Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badger on the loose

• 14-11-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I'm living in a set of apartment blocks and we have an enclosed parking area. Anyway, have literally just arrived home and spent 10 minutes running away from a massive badger (he charged at me and then was in front my apartment door).

I've no idea how he got in, nor how he will get out. While I'm OK, I'm more concerned for the other residents/not even sure if badgers are dangerous! Although he definitely seemed so when charging at me!! I've no idea what to do/who to ring, etc! Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

despite their looks quiet a fast animal and usually run away from humans, is there any way that you can open the gates for a peroid of time and it will make its own way out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

An aggressive Badger is a very dangerous animal and could cause serious harm if it attacked someone. It is probably very frightened and confused, and perhaps in pain if it was tipped by a car or something, so is acting out as opposed to running away (likely it feels it has nowhere to go if it is trapped in a car park). The DSPCA may be able to take it and place it in a more suitable environment, give them a call and see what they can do (I'm assuming you are in the Dublin area).

You could leave a gate open or find somewhere for it to escape from the parking complex but it could end up getting injured if it got out and didn't know where it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

you are so lucky, I have never seen a badger. If your ok then dont worry about the neighbors too much, people can look after them selves well enough. Maybe call a wildlife welfare organisation and say you are concerned for the badgers safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

you are so lucky, I have never seen a badger. If your ok then dont worry about the neighbors too much, people can look after them selves well enough. Maybe call a wildlife welfare organisation and say you are concerned for the badgers safety.

I don't believe this, as noted above they can be aggressive in certain cases. The poor animal is more than likely scared and confused, however, with saying that the safety of the posters neighbours has to come first here, OP get on to the DSPCA, your post suggests you where concerned for your on safety and thankfully your are concerned for your neighbours.

Chris would you say the same is a neighbour or their child was attacked?

OP out of interest would you let us know how you got on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have rescued dozens of Badgers. Whilst they are not naturally aggressive they will defend themselves if they perceive a threat. They are also too big & strong to be handled by anyone without a lot of experience.

The obvious thing is to get the gate open. You may be better off calling the Guards as your nearest SPCA might react more quickly if the Guards call them. If there is a way out then the Badger will find it during the night when everything has calmed down.

Are you near countryside or could there be a more sinister reason why the Badger is there ? Again if you have any doubts then call the Guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Glad your ok, Call the DSPCA and see if they will help.

Couldn't resist sorry . . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Thanks everyone for the extremely helpful replies.

I was up this morning at 6.20am before work, and had a look around (not going to lie, my heart was very much in my mouth!) and saw no sign of the badger.

With regards the layout of the place, we're next to a main road, so I don't think (if he hasn't already) letting him out would be the best idea. Also, the problem is we have automatic gates, so would not be able to keep them open.

I'm going to see if he's still about this evening, and if he is, I will give a call to the guards . I am quite concerned for neighbours, as I'm pretty fit and not the smallest lad, and I was frankly sh1tting it with that guy running after me!

Edit: also, Chris, with all due respect, the badger was extremely aggressive, I was seriously concerned for my welfare, and had I not been able to out run it, I would have been attacked. I have a bunch of young college students (girls) next door to me, and an elderly gentleman across the way - I hate to think what might happen should they find the badger in an equally aggressive state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭listermint

hada wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the extremely helpful replies.

I was up this morning at 6.20am before work, and had a look around (not going to lie, my heart was very much in my mouth!) and saw no sign of the badger.

With regards the layout of the place, we're next to a main road, so I don't think (if he hasn't already) letting him out would be the best idea. Also, the problem is we have automatic gates, so would not be able to keep them open.

I'm going to see if he's still about this evening, and if he is, I will give a call to the guards . I am quite concerned for neighbours, as I'm pretty fit and not the smallest lad, and I was frankly sh1tting it with that guy running after me!

DONT call the guards its a waste of their time. Call the DSPCA as you have been instructed to several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Badgers have pretty poor eyesight, I doubt they will look at young women/elderly man and think they are an easier 'prey' You never know, the other residents could have more experience with them.

I understand that you are weary as they can get a fright if you come upon each other unexpectedly. They are a badger is a person is dumb enough to corner them and get too close. I imagine the badger is ****ting him/herself too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

So im living in a den beside a set of apartments blocks near an enclosed parking are. anyway, have litterally just arrived home and spent 10 mins running away from a scary human (he charged at me and then was in front of my den).

Ive no idea where the human came from, While i'm ok, I'm more concerned for the other badgers/not even sure humans are dangerous!
    Although the human definatly seemed so when charging at me!! i've no idea what to do/who to ring, etc Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Irish Wildlife Trust

Hi Hada, glad your ok and nice to see your concern for all involved. Hope all worked out in the end.
    irish.wildlife.matters provide advice and assistance in these wildlife situations. Spare a thought for the poor badger who was reacting out of fear and confusion. Our tax payers money is spent every year snaring these beautiful animals. 115,000 killed since 1984, 6000 snares set nightly, €70 million allocated to disease eradication this year alone. All this and badgers are protected by irish and european law. We are trying to stop this with your help. Please sign our petition at iwt.ie

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,323 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Irish Wildlife Trust, before you post any further on Boards, could you please contact the office at reps@boards.ie regarding the creation of a verified rep account. Thanks.

Advertisement