Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who - Hollywood Film?

Options
  • 14-11-2011 9:23pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just read this:
    http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/doctor-who-feature-david-yates-nadam.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FilmSchoolRejects+%28Film+School+Rejects%29

I'm really trying to be open-minded about this possibility, but I'm failing miserably.
    David Yates to Create a Brand New ‘Doctor Who’ For Hollywood

Published on November 14th, 2011

Written by: Nathan Adams

There has been a lot of speculation as to what director David Yates would work on now that he’s done capping off the Harry Potter franchise with four hugely successful films. He’s got a lot of offers on the table, a lot of irons in the fire, and up until this point it has mostly seemed like he would be able to choose whatever he wants to do. But that may no longer be the case. News coming out of Variety suggests that Yates isn’t going to be able to do whatever he wants to do…but whenever he wants to do.

That’s right, Yates is teaming up with the BBC to create a big budget, big screen, Big McLarge Huge version of everyone’s favorite Time Lord, Doctor Who. If you don’t know what Doctor Who is, then man you must really hate things that are British. When you talk about long-running TV shows, you’re talking about Doctor Who. Running all the way from 1963-1989 and then spawning a revival in 2005, Doctor Who is a science fiction show that concerns itself largely with rubber aliens, time-traveling police boxes, scarves, and David Tennant’s floppy hair. So far 11 different men have portrayed the Sonic Screwdriver wielding Doctor, and if Yates gets his way, this new film will introduce a 12th.

Fans of the current series shouldn’t fret though, what Yates has planned isn’t going to be connected to the beloved television series in any way. Instead, this will be a new approach to the Doctor designed to stand completely on its own. Seeing as Who is such a long enduring show with such a rabidly loyal fan base, Yates and company are seeing a big screen Who as an opportunity to launch a brand new franchise, something with name recognition that will pull in a lot of cash; but they understand that moving this universe from small screen to big isn’t going to be easy. The television series, especially back in its early days, is an extremely micro-budgeted affair, so it’s going to take a lot of thought to decide how to maintain the essence of the property but at the same time make it bigger and louder. To that end Yates says, “We’re looking at writers now. We’re going to spend two to three years to get it right. It needs quite a radical transformation to take it into the bigger arena.”

Despite the fact that this new version of the Doctor is meant to become a worldwide phenomenon, the new crew doesn’t plan on making him American or anything crazy. When speaking further about his writer search, Yates continued, “We want a British sensibility, but having said that, Steve Kloves wrote the Potter films and captured that British sensibility perfectly, so we are looking at American writers too.”

You know what that means, Internet, it’s time to start sending Yates and his BBC cohort Jane Tranter all of your Doctor Who fan-fiction that you still have stored on your hard drive from back when you were 13. This could be your chance to put your own stamp on the Whoverse and become a legend! Just remember, this is Hollywood, your script needs to be less Inspector Spacetime and more J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek. And if you could get a big name actor to attach himself to your script, it wouldn’t hurt.

Comments

Inspector Spacetime is the first thought in my head.

My second is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

Just saw this on digital spy. Hmmm, I'm not that keen on it being detached from the main series, as a fan I'd see it as kind of pointless... Then again could you make a movie out of the established series that could be watched by non-tv fans yet still appealing to those who watch the series? I mean you couldn't be relying to much on tv story arcs to build up to it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

dr Who movie rumour no 4,933 :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well they already tried out-of-continuity Doctor Who movies - twice - and in both cases the results were awful. Peter Cushing played "Doctor Who" in two big-screen, big budget adaptations of William Hartnell stories. Of course, back then there was no mythology to trod all over, but even so, the movies were baaaad.

This is an eminently silly idea from Yates and hopefully it won't get off the ground. First and foremost, I don't see the point. This isn't James Bond; you can't just swap actors and carry on like nothing happened. The Doctor is a clear set of 11 actors, based on a (now) fairly rigid mythology. So in that case, what are you hoping to achieve here? To my mind, it sounds like Yates wants to create a milkable series, based on a ready-made franchise.

Anyway, it could all be academic - there's no indication BBC have taken up this idea, seems just like cloud talk from Yates & his mate Tranter. I'm fairly sure that Jane Tranter & BBC Worldwide are subservient to BBC London, and they'd be the ones in charge of the Doctor Who brandname; and something tells me if a Who movie were to happen, it'd be controlled from HQ, and with the main players of the show in the background.

Wonder what Moffat makes of all this ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 phatrat1982

I know it will piss of a lot of fans and I know it would tank but I think it would be fun to see a Doctor Who movie on the big screen using todays standards because yeah the old ones were awful but honestly most movies from that period were just as bad anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I know it will piss of a lot of fans and I know it would tank but I think it would be fun to see a Doctor Who movie on the big screen using todays standards because yeah the old ones were awful but honestly most movies from that period were just as bad anyways.

That could be said of any era's films though. Equally, some of the best films of all time were made in the mid 60s.

Yeah but what I was saying was that style of film was common back then and the good films you speak of were not that type of film. Actually just for um clarification what films are you referring to because I can't think of any that spring to mind from that era. You must be older than I am. I guess I should clarify we are talking science fiction here not in general and today is an era where Science fiction really shines so all I meant was using todays standard for sci fi they could make a much better movie than they did back then.

Yeah but what I was saying was that style of film was common back then and the good films you speak of were not that type of film. Actually just for um clarification what films are you referring to because I can't think of any that spring to mind from that era. You must be older than I am.

Any of Hitchcock's canon?

But yes, sci-fi didn't come into its own until Star Wars really.

And judging solely by your username I'm only two years older than you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The Day the Earth Stood Still?

Oh I know it will suck but I'd still go see it just like the American Tochwood it was crap compared to the real Torchwood but I still watched it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Raphael wrote: »
    The Day the Earth Stood Still?
    That's 1950s :)

By the way, the BBC updated their facebook page:
    "There's been a lot of talk today about the possibility of a Doctor Who movie - a feature film remains in development with BBC Worldwide Productions in Los Angeles. But, as of yet there is no script, cast or production crew in place."

Which basically means ... absolutely nothing for now. This really is just cloud-talk by one enthusiastic director with nothing actually set in stone. Lots of projects fall into limbo before the cameras even start rolling (for example, the James Cameron Spiderman movie of the 90s, and the Superman movie starring Nicholas Cage of the same decade) so I wouldn't hold my breath this will ever take off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The Doctor's coming back to the big screen?
    Awesome!
    And it's about time too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dr Who movie rumour no 4,933 :D
    Yep. As a callow youth I awaited with bated breath the Tom Baker movie that was "In preproduction", especially after Star wars made sci fi fash again. More like production hell and they even had a script, something to do with the Doctor fighting the devil IIRC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

The announcment reminded me of this comic from a while back
    cad-20100702-55f6d.jpg

The only way I would get excited about this would be as follows:

Moffat writes it and this guy plays the Doctor:

nighy.jpg

The only way I would get excited about this would be as follows:

Moffat writes it and this guy plays the Doctor:

nighy.jpg
    Looking at the photo, I could sorta see Nighy playing an alternate version of Hartnell's doc; perhaps if the movies did do a reboot, you could restart the Doctor's life & have alternate takes on each regeneration. So Nighy as the 1st Doctor reboot, someone else as the Troughton mirror...

pixelburp wrote: »
    [...]

Wonder what Moffat makes of all this ...

Quoting my own posts, how narcissistic. Anyway, it seems Moffat has given his own thoughts on the likelyhood of this happening via a cryptic Tweet, which he later clarifies is in relation to Yates' madcap plans...

"Announcing my personal moonshot, starting from scratch. No money, no plan, no help from NASA. But I know where the moon is – I've seen it."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Moffat says no.
    To clarify: any Doctor Who movie would be made by the BBC team, star the current TV Doctor and certainly NOT be a Hollywood reboot.

Moffat says no.

I wonder is there some subtext there about the 2013 plans? Just the emphasis on the "current" TV doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I wonder is there some subtext there about the 2013 plans? Just the emphasis on the "current" TV doctor.

I think he means that if a movie were ever to be made, that'd be how it'd go down.

• Advertisement

I think he means that if a movie were ever to be made, that'd be how it'd go down.

Oh yeah, I'm reading it now as whoever is current at the time of it being made.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Well there have been recent winks and nods by smith & co about the anniversary year and what was in store. So while I think a cinema release is unlikely I wouldn't rule out a produced-for-tv feature length story to tie in with the celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Would love if the movie covered the 8th to 9th doctor, give Eccleston an hour on camera etc.

Art_Wolf wrote: »
    Would love if the movie covered the 8th to 9th doctor, give Eccleston an hour on camera etc.
    I'd say we can guarantee that'll never happen - just as the Doctor's own origins have never truly been explored (hush you in the corner reading Lungbarrow), the Time War is a convenient point of mystery I imagine the team will keep secret. I'm sure it'll be hinted at now & again, but I doubt we'll ever see / hear an account of what happened...

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well there have been recent winks and nods by smith & co about the anniversary year and what was in store. So while I think a cinema release is unlikely I wouldn't rule out a produced-for-tv feature length story to tie in with the celebrations

The SFX crowd that did the Harry Potter films may have been sounded out to do the Doctor Who film apparently. I have a decent source on this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, given Yates directed the last four movies of the Harry Potter series it would stand to reason that it was him that sounded out a company he'd already worked with for the prospective project?

The SFX crowd that did the Harry Potter films may have been sounded out to do the Doctor Who film apparently. I have a decent source on this too.

Interesting; I mean it's not a stretch to think the BBC will do something big for the 50th anniversary, the only question is what it will be. Hence my money being on the big TV-movie.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    Well, given Yates directed the last four movies of the Harry Potter series it would stand to reason that it was him that sounded out a company he'd already worked with for the prospective project?
    Even Yates himself admitted it was nothing at this point except a pipe-dream by himself & a random producer. Even if it was going ahead, which SFX house to use would be far down their priorities list; financial backing & a script would be bigger concerns ;) Plus, Moffat & Co. have repeatedly confirmed this is all just cloud talk

Sleepy wrote: »
    Well to be fair, that hardly proves anything; like I said, Yates admitted it was just cloud-talk & Moffat confirmed it. *shrug*

• Advertisement

Sorry, double post!

Advertisement