Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on eye referrals for toddlers please!

Options
  • 14-11-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I lived in the UK with my two and a half year old until April of this year. She was diagnosed with a retinal coloboma when she was 6 months old which means that part of her retina and optic disk didn't finish growing in the womb so she's missing big chunks. This means that she either has impaired or no vision in one eye. She was seen every two months in the UK for tests and assessment and the last step was to be put under general anasthetic so they could get a better look.

I started work on getting a referral in April when we arrived here. It took until August before the GP got his act together to do it and then I receive a letter from Temple Street to say that she can have an appointment in April 2012!! So a year since she's been seen when she was meant to be monitored every two months. If she does have sight in the bad eye, it deteriorates without treatment which she's not getting right now.

I rang and asked for another appointment and explained the circumstances and was told she could have one in November or December. November came with no letter so I rang and was told they'd been busy and hadn't made any new appointments since I spoke to them last. So I'm to keep ringing to see if that changes...

Is there anywhere else she can be referred to so that she actually gets seen? I can't believe that with something like sight that can be improved if acted upon, they are happy to leave a child a year without seeing them.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You could go private.

If not ask your gp or phn to make an urgent referral and it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lu28

Unfortunately I'm looking for work at the moment so private isn't an option. I'll call again tomorrow and if I get no joy look at going to the GP again. It's so frustrating.

Advertisement