Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCB trips rcd

Options
  • 14-11-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

MCB trips rcd.

I have a 25 A RCD type A and a 20 a MCB and cable to one double socket.

the RCD can be set and will trip with the test button. However when I set the RCD and then set the MCB, the RCD trips.

Any ideas I should be looking for? I haven't ckecked the double socket yet. No light in that room at moment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

possible neutral - earth pinched behind socket
    or retaining screw through neutral wire

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

MCB trips rcd.

I have a 25 A RCD type A and a 20 a MCB and cable to one double socket.

the RCD can be set and will trip with the test button. However when I set the RCD and then set the MCB, the RCD trips.

Any ideas I should be looking for? I haven't ckecked the double socket yet. No light in that room at moment

Yeah it definatly sounds like a neutral to earth fault on the circuit supplied by the mcb. More than likely at the socket as meercat said.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

I had the cable neutral connect to the neutral bar instead of returning via the RCD. Will fix tomorrow and report back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

sparcocars wrote: »
    Yeah it definatly sounds like a neutral to earth fault on the circuit supplied by the mcb. More than likely at the socket as meercat said.

Probably worth a mention that a neutral-earth fault tripping the RCD as in the OP, doesnt certainly have to be on the MCB circuit being switched on when the problem is occuring.

There would have to be a load on the circuit the MCB is controlling for it to happen though. Just as there would have been, to trip in the case here with wrong neutral bar connection.

Ok, I've connected the neutral to the the RCD. The MCB no longer trips. I have only one double socket on that circuit and testing with a lamp shows it working

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you're testing the circuit with a lamp?

M cebee wrote: »
    you're testing the circuit with a lamp?

just for the moment. tools elsewhere

Advertisement