Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No master socket, Broadband quality is terrible.?

Options
  • 14-11-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Do I have to pay Eircom to install a master socket?
    I've a house that has no Eircom Master socket, just a split of wires to multiple jacks; only two in use currently.
    All sockets are fitted with DSL phone filters.

Line and calls are charged by Eircom,
    Broadband by another provider, who says line quality is very poor.
    What should I do/arrange? Which provider is responsible for what?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The master socket does absolutely nothing other than facilitate line testing and demarcation between your internal wiring and eircom's network.

Simplify your internal wiring and making sure that you're using good quality cable eg CAT 5!.

Adding a master socket won't really do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

if you can fit a socket yourself were the cable comes in then disconnect the 2 other extension sockets at that point, try broadband then it may be a case that 1 of the extensions is causing the fault, if broadband improves then connect extensions 1 by 1 perhaps one is faulty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

andublin wrote: »
    Do I have to pay Eircom to install a master socket?
    I've a house that has no Eircom Master socket, just a split of wires to multiple jacks; only two in use currently.
    All sockets are fitted with DSL phone filters.

Line and calls are charged by Eircom,
    Broadband by another provider, who says line quality is very poor.
    What should I do/arrange? Which provider is responsible for what?
    Thanks!

Hi andublin,

Thanks for contacting the eircom Forum on Boards.

All premises will have a master phone socket (MDP), or main phone point installed during the initial order. If it is broken or needs repaired then eircom may need to assess if this is a fault with their equipment or if this is related to non-eircom activity.

If you are currently able to make and receive calls with eircom then this would indicate their may be no problem with your phoneline. If you have a broadband problem alone you will to contact your Internet provider (broadband support) to help you resolve this. This may mean your broadband provider contacting eircom to check the phoneline connections and external wiring.

From what you indicate, it would appear this is primarily a broadband problem, and therefore you will need to contact your broadband provider's Support for help.

If you're having a problem making or receiving calls, then you should contact eircom Telephone line Support on 1901. A test will be able to confirm if you Master Phone Socket is correctly setup. If no faults are found on the line, then you should contact your Internet provider.

It does sound like there is an extensive wiring and possibly third party dsl filters attached to this point, so you may also need assistance from a electrician or internal wiring phoneline provider.

Best regards,
    Ant

Advertisement