Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Doing an MA in Politics or Msc in Criminology in UCD?

Options
  • 14-11-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

These two postgrads are my main choices so i'm just wondering if anyone here is doing either of them? I'd just like some general information about the course(s), quality of lecturers etc.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

Well I'm doing the MSc Human Rights under UCD's School of Politics and International Relations so I might be of some limited use to you.

Under the MA Politics you should have a wide and attractive choice of modules; looking at my timetable (which includes all courses) you'll even have the option of taking stuff under the philosophy and geography departments too.

In this term what I'm doing which could be relevant to you (I have one law module which will be off-limits in your course) is Africa in Crisis? and Theory of Human Rights. Both are very interesting; Africa in Crisis? provides a comprehensive view of various socio-economic and historical issues in mostly Sub-Saharan Africa and the lecturer is very knowledgeable and friendly. Theory of HR is challenging for someone with no philosophical background (me) as despite being a Politics run course it deals with mostly philosophical concepts, but it is quite rewarding at the end of the day. And the lecturer is a bit of a legend really; excellent at his job and seems to be a great people person.

The modules on offer are a big selling point I think, and the staff are highly qualified. If you have any questions I will try to field them, but I have only been here 3 months and haven't even had assignment feedback yet (I can warn you that essays are in the region of 4000-5000 words :D) so I can't speak from too much experience yet.

VALIS wrote: »
    Well I'm doing the MSc Human Rights under UCD's School of Politics and International Relations so I might be of some limited use to you.

Under the MA Politics you should have a wide and attractive choice of modules; looking at my timetable (which includes all courses) you'll even have the option of taking stuff under the philosophy and geography departments too.

In this term what I'm doing which could be relevant to you (I have one law module which will be off-limits in your course) is Africa in Crisis? and Theory of Human Rights. Both are very interesting; Africa in Crisis? provides a comprehensive view of various socio-economic and historical issues in mostly Sub-Saharan Africa and the lecturer is very knowledgeable and friendly. Theory of HR is challenging for someone with no philosophical background (me) as despite being a Politics run course it deals with mostly philosophical concepts, but it is quite rewarding at the end of the day. And the lecturer is a bit of a legend really; excellent at his job and seems to be a great people person.

The modules on offer are a big selling point I think, and the staff are highly qualified. If you have any questions I will try to field them, but I have only been here 3 months and haven't even had assignment feedback yet (I can warn you that essays are in the region of 4000-5000 words :D) so I can't speak from too much experience yet.

Thanks for replying! How do you find the department overall? Lecturers etc.

Also, how did you find the application process? Do you know if there's much demand for postgrads in the department? I'm just a bit paranoid about my applications getting rejected for some reason or another. I've been a 2.1 student all through university and i'm a mature student too so hopefully that'll actually be an advantage!

I've been finding the department quite good so far; I certainly have no complaints and there has been no lack of efficiency (although we'll see if the high standards are maintained when I am allocated a thesis supervisor--then I'll be at the mercy of somebody's schedule).

The application process was smooth; you can probably make it even smoother by getting your academic references now (I got 2 although I think only 1 might be necessary). The application process is all online, the only hardcopy they require is of your exam transcripts.

Maintain your 2:1 standard and you will be fine, I was (and hopefully will continue to be :eek:) a 2:1 student. I think there are about 10-11 people doing the MSc strand of Human Rights (there is a further 10-15 doing an LLM but we have the same core modules), so if you were concerned perhaps you could even apply for this too as the demand apparently isn't intense? But I don't think you will have any problems getting into the MA Politics anyway, so I wouldn't worry.

VALIS wrote: »
    I've been finding the department quite good so far; I certainly have no complaints and there has been no lack of efficiency (although we'll see if the high standards are maintained when I am allocated a thesis supervisor--then I'll be at the mercy of somebody's schedule).

The application process was smooth; you can probably make it even smoother by getting your academic references now (I got 2 although I think only 1 might be necessary). The application process is all online, the only hardcopy they require is of your exam transcripts.

Maintain your 2:1 standard and you will be fine, I was (and hopefully will continue to be :eek:) a 2:1 student. I think there are about 10-11 people doing the MSc strand of Human Rights (there is a further 10-15 doing an LLM but we have the same core modules), so if you were concerned perhaps you could even apply for this too as the demand apparently isn't intense? But I don't think you will have any problems getting into the MA Politics anyway, so I wouldn't worry.

Great. Thanks for the info! I'm fairly confident about getting it but you can never be too sure. I know i'm going to get a pretty good reference from my supervisor and I also managed to score a reference from the head of my department, so hopefully all of that will be to my advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Currently doing the MA in Politics at UCD so I'll help you out here.

As already stated, there is great choice with regard to modules. You can go across departments if you like. There are 2 core modules, one in each semester. The first is Comparative European Politics and the second is Debates on Citizenship. You can then supplement these with your own area of interest from the options.

As for lecturers, to be honest I've found the standard to be extremely good.

There's a few similar courses and we are mixed in together in different modules, things like International Relations, Ethnic Conflict etc depends on your own preference. I got in with a 2.1 so you should be able to get it. I can't remember when I applied for the course, I think the first round of closing was in March or something, so start getting your references and that craic, should be all on the UCD website for you.

Tupamaros wrote: »
    Currently doing the MA in Politics at UCD so I'll help you out here.

As already stated, there is great choice with regard to modules. You can go across departments if you like. There are 2 core modules, one in each semester. The first is Comparative European Politics and the second is Debates on Citizenship. You can then supplement these with your own area of interest from the options.

As for lecturers, to be honest I've found the standard to be extremely good.

There's a few similar courses and we are mixed in together in different modules, things like International Relations, Ethnic Conflict etc depends on your own preference. I got in with a 2.1 so you should be able to get it. I can't remember when I applied for the course, I think the first round of closing was in March or something, so start getting your references and that craic, should be all on the UCD website for you.

Awesome!!

I guess i'd like to know which modules in particular stand out for you, i.e, which are your favourites?

Also, how do you find the lecturers' "slant" on things? Obviously there is going to be some level of bias but how do you find it?

Byron85 wrote: »
    Awesome!!

I guess i'd like to know which modules in particular stand out for you, i.e, which are your favourites?

Also, how do you find the lecturers' "slant" on things? Obviously there is going to be some level of bias but how do you find it?

If you have strong opinions you will inevitable cross swords in class with your lecturers, who may be coming at things from a different perspective. This has occurred with me, but my political views would be regarded as outside the norm. The important thing is that my experience thus far has been any disagreements you have on issues with lecturers is dealt with in a good spirit. I had a good laugh the other day with one of my lecturers about our different ''views'' of the world. It has all been quite enjoyable and the lecturers, while obviously very busy and give you short email answers, are great for a chat if you go and see them in their office hours.

I would suggest that lecturers having a 'slant' is not something unique to UCD, it's unique to all individual lecturers. They are only human, not perfectly objective robots. You will find a variety of political persuasions in UCD, from capitalist libertarians to those who are staunchly anti-Western imperialism. Those are well outside the norm though, most lecturers are middle of the road, they don't veer too far from the centre either way.

It's been very enjoyable and challenging thus far.

Edit: Forgot to mention my favourite and least favourite modules. It just reflects my interests to be honest. I'm interested in international conflict, so no guessing which I liked and didn't like out of studying European electoral systems and studying international security. There's plenty to choose from, and no exams which is great. You are assessed mainly through essays.

If you have strong opinions you will inevitable cross swords in class with your lecturers, who may be coming at things from a different perspective. This has occurred with me, but my political views would be regarded as outside the norm. The important thing is that my experience thus far has been any disagreements you have on issues with lecturers is dealt with in a good spirit. I had a good laugh the other day with one of my lecturers about our different ''views'' of the world. It has all been quite enjoyable and the lecturers, while obviously very busy and give you short email answers, are great for a chat if you go and see them in their office hours.

I would suggest that lecturers having a 'slant' is not something unique to UCD, it's unique to all individual lecturers. They are only human, not perfectly objective robots. You will find a variety of political persuasions in UCD, from capitalist libertarians to those who are staunchly anti-Western imperialism. Those are well outside the norm though, most lecturers are middle of the road, they don't veer too far from the centre either way.

It's been very enjoyable and challenging thus far.

Edit: Forgot to mention my favourite and least favourite modules. It just reflects my interests to be honest. I'm interested in international conflict, so no guessing which I liked and didn't like out of studying European electoral systems and studying international security. There's plenty to choose from, and no exams which is great. You are assessed mainly through essays.

I'd have the same interests. Most of the modules i'd be looking to do would have an international leaning, such as Comparative Ethnic Conflict, Theory of Human Rights, US Foreign Policy and International Relations.

I'd have the same interests. Most of the modules i'd be looking to do would have an international leaning, such as Comparative Ethnic Conflict, Theory of Human Rights, US Foreign Policy and International Relations.

US Foreign Policy and Ethnic conflict are module options for second semester for me, I'm taking the former. Both of the other topics you mention are also catered for!

• Advertisement

I'm taking Comparative Ethnic Conflict next term--it has particularly interesting content and the assessment is half essay/half exam which lends itself to a little less pressure!

And I would recommend Theory of Human Rights, I've completed classes and the assignments at this stage and it was definitely an education and got me thinking analytically. You will particularly like it if you enjoy philosophy and even moreso if you are outgoing--the classes are very participative and debate driven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Brenner77

Hey

The UCD institute of Criminology is pretty good. The former director and now senior lecturer, Ian O'Donnell, is a really good guy with tons of publications and lots of lecturing experience. Hes also very approachable and interesting.

Re Criminology: the DIT MA is very high quality, lots of good lecturers like Mary Rogan, Mairead Seymour, Claire Hamilton, etc. Its certainly worth a look and is a well regarded course. I did the MA.

If you are interested in travelling then Queens Belfast has a fantastic institute with some of the most accomplished academics in the whole of UK and Eire, such as Shadd Maruna, Pete Shirlow, Phil Scratton, etc. I am currently doing a Criminology PhD in Queens and I highly recommend it.

Also maybe look to individual academics in TCD who do a lot of Criminology work: Eoin O'Sullivan, Paul O'Mahony, and others.

Hope that helps.

B.

Brenner77 wrote: »
    Hey

The UCD institute of Criminology is pretty good. The former director and now senior lecturer, Ian O'Donnell, is a really good guy with tons of publications and lots of lecturing experience. Hes also very approachable and interesting.

Re Criminology: the DIT MA is very high quality, lots of good lecturers like Mary Rogan, Mairead Seymour, Claire Hamilton, etc. Its certainly worth a look and is a well regarded course. I did the MA.

If you are interested in travelling then Queens Belfast has a fantastic institute with some of the most accomplished academics in the whole of UK and Eire, such as Shadd Maruna, Pete Shirlow, Phil Scratton, etc. I am currently doing a Criminology PhD in Queens and I highly recommend it.

Also maybe look to individual academics in TCD who do a lot of Criminology work: Eoin O'Sullivan, Paul O'Mahony, and others.

Hope that helps.

B.

I had a quick look at Queens but didn't consider it again for some reason. Will take another look at it. Thanks for the info! : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Brenner77

If you are seriously considering criminology, then here a taste of the quality of theory to expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoumuRRwOqY

Don't suppose any of you know when the application process for the SPIRE in UCD opens? Time is marching on and i'm anxious to get my application sent in!

Don't suppose any of you know when the application process for the SPIRE in UCD opens? Time is marching on and i'm anxious to get my application sent in!

Not sure but it wasnt long after this that I applied. I would suggest dropping them an email to know for sure.

Not sure but it wasnt long after this that I applied. I would suggest dropping them an email to know for sure.

The applications opened today!

Just an update on this, but yesterday I got a conditional offer for the MA in Political Science. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cocaholic

When does the applications process close? haven't applied yet. Thinking of doing a Masters in International Relations, which is better the MSc or MA in IR? how many get accepted into UCD politics postgrads?

Advertisement