Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city centre book shop

• 14-11-2011 6:16pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I remember a really good bookshop in the city that also stocked Leonidas choccies. Is it still there, does it still do the choccies and is there a disabled parking bay very close at hand?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The Book Centre?
    Still sells the chocolates. Theres parking around the back of it. Not sure how many (if any) disabled spots are there though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

yipeee...thanks, hoping to hit there on Friday.Starved for a good bookshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

If you are in a wheelchair you might be better off parking in City Square and coming across from there as the footpaths and access might be better coming from there. Having said that I am not sure what the disabled parking and access is like around the back of the Book Centre.

I will be in around the town tomorrow and will have a look at this for you and let you know if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Ah I do love the Book Centre, it really is a great shop when you think of it.
    Except for my arch enemy who works there!

Any shop that sells Leonidas chocolates is a good shop, oh and the books also. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

There is at least one disabled space in the car park at the back of the book centre. Not sure if there's more than one. I'd think the Book Centre is fairly accessible from there - sometimes there are cars parked on the path but the road is a dead end so rarely cars on it - I often have to go out onto the road with my buggy and its no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Pray tell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Dude, you really need to up your game on the arch-enemy stakes.

I mean there is no greater reflection of your status in society than who your arch enemy is.

My arch enemy is Sarkozy, I have foiled many of his plots for world domination.

Think bigger, imagine if Lex Luther worked in a bookshop. Show some feckin pride man!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

seanybiker wrote: »
    Pray tell?

Nah I dont want to say his name because thats just mean. He's not that bad, he just likes to kick me out a lot. For understandable reasons I guess.

I have many arch enemies in Waterford. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not in a wheelchair, thankfully, but mobilty not great, I have a blue badge so can park in a disabled space.Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Its good but not as good as it used to be. Getting rid of a whole wall of reference books to put in a bloody cafe hurt the atmosphere of the place imo plus it lessened the range of books that they carry but a significant amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But in fairness they are up against Amazon. If you want coffee with your Amazon browsing you have to make it yourself! I think it is exceptionally peaceful and civilized to have a cup of coffee while deciding which book to give a home to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Two options;

One blue bay there on street parking across from River Island. Just head down the quay, take the right turn for City Square. At the top of that road take a right and then keep left. As the road swings around you will see River Island and across there are various spaces. One of which is a blue bay. From there, its easy access.

Second option is the one recommended, back of Book Center. On a weekend its a bit awkward to get around and is full most of the time. There are at least two blue bays tho. Heading down the quays, take the second right up Thomas St. Take the first right down O'Connell St. At the bottom of that road, take the last right before the road swings back onto the Quay. Then, take the next left and your in that car park.

City Square is flexible also, but a bit more of a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rather off-topic, but I didn't realise you can get a badge without actually being in a wheelchair. I have someone in that situation, I usually end up dropping him off, going to park, then fetching the car to pick up again. Must make some enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

I think that new cafe makes the place tbh. Love sitting there early on weekdays with my gallon of Java and a scone plus the music section is right there so I'm slowly reading thru all the rock biographies.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

No, the reference section was moved. There is still plenty of space for books, they had enough room to add in the Imaginarium as well. Besides, the reference books haven't been there long, seeing as its not that long since the mezzanine carried dvds and cds.

looksee wrote: »
    Rather off-topic, but I didn't realise you can get a badge without actually being in a wheelchair. I have someone in that situation, I usually end up dropping him off, going to park, then fetching the car to pick up again. Must make some enquiries.
    Pm-ed you.

@ OP

sorry I didnt get to check this out for you due to unforeseen circumstances in work and also I see at this stage that Sully has kindly answered your question for me.

I will be in around the town centre tomorrow for sure and can check anything for you if you require further info. :)

Thanks all, that's me sorted (provided no git has parked illegally in the disabled bay:p )

Thanks all, that's me sorted (provided no git has parked illegally in the disabled bay:p )

Thats the bit I would be afraid of. Fingers crossed you may be lucky that you get a moron free day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

No, the reference section was moved. There is still plenty of space for books, they had enough room to add in the Imaginarium as well. Besides, the reference books haven't been there long, seeing as its not that long since the mezzanine carried dvds and cds.

Its years since the mezzanine carried dvds and cds (it was called zhivago at the end iirc), its at least 3 years since that was gone (possibly more). I went looking for the Travel section which used to have 4 shelf units under the steps, now its down to 2 shelf units by the railings on the mezzanine and you have to get through a scrum of people drinking coffee with their shopping bags all over the floor and mewling kids in tow.

Bit of a rant I know but I believe bookshops are for books, if you want coffee go to a cafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I was in that car park yesterday and noticed that as well as the two disabled parking bays in the main section of the car park there's another one on the small street that leads from there up to town - so just beside the side windows of Supermacs (if that makes sense!)
    That space is even nearer the Book Centre (not a huge amount closer but better than nothing), if its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

At the side door of Supermacs there is a disabled parking spot.

Edit: Oops hadn't read very last post!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

...I went looking for the Travel section which used to have 4 shelf units under the steps, now its down to 2 shelf units by the railings on the mezzanine and you have to get through a scrum of people drinking coffee with their shopping bags all over the floor and mewling kids in tow.

Bit of a rant I know but I believe bookshops are for books, if you want coffee go to a cafe.

This. This so much.

Also, the language section seems even *more* microscopic now its moved to the cafe.

thanks guys, you've all been so helpful. Looking forward to splurging on lots of books. 6 women in total landing for the weekend so we'll do our bit for the retail sector :D

ENJOY

well, thanks all, managed to find the supermacs one,after several circuits of the city, due to the one way system!:D:D

I forgot that the book shop has lots of steps so only managed to see some of the place, but I appreciate all of your help.

Had a lovely weekend in Faithlegg and surrounding areas and am now tucking into some carrot cake from the little Amish bakery.
    Thanks again!

Advertisement