data.. which may be questionable if not in accordance with relevant EN's

2. that 36% difference in efficiencies is insignificant when compared to the approx 325% difference in the kwhr unit cost.

Chris, you are really getting into semantics at that stage and i dont want to keep going off topic.. but

1. there are no air to air heat pumps on the harp database
    That means you are restricted in using manufacturers certified data.. which may be questionable if not in accordance with relevant EN's

2. that 36% difference in efficiencies is insignificant when compared to the approx 325% difference in the kwhr unit cost.

I am just defending a possible way to comply with part F...

With regard to cost, in dublin, where I work, the cost of storing wood would need to be taken into account, the cost of delivery too...

I am insisting because you accused me of mis-informing my clients. I used an air to air heat pump once. It was the clients' choice not mine, we proposed other alternatives, such as an air to water heat pump with under-floor heating...

I would say that the clients preference between an air to air heat pump and wood stove as a secondary heating system will be down to personality and life style...

I will also add that considering a wood stove as a green source of energy is somewhat ironic when considering a sustainable future... But this is politics...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,452 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Chris Arch wrote: »
    I am insisting because you accused me of mis-informing my clients.

be very careful.... read back what i said.. and you will discover i never made any such accusation. I said EXACTLY what i said.

I also said
    chris, obviously you are singing the praises of using an air to air heat pump as a secondary heating source and fair dues to any client who can afford such luxury. You are entitled to stand up for your specification
    perhaps you missed that.

as for the cost of delivery and storage.... the whole premise of this argument is that are talking about a secondary heating source, which in the vast majority of situtaions tend to be room heaters anyway. I am not proposing anything off standard. The cost and storage of a few bags of blocks per week in winter time is minimal in my experience.

and some of us are interested in giving our client informed options...

This was the part that I was referring too...

Anyway many of my clients would prefer a stove as a secondary heating system, if they have the space and not concerned about tenants using it...

But still my personal position is that air to air heat pump are interesting options. I have used one in Dublin, I have been involved with 2 new dwellings in France recently air to air heat pumps were used and they are very enjoyable. They can also be used for cooling, but this may not be so useful in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,344 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hi,
    Im new to Boards, but I represent a group of engineers on a Masters program in UCD in the energy space that are currently looking at some research into providing a service to the industry to help get small renewable energy onto the grid.

Ideally I wolud like to put my queries to a forum interested in new construction developments /resedential and electrical renewables (PV/Wind/Hydro/CHP).

We have identified Part L and the requirements for renewable energy as part of new builds as a possible avenue for our business model.
    The service we THINK we could develop would be where we help building contractors/developers incorporate this into their housing development/one off /industrial unit and we take the pain of the appropriate design for the development and grid interconnection away from the developer.

The question is, Is that interesting to developers?
    Any takers for comment would be greaty appreciated!!! If there is another formum we can post onlet me know.

Cheers
    Max Power

Is there not a major issue in that I believe there is no longer a payment available to householder for energy exported to grid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

forum doesn't allow for college projects sorry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement